What monitors/speakers are you using/have you used - and short review please

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, May 12, 2017.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I would like to see us compile an ongoing list like we have in the Who's Who thread. I would like to see a reference of what everyone is using, what everyone has tried, and not have to dig through thread after thread.

I am as interested in why you didn't like something as I am in why you DO like something.

If this is redundant, my apologies.

mdubya
    • Alto TX8 - cheap, boxy, muffled, was kind of cool with just pedals.
    • QSC K8 - a little disappointing so far. Clearer than the TX8, still muffled. Think maybe I should have bought the Alto TS212. :hmm:
    Desperately seeking what I hear in headphones at low volume with no model tweaking required.

jdto and AllTheSound like this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Frankv
    • Atomic CLR passive wedge
    • Atomic CLR active Cab
    • Atomic CLR powered wedge
    • Xitone pair of passive wedges
    • Xitone powed wedge
    • Fostex 8inch studio monitors
    The Atomics and the Xitones are very similar. 6 in one Half dozen in the other. I did an AB comparison last month and kept the Xitone.

The studio monitors were good but in no way could they compare to the 12 inch wedges.

That's all I got M

jdto and mdubya like this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Excellent! Thank you, Frank! :thumb:

jdto likes this.
  4. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

First Modelling attempts:
    VOX ToneLab ST
    (fed to a clean channel on my Fender Delux amp)

Next (and what I still use at home in my music room):
    Line 6 Pod HD 400
    (I send the signal to 4 differnet amps (Orange, Marshall and Fender and to active Bose speakers for those where I use Speaker simulations))

My Band setup:
    Line 6 Helix
    Line 6 StageSource L2T

5. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

JBL Nearfield 8" woofer studio monitors x 2
    Mission Engineering Gemini 1x12
    I have never used anything else so I have no basis of comparison vs other monitors or FRFRs. But between the 2 I liked the JBLs better overall. They seemed to fill the room better for home use at friendly volumes.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  6. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Tried Yamaha HS8's. I think they're a wonderful, quality product but they just didn't do it for me. I blame me more than them, but they weren't what I was looking for. Don't know how to describe it. Just seemed a little cold and harsh (probably because they're a better speaker!!) but for me they just weren't pleasant to listen to.

Have JBL 305's. I think they're an inferior product to the Yamaha's, but I like em better. Pleasant sounding and functional.
    I wish I had JBL 308's. If I had done that, I think I'd be happy. Oh well.

Tried a JBL sub with the 305's. I get it's an improvement, but I just didn't think it justified its existence for me.

Based on a tip from a bud here, I wanted to try an Alto TS210. I ended up with a TS212. I know the first series Alto's don't get high marks on the www. The 2 series scores better. Had a coupon and a rebate, so what the heck! I was semi-amazed when I first fired up the TS212. I know it's a lower end unit. I don't know what kind of durability it might have in a hard life, real world application. I don't know what it will be doing 6 months from now. What I do know is that for me at least, I find it to be an incredible bang for the buck. It does just what I want and does it very well. $200 bucks well spent.

I wondered if the Alto TS210 would have been enough, so I ordered one during the TS212 return period.
    Same basic comments as the 212. I think they're great bang for the buck.

I like the TS212 better. The difference in size is not as noticeable to me as expected. Plus the 212 has a really neat additional handle molded into the top that to me makes it just as, if not more, easy to haul around.

I think the 210 is a hair cleaner. The 212 has more bottom and more punch.
    Trying to figure out which one to take back, what I stumbled on to is using the two as a pair. Had to tweak settings a little bit, but what I ended up with is a really nice sounding pair.
    If I want to grab and go, I can choose 10 or 12 based on the particular need.

I hate to stand on a soapbox and endorse what I know to be a lower tier product, but for me the Alto's have to date proven to be in my opinion an incredible bang for the buck. I was still in the return window on the 10 and the other day gave serious consideration to returning it and getting one of the old series QSC 10's they're blowing out. In the end, I just couldn't make myself do it. Just didn't see the need. May have been a mistake. Time will tell. I like what I've got. (If that was a mistake, yell at me now!!! I could still pull that off)

Side note on the Alto: It came with a mail in rebate. Filled it out, sent it in and could not believe how fast they sent the check. I guess I was halfway expecting to wait forever or get jacked around in some way. I had the check in days. That really impressed me!!!

jdto, Sean D and mdubya like this.
  7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

At home - 75% of the time - I am using a JBL LSR305 w/ matching subwoofer studio monitor rig. The sound is balanced and full - but definitely takes on more of the "recorded in a studio" type of guitar sound. I rarely use my live presets this way, pretty much just the factory presets or my recording presets.

When I am practicing band material or writing for the band, I will use my EV ZLX12P powered PA cab. It has two input channels. The first is run pretty hot for my stage/rehearsal volume. The second channel is quieter for home play. Prior to buying the EV I tested a lot of the (at the time) "preferred" cabs - the QSC K, the Yamaha, the Alto. I went with the EV because I have used EV speakers in my guitar rigs for years. I found that my presets sounded "best" to my ears through the EV cab. The clarity and girth I was used to hearing was more evident with the EV cab vs. the others. In truth, I LOVED the QSC but it was too neutral. The EV "colored" in a way that I found to be "right" for how I want my guitar to sound.

