What kind of strings on your Epi Les Paul

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by captainraven40, Jun 20, 2017.

1. QuicksilverSS

QuicksilverSS Senior Member

OLD AND STINKY ONES.. Time for a change I guess.

2. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Make yourself a coffee, this is going to be a longer story :laugh2:

I really like to play fast gallops on the E string, in the style of Iced Earth. But my technique requires a certain tension in the strings, not too soft but not too stiff either.

I used to play 12-52 in Eb, which gave me that tension, but when we got a new lead guitarist, the band decided to go to E standard. 12-52 in E didn't work, way too stiff, not just the bass strings, but the treble strings as well. Felt like playing an acoustic guitar.

I tried 11-49, those were ok, but I always felt that the bass strings could be a bit tighter. At the same time, I tried to include more bending into my playing, and I felt that the treble strings could be a bit lighter.

Cue the hybrid set, 10-52.
    Thin treble strings for easy bending and fat bass strings for power chords and chugging.
    But, as with the 12-52 set, the bass strings gave me a little too much resistance when doing those fast gallops. Hard to explain in text, the tip of the pick needs to slip over the string and if it has too much or too little resistance, it doesn't work for me.

Then I tried the 10-52 set on my MM Flying V, which has a wrap-around tailpiece and that little light bulb appeared near my head :doh:

Thats when I tried wrapping the three bass strings on a Les Paul with TOM+tailpiece, and voila, perfect ! Just a hair lower in tension, but that did it for me :thumb: I guess I could top-wrap the treble strings too, but I don't mind them in normal stringing.

The 10-52 gives me the versatility I need, from metal to blues rock, thats why its on almost all my guitars now. Only the Tele, the Baritone and the 7-string have a different set.

Sorry for the long text, hope that explains it a little :cheers2:

TL,DR: 10-52 is really versatile, top-wrapping reduces the tension of the bass strings a little

PierM likes this.
  3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Yeah, they are the new ones. I also use the nanowebs, and I still do, but I do now prefer the Optiweb because they feels less stiff and they sounds more bright (which I do like), and I love the silky feel these have (but with a great grip on the frets), even after weeks and weeks of playing. The tone it's really crystal clear but with a mellow attack, and probably this is the "changer" for me, since I'm always searching multiple ways to reduce the picking click from my tone, as much as I can...and these are working great. It's not a night and day with the nanos, so if you love those, you should also try the new version.

Always hard to describe a feeling (especially for a non native english LOL), but yeah, give it a try. :)

4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Member

Ernie Ball 9 - 46's. I'm thinking of upgrading to 10's for when I get my Gibson sometime down the road.