what pickups are these

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by fxdude, Jul 5, 2013.

1. fxdude

fxdude Junior Member

I have some old pickups in one of my 61 les pauls can someone tell me what they think these are, there are 2 wire holes in the back which I have not seen ..
    any help, they sound nice and brown...
    [​IMG]

2. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

The plates are not from Gibson PAF or early to mid-60's Patent No. pickups. Someone attempted to put tool marks on the feet. If they sound good, then it does not matter what they are. I have seen plates with two wire holes at opposite corners, but can't remember where right now. Rod would know for sure, but he is in limbo. Would you be willing to open the covers and post photos of the bobbins and lead wire?

Try looking for mounting plates with two holes on the diagonal. It seems like such a good idea, it should have been patented.

[​IMG]

3. fxdude

fxdude Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, I will open them later next week, if you find out let me know
    cheers
    Ken
    I do know they were replaced before 1971 that is when I got this guitar
    cheers
    ken

4. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

Be careful when you open them, since re-soldering them later could be problematic. If they are potted, you should probably avoid removing the covers at all. Experiment on something you don't care about.

Relink this post into the pickups section before proceeding.

5. bill m

bill m Senior Member

I have had pickups that look exactly like that from that same era. They were made by Aria in Japan, who at that time were making the epiphone guitars for Gibson. The pickups I had were stellar sounding and used many real Gibson components such as real T-Top bobbins. If you pop a cover on one of them and there are t-top bobbins then that will confirm it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member