What makes employees work harder?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by KSG_Standard, Aug 30, 2013.

1. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

What Makes Employees Work Harder: Punishment or Pampering? - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

2. MineGoesTo11

MineGoesTo11 Senior Member

Not being a dickhead to your people is a good start.

25 people like this.
  3. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

It might increase productivity but it would also increase turn over I imagine?

2 people like this.
  4. zeronalo

zeronalo Senior Member

Little bit of both if necessary

Freddy

5 people like this.
  5. hecube

hecube Senior Member

Work ethics is overrated.

1 person likes this.
  6. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

This is a fact. The Nazis were able to get the Jews to work harder by threatening them with layoffs (layoffs meaning death). The problem, however, was that the Jews got their revenge by making a shoddier product, such as bombs that didn't blow up.

Now, people, you get a glimpse into the workings of the typical neocon businessman buhrain. And you think we don't need unions?

11 people like this.
  7. your idol

your idol Senior Member

My job used to have feel good bosses. I kicked ass.

They switched up to feel bad bosses recently... Bully techniques and constant monitoring and coaching. Started killing my productivity. Told em stuff it up their ass, i quit.

22 people like this.
  8. KSG_Standard

Turns out that fear of being watched, monitored and measured, is as good a motivator as any other. I prefer to be left alone and independent, but damn If I'm not productive when I'm traveling with my boss.

5 people like this.
  9. Death Incarnate

Death Incarnate Premium V.I.P. Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I always worker harder for nice bosses.
    The key is to hire self starters and people who motivate themselves.

15 people like this.
  10. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

It depends on the individual, and a great boss understands this and adjusts accordingly. Some employees need the stick some need the carrot. Me? all I need is the occasional twerk and some hooch, well that plus a few coloring books, but sometimes I color outside of the lines cause I gotta be me.

4 people like this.
  11. Meatwad

Meatwad Senior Member

Screw the sticks and carrots......give 'em some
    [​IMG]
    BACON!!!!

I bet productivity and moral would drastically increase.

3 people like this.
  12. KSG_Standard

In a growing economy, particularly during a boom, employees have more choices in employment and employers are competing for labor, wages rise and perks increase. In a down economy, you have to show enough productivity to make you worth keeping...or at least you think you do.

The full article talks about the effects of video monitoring on productivity in the workplace too.

1 person likes this.
  13. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

Opinion: By being part of a team of hard workers. They will thrive on each other and cover for each other on weaker days.

4 people like this.
  14. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I think you're onto something there, how many people would still call in sick if they knew they could get bacon at work? Not many... is the answer I was getting at.

2 people like this.
  15. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

having come from a bad boss to a good boss recently, I do appreciate the good boss.

When it gets busy I don't mind busting my ass to work overtime for the good boss. But I resented doing the same for the old boss.

It also depends on the employee's motivation & values. Its up to a good boss to choose the right employee as well, so that their good nature does not get exploited.

5 people like this.
  16. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I worked all Labor Day weekend last year and I will this year. They want me to work hard, I aint going to do shit.

17. Rowdymoon

Rowdymoon Senior Member

They should compare crime and suicide rates for those same time periods...just sayin

1 person likes this.
  18. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

The most productive work I have ever done in my life, was when I was consulting and working from home. It wasn't anything like walking out the door at 5 and getting in your car to go home, and leaving it all behind your for the day. It was right there in the next room 24 hours a day.

I would wake up at 4 in the morning and start working, along with morning coffee. Then work until around 3 pm, take a nap, then go relax outside, or mow the grass. Then have some dinner and work some more, then pass out in the lazy boy. Then wake up at 4 and do it again. That went on for about three years.

I would make myself drive to town every week or two, to the post office or bank, just to keep the car in running order. A tank of gas could last me a month or two. Now its 50 dollars a pop, at least once or even twice a week. :cool:

There is nothing more rewarding, when the wife is gone all day at work, you get the 3 O'clock sleepies, pull the drapes and stretch out on the couch in front of an old black and white movie. Ahhhh, those were the days my friend...

6 people like this.
  19. 180gROC

180gROC Senior Member

5 figure bonuses usually did it for me.

The first time my boss handed me a check for $25k and said "Merry Christmas" I asked him if he'd like me to kill Santa Claus. Told him I could make it a clean job...

7 people like this.
  20. garweft

garweft Senior Member

When wages, or other desired outcomes, are tied to productivity, productivity will go up. Why work hard if you will make the same amount either way. At the same time, if you are putting in exceptional productivity but are still being pushed to do more, it's easy to feel defeated and wonder why you try so hard.

At least that's when I'm at my best. Bosses that recognize good work and reward it.

5 people like this.