What monitors/speakers are you using/have you used - and short review please

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, May 12, 2017.

1. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

^^^^WOW!!!^^^^^
    Nice stuff!

2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

I hope you didn't have the DEEP(TM) switch set, that would give you a shit ton of bass. I have my LF set to NORM, HF set to FLAT, input level set to LINE. You shouldn't set input to MIC, that would be overloading the signal.

Of the above presets I just tried, the 1959 SLP was the only one that sounded slightly boomy on the bass. The others sound normal on the bass, especially if the AX8 OUT1 is set lower than noon, the bass does not overwhelm at all.

How are you connecting your headphones to the AX8? I'll have to try that to compare the sound. Never tried using headphones with it before.

mdubya and frankv like this.
  3. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I'm only about six hours into my AX8, but my Seismic powered 15" floor monitor (350 watts) is sounding pretty nice. I'm getting more natural sounds out it (I've got two that I can run in stereo if I want, but I've backed off and am just using one, for now) than I am my studio headphones.

mdubya and frankv like this.
  4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

No, not using the DEEP switch. NORM/FLAT/LINE was my default from the start. Just experimented with the other settings to see what I could do.

Interesting results.

Initially through the right 1/4" output. That gave me one ear, only, but sounded really good as long as I didn't get too loud which would distort the headphones. I have since added a Y cable for headphones. Again, sounds beautiful as long as I don't go too loud. I am using an inexpensive pair of Sennheiser studio headphones. They sounded really flat and sterile with the Mustang, which preferred my Samsung earbuds. But they sound great with the AX8, which doesn't sound as good with the earbuds.

But...I want to hear that 1959 SLP sounding like the headphones (or reasonably close) through the monitor/speaker. The Badger and the Citrus and the Dual Rec Vintage and the JTM 45 all sound better through the 'phones, too. The Camp and the Tweed Deluxe sound OK through the QSC, but much better through headphones, too. The Super Reverb probably sounds the best through the QSC, and I tried some others like the Komet and some of the Dumbles which sounded good, but 1) not really my sound and 2) haven't listened to them through headphones.

It's all good fun trying everything out though. I just don't want to go changing all of these perfectly awesome presets just to chase my tail. Through headphones they ALL sound extraordinary.

5. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Ok first things first, I am going to admit up front that I did not read every single post here, so if I am repeating what someone else has already said, then please ignore me :facepalm:

When it comes to headphones, you are going to have a tough time matching what you are hearing through the headphones with a speaker in a room. I am sure I am not telling you anything you don't already know.

Headphones are a completely different beast than a speaker cabinet in a room. And depending on the headphones in question your results will vary. I too regularly play with headphones, and on the days when I play through my Adam A7x's I always have to make adjustments. Now remember the Adam's are GREAT monitors, But the problem is if I dialed the tone in on my closed back headphones, I have completely eliminated the room i am in from the equation, and I have speakers that are literally firing directly into my ears. So inevitable I always end up having to adjust my highs and lows. Presets created on my headphones always end up having more high end and low end then I need, and or want in my tone.

The more I have gotten to know the differences between how my headphones sound and how my speakers sound, I am starting to learn how to compensate between the 2, knowing how much high end to dial in via headphones in order for it to sound correct through my monitors, and knowing how much low end NOT to dial in to have it translate to my monitors. Sacrifices have to be made for one or the other.
    You may want to consider a nice set of open back headphones as they have a more open and lively sound to them which may sound a little closer to the sound of a speaker in the room, therefore giving you better results when switching between phones and speaker cab.
    Just my .2 cents.

Pop1655, frankv and mdubya like this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I agree and understand that a good headphones sound is going to be tough to reproduce through a speaker. But we are talking a $1300 modeler (the AX8) and a $600 powered speaker that is struggling to sound as good as my old $100 Mustang, live in the room. For another $100, I can get there again. I can hear how extraordinary the AX8 is through the headphones. When I was using the $130 powered speaker, I could understand the less than stellar results.

I have been tweaking away again this morning and, meh...average results, at best. :(

Maybe I should buy another Mustang and run the AX8 through that?

I have played direct into powered studio monitors before in recording situations and it sounded incredible; no wet blankets, no woofy bass, no spikey trebles. And these monitors were maybe $300 for the pair, nothing special.

What monitoring is Fractal using when creating these presets?

7. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

M, it sucks that you're not liking the QSC...I guess the only other thing I can offer to the thread is how is it positioned? mine are on a desk, so when I play they are at head level when I'm sitting. I did not find them to be boomy at all, that's kinda strange to me :hmm:

I run mine flat on the HF setting, and normal on the bass setting.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    mdubya likes this.
  8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Xitone passive 1 12 wedge with a GT1000 Matrix amp. Stop the madness and do it bro....

mdubya likes this.
  9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I have it sitting on a wooden chair. Last night I turned it on its side and also upside down. Both positions changed the sound.

