What les paul copy do you think is best.

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by kpunk56, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Barks McKay

Barks McKay Senior Member

Tokai forum folk are snobs?....and you dismiss probably the greatest Japanese independent guitar manufacturer when only ever trying a Fakia?
    Haha.
    The very fact that there ARE fake Tokais - as you have admitted to - goes to show why there is a necessary "snob" attitude ( as you put it) to make sure there is valuable, accurate and correct info out there for those looking for legitimate instruments.
    Those guys are doing a serious good service over there AND here - don't dismiss a hard line, truth search attitude for snobbery.

Also remember that Tokai probably led the pack in forcing the American manufacturers to get their acts together and focus on quality again. Many here remember how poor that QC had gotten by the end of the 70's.

5 people like this.
  2. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Brilliant first post. :thumb:

...oh, I'm sorry for being an asshole but I have a few Tokais so I guess you're right. :rofl:

1 person likes this.
  3. Lukey

Lukey Junior Member

I have an aria pro ii from 77 that plays better than all the new gibsons i played at the music store. It's not just me that has that opinion either. I can't say that its better than the older gibsons but the new ones felt awful.

4. drewob

drewob Junior Member

I recently picked up an AXL Badwater 1216 ($250 including a nice hardshell case) in the antique brown finish. It's put together pretty well and is made of solid mahogany -- nice volume and sustain without amplification. When I plugged it in I was not pleased -- very muddy sounding with the stock alnico humbuckers. I ripped those out and put in a set of GFS Dream 90s, had the instrument completely rewired, put in new CTS pots, and replaced the antiqued bronze hardware with chrome/nickel tone pros bridge, kluson black and chrome tuners, black speed dial knobs, a black pick guard, and chrome strap pegs. It now looks and sounds very nice. There is some very slight buzzing in a few places between the 12th and 17th frets, but I am hoping a bit of additional setup work will solve that problem. The result is a pretty solid gigging/beater instrument for under $500 that, for now, looks and sounds great.

Attached Files:

5. villager

villager Senior Member

This one

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. frail

frail Senior Member

:fingersx:

which iiiisss?? !

7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

And weeth ziss, we can now identif the little beastie pooping eetz head out of the hole. Eet is a Lesser Internet Troll.

8. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Senior Member

Hands down, Larry Corsa's builds. Better than Gibson.

9. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

Burny

10. Scotty67

Scotty67 Senior Member

Serious?

I've heard they were great quality for the features/finish you get for the buck...but this seems to be a MIJ dominated forum...not sure if you are joking...that, and because you said Burny in the post just before mine

These look sweet...not cheap though
    http://www.prestigeguitars.com/currentmodels.php

1 person likes this.
  11. e-c

e-c Junior Member

Esp ltd ec-1000 sounds and plays better than any Gibson standard or studio you coulx get a used one for 600-750 (Live Simply. Love Generously. Care Deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the Rest to God.)

12. CHUNKYNECK

CHUNKYNECK Senior Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

Personally, I don't have much experience, but I cannot say enough nice things about my Edwards.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  14. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I like my Brian Moore and it has a lot more going for it than my Gibson. Coil split and RC Piezo acoustic pick up. L P shape but thinner with a curved back. Locking tuners ebony fret board and it is a rock and roll axe like no other. My ESP Xtone is close. Then my 1969 Les Paul.

15. Kemper59

Kemper59 Senior Member

The correct answer is, TOKAI. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  16. Kemper59

Kemper59 Senior Member

This might be the most ridiculous post I've ever read on this forum. :applause:

4 people like this.
  17. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

Of course it is, the best one is mine :)

18. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Well if Esteban made one I know it would be the best!

19. Scotty67

Scotty67 Senior Member

I don't know how you can make such a statement that Gibson's quality is unparalleled when you have fine builders that can match, or build better. Are you basing this solely on Gibsons top offerings, that few can afford?

You forgot Epiphone Elite/Elitists.

20. Edubya

Edubya Junior Member

I disagree. Looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable people on the site, what better place to inquire about knock-offs? And given the problems at Gibson under the current CEO, used Gibson prices are going through the roof. So it's either fork out the money for a used Gibson or buy a knock-off.