Live and in rehearsal I use the EV ZLX12P powered PA cab also. Same reasons as above.

jdto, mdubya and Pop1655 like this.
  8. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I use a pair of JBL LSR308 8 " monitors most of the time at home. They are perfect for the Kemper, and darn close to that good for the Axe. As others mentioned, they give a great room filling sound at home. I also run a subwoofer, primarily for when I use Band in a box, or my Trio. Everything runs to my Sapphire mixer, and it to both the matrix and the JBLs.

Matrix gt1000fx SS rack power amp - I just love this amp. Great tone, great feel, etc.

Atomic CLR Passive 1x12 - I would have been happy with this. There is nothing negative at all to say about it, except maybe it's weight.

Xitone 2x12 passive - This adds such an amount of air and space and fullness over the 1x12.

9. frankv

I kick myself every time I think that I had the unit and didn't complete the deal.

jdto likes this.
  10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Great comments! :applause:

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing your experiences.

I am still experimenting with the eq options on QSC K8. It seems like at the volumes I am playing (very quiet) that the bass ports are overwhelming the rest. Also, the volume may be too low for the speaker. :hmm:

I have experimented with the global eq on the AX8, reducing bass, boosting treble and mids, and with using the low cut on the cabs in the models.

I don't like doing that because the stock models sound so good through 'phones.

If I thought I had a slam dunk solution for my low volume situation, I would at least know what I am working towards. The obvious answer is to play through headphones, but I like the freedom of playing without them when I can.

With the Mustang, I had a great low volume tone. Through headphones it was even better. Now, the AX8 has infinitely better models, but the low volume, live tone isn't there, yet.

11. frankv

You have a slam dunk. Buy the Xitone active or passive wedge.. Done and done. There is no need for research. I have already done it for you. hahahahaha

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I was worried it might sound woofy at the low volumes I use (like the QSC).

frankv likes this.
  13. frankv

Not even close M.. Not even close.. Do you want to try my cabinet? Pay shipping and I will ship it to you. If you like it you can keep it. I'll give you the cost price.

14. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Which AX8 preset are you playing through, and how are you setting your volume level with the AX8 OUT1 knob, and the K8's GAIN A Knob (assuming you are plugging AX8's OUT1 into K8's A input)?

My AX8 OUT1 is set at 12 o'clock and K8 GAIN A at 2 notches above OFF. The AX8 preset I use the most are USA Clean and Brit Pre Lead. Don't have any problem with boomy bass.

mdubya likes this.
  15. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I've been running these kevlar woofer, dome tweeter, Teac LS-MC95's (found an add with pics of them). http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/teac_2_way_speaker_system_ls_mc95.html

These speakers have been working well with an old crown D-75 frfr amp for most of the low volume duties. They translate well to another setup of an Peavey PV-900 with Realistic PA-99 PA Speaker pair. Had a nice visit with Frankv and will eventually get into a true FRFR wedge as the $$ comes about.
    Congrats Mdubya on the newly aqquired modeler.

mdubya likes this.
  16. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Hey Frank, that is extremely generous of you. I have a busy week coming up, but you've got me thinking. And of course, I am still tweaking away the the QSC. :p

17. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I've had the M-Audio BX5a Powered Montiors for a few years now. They aren't meant to fill a room but work fine for near field use and the set was under $300 CAD. When I get my LT I'll likey buy a Alto TS210A (single) for home use. Then I can play music on my BX5as and play along listeing with the Alto. SHould be fine for home use.

mdubya likes this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I have tried Gain A and B on the QSC, just to see (hear) if there is any difference. I have been experimenting with gain knob on notch 1 and notch 2 with the AX8 OUT1 between 9 o'clock and noon on the dial. I have also been trying the switches on the back of the QSC. It seems to sound least bass-y on the Mic setting over the flat setting.

The main model I am working with is the 1959 SLP, Bank 1 #5. Through headphones, it is straight up AC/DC perfection and reminds me of my favorite plexis that I have played: you play AC/DC, it sounds like AC/DC. You play Hendrix, it sounds like Hendrix. You play Free, it sounds like Free. Same for Led Zep, The Who, Black Sabbath. What comes out of the QSC is not completely horrible on its own, but it is a far cry from what I hear through the 'phones.

And while the changes I have experimented with have made it less woofy, it still doesn't sound great. Same with the Badger 18, the Dual Rec Vintage, the Citrus, the JTM 45. All of those seem to be suffering vs. what I hear through the headphones.

I can dial up and lead tone and wail away and it sounds fine, but the cool, old Marshall rhythm tones those groups are known for won't come through the QSC the way I want them too.

Keep in mind, I am playing quietly enough that I am accompanying myself acoustically. But it is not better when I turn it up (which I can only do very sparingly).

I did a few recordings of the live tone, and they confirm the less than spectacular results.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  19. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

It will be. I've done it.
    I'd also suggest trying running both through both. The 5's will give your guitar a touch of stereo and the Alto will give your music a little punch.

.....and then (if you're like me) after a couple of weeks, make sure you've got room on the card for another 10. :laugh2: :laugh2:

mdubya likes this.
  20. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

My main gig, Line 6 Helix into FOH, no idea what that equipment is; I have never looked at it, but it is BIG and LOUD; we use IEMs to monitor.

My "one-man show," Line 6 Helix into StageScape M20d and a pair of Line 6 L3T and one L2T as stage monitor.

All of it sounds great, but really way too much for a one-man act, but I hope to form another band soon when I find "the right bunch of fellas."

mdubya likes this.