This AM I put a wedge under the front edge to point it more directly at me. That was a definite improvement. But that 1959 SLP model still sounds bad. :laugh2:

I messed with the Badger and the JTM and a Jumped Plexi with some success, but each needed tweaking. I guess that is to be expected. Maybe the Mustang just punched way above its weight? Maybe I am just cranky this morning? I was just so excited by what I heard the first few days through headphones. I thought a decent monitor was going to get me close. I was disappointed as soon as I plugged in the QSC. Maybe I need to give up on that SLP model.

I am going to keep plugging away. It is sort of a briar patch situation. :)

10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Frank, do you find a difference between the powered Xitone and the passive + Matrix power amp?

frankv likes this.
  11. frankv

There is suppose to be a difference in the crossover network with a power bi-amped cabinet. I have not heard it if it's there. For me, passive with a GT1000 or 800 Matrix amp is the way to go. Even Rockton Velocity 300 power amps work great and for $250 on reverb might be the sleeper of all time

mdubya likes this.
  12. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Good thread Mdubya. I'm using a pair of Matrix Q12's with my Helix , Can't say enough good things about them. They are everything i hoped they would be.

mdubya likes this.
  13. frankv

mdubya likes this.
  14. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

GAMMA Alnico 12'' , AUDAX PR170ZO , FOSTEX FT17H

Fc = 500Hz / 6000Hz

[​IMG]

jdto, AmpedUp, Donal and 1 other person like this.
  15. tzd

tzd Senior Member

I just tried the AX8 with my Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm. Tried it through the Monitor of my Focusrite Scarlett, and also tried plugging into one channel of the AX8 output to hear sound on one side. Sounds completely flat, no bass, fizzy. It's the complete opposite experience for me, the K8 sounds worlds better than my headphone.

That said I don't think you will find any other speaker or amp/cab out there that would deliver less bass than the K8. The K8 is about as small as you can get for any speaker system.

mdubya and matthew bear like this.
  16. matthew bear

For me, I have noticed the kemper can sound a little bassy with the jtm 45 profiles, which makes sense, it's a bassy amp! for mashall sounds, the JCM 800 profiles had better "marshallyness" to me... As far I know, the K8 is flat as they come, so maybe the model you are using is just too bassy. And I have to say, I hate headphones. I haven't had any luck with any of the ones I've tried, so maybe just being used to the lack of bass has made the perceived bass overbearing in the K8. Regardless, this is supposed to be fun, so hopefully it's not becoming too big a downer!

mdubya likes this.
  17. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Have you tried just using some powered studio monitors?
    For really low volume playing they may be your best bet.
    I have a pair of 5" Yamaha powers studio monitors I can send you to try out.

mdubya likes this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Thank you for that very generous offer. Where are you located?

If I decide to keep auditioning things instead of taking Frank's (inevitable? :p ) advice, I will probably take the AX8 into the local GC.

1. I think you may be correct. I really do wonder how a pair of monitors would do.
    2. With lots of good suggestions and encouragement in this thread, I have made some good progress with the QSC.

I walked into GC planning to get the Alto TS212 for less than $300. I walked out with the QSC for $500 out the door, with the salesman's guarantee that it would blow the TS212 away. Now I wonder if the TS212 would have been just as good or better, for less. :hmm:

19. matthew bear

Well sheeit, go try it out! But upon further thought, A studio monitor setup might be the thing...

mdubya likes this.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

OK, you got me thinking about how I used my Bad Monkey as a power amp for my pedals into the Alto TX8 while the Mustang was down, and while I was waiting for the AX8. So, I thought, why not use it to power amp my headphones?

[​IMG]

First, I did the Y cable out of the AX8 and into the Bad Monkey and used the regular output from the Bad Monkey for the headphones. It sounded fooking great! Amazing! But only through the one side. So, I did mono out of the AX8 into the Bad Monkey and used the Y cable for stereo out of the 2 BM outputs (one is for direct recording and has a cab sim). Et viola! Both ears working.

But it was actually too hifi for my tastes. I unplugged the direct out and am now back to just single ear monitoring. But it sounds great. Sure it is not perfect, but I know people are looking for headphones solutions for their AX8's. We all have lots of miscellaneous pedals laying around, I am sure.

It does sound seriously good in the one ear, though. And I can at least use the 1959 SLP model with this setup. Still sounds glorious through 'phones. :)

Just thought I would share.

matthew bear likes this.