what kind of pick-up would you use?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by bomberdrummer, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Senior Member

I'm with you. SD Alnico II Pros are the sh*t as far as I'm concerned.

2. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Indeed some T tops sound great but not all. But then some PAFs sound dreadful. I suppose because the price of a real PAF is almost prohibitive it makes sense as a pickup maker to recreate those rather than T Tops. The other thing with T Tops is the shorter magnets.

3. ptate

ptate V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Cheers gents,

Didn't think about the mags.

I 'spose it's like anything; good and bad in all.

Funny though, bang it through a couple of stompboxes/effects and it all sounds the same anyway :rofl: :rofl: (only kidding!) :thumb:

4. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

This raises a question:
    I have a Gibson SG Special faded. The stock pup is a 490T, and I think it
    kinda sucks.
    I want to get a fuller sound, more sustain out of the guitar. What kind
    of pup do you reccomend?

5. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

That pickup probably reads around 13 K if I remember rightly. Plenty of grunt but no feeling. You may be better off with something more in line with a PAF.
    No hard sell here, but I ditched all my genuine Gibson pickups in favour of my own brand many years ago.

6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Guest

I think your 74 Standard (I had one in 74, a tobacco burst) had patent sticker T-Tops. I think they went to patent stamped T-Tops soon after, which are virtually the same.

7. Mystic

Mystic Member

That's what got me winding them too. That and I didn't want to spend the money on trying out a lot of pickups. Now if I want to tweak the tone I just wind a new one. :slash:

8. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Yes Yes Yes, Ahhhhh the great thing about our free enterprise system
    We damn sure didnt have these kinda choices in the early 70's !
    Hey how bout a real shootout test trial or clips of you smaller guys? a Poll?
    Hey unlike the magazine article types that get some pressure via ad money ect , Whos game ??

9. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

no interest in a popularity contest because to tell you the truth there is a lot of fine pickups being made each with a little spice of the master builder . Much rather the soundclips bring light to each visions & give them life & not just be a picture on a page :thumb:

10. WCR

WCR V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Good reason to pass on the old ones. Some sounded good,, most don't. And the good ones are either being used, or are in somebody's collection. The rest go on e-bay for stupid money. The problem is people can't seem to make new ones "sound" old. Well, except for this certain guy I know pretty well......
    :rofl:

11. lp59aholicDon

Well, I am glad we have the services of several pickup makers right here
    recently I put two replacement pickups in my Orville Les, I was a tad tight for cash, wanted WCR's but couldnt decide on which set or combination My local dealer made me a good deal on a Classic 57, and I found a used Burstbucker3 down the street i got for 40 bucks I like the present tones though the BB3 dosent seem to kick as much as the 57, I have had several SD pickups and have met and talked to Seymour twice at guitar shows while he wound others pickups , he is both a gentleman and a wizard
    When i come down to gettting more humbuckers, even listening to all the hot clips ect, I may have to toss the names of all you guys in a hat and draw from it a few times, LOL , I am glad you are all here and I wish you all the success in your endevours,

12. WBPickups

WBPickups Guest

Seymour is a true Gentleman! And the original boutique winder. I have much respect for him. He gave me some good advice that I truly appreciated! I have a couple of his old hand wounds that I feel fortunate to own.

13. lp59aholicDon

Hey, what other multi millionaire biz guys gonna go to guitar shows month after month of the year and wind peoples pickups if he wasnt serious and didnt love what he did, I feel fortunate to own one of the amps his company produced back in the early 90s any person who never forgot their humble beginnings is good folks in my book , at one time, we were all newbies to all of this

14. WBPickups

WBPickups Guest

Amen to that brother!