What les paul copy do you think is best.

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by kpunk56, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Edubya

Edubya Junior Member

I think he was saying that the Gibson made knock-offs of Gibsons were the best to buy if you weren't going to buy a Gibson.

2. Edubya

Edubya Junior Member

My uncle had a 1970's Yamaha SL550... that was the first guitar I ever picked up and learned anything on. Years later I went to his house and played it again and it was unbelievable. It played as well as any Gibson I've ever picked up, but I've never seen one other than that one. If I had a chance, I would buy one of those in a heartbeat.

3 people like this.
  3. Edubya

Edubya Junior Member

man that Epiphone is stunning...

4. Pekri59

Pekri59 MLP Vendor

For me the Tokai LS1-R9 for Tokai Germany is the best Les Paul Copy for me. AAAA-Tops, Nitro-Laquer, Faber Hardware, Fretboard Bindings. I love this guitars.

5. SLA1

SLA1 Senior Member

6. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

I now don`t think there IS a best. I think most have either really great copies.... or dogs. And ya gotta find em by actual hands on playing. It all depends on how much love they get on the build line. Same with Gibson. The name on the headstock doesn`t guarentee it`s gonna rock.

7. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

No. You can only compare on specs. Among the new guitars, top end Tokais, Momose, and especially Navigators are all in the same league as Gibson Custom Shop guitars. That's in terms of materials and quality of construction (and even in Gibson CS, there's been the occasional shocking bit of poor quality control from time to time)

8. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Yes.

• There are Les Paul copies with pricetags ranging from $79 to well over $10K.
    • There are LP copies that are bolt neck, set neck, neck-through.
    • There are LP copies that weigh 6.5 lbs and others that weigh 15.
    • Some have extra jumbo frets and 20" radii fretboards, others have 10" radii and extra low frets (the fretless wonders come to mind).
    • There are a huge variety of pickups and electronics out there (including HSH versions with fiveways -- from Gibson!).
    • There are LP copies that have 30" scales, 28.65" scales, 27" scales, 25.5" scales, 24.75" scales and even 24" scales.
    • Some are hollowbody, some are chambered, some have thinner-than-normal bodies, some have holes drilled in them, some have balsa wood cores (these are, so far, all from Gibson itself).
    • Trussart makes them with metal bodies, there are 3D printed bodies (plastic), there are even carbon fiber bodies.
    • Some are done in woods that have absolutely no relation to traditional wood types (yeah, this includes Gibsons as well).
    • Bridges are all over the map: Floyds, Bigsbys, TOMs and some even have brass sustain blocks routed into the body of the guitar under the bridge.

9. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Bump !

1 person likes this.
  10. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

[​IMG]

11. Jock

Jock Senior Member

Sold my 2 Gibson Leas Paul customs and more than happy with my 2 Momose MLS1 Std and Bacchus Classic. Changed all the pickups though, a set of Pearly Gates in one Momose and Seth Lovers in the other Momose and in the Bacchus

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. thewizardofaz

thewizardofaz Senior Member

I have to be honest. Except for their very bottom class of Burny, they are just as good as many other clones and even genuine Gibson. The only thing I don't care for with them is the poly finish.
    I have owned one that I gave to my elder son as his first guitar. It was a Korina Kustom. My second guitar I still own and it's a kind of a clown burst plain top custom. Gorgeous and a really great tone.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214110982592958&set=p.10214110982592958&type=3&theater

13. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

The OP said he wanted to stay under 600 bucks, I bought a nice used Agile AL2000 off Ebay for 145 bucks. For the money it is a very good guitar.

14. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

15. matte

matte Senior Member