What is your Home Recording Set-up?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by SlapChop, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Gyroman

Gyroman Senior Member

I've just got a Boss BR600, it has a drum machine, a few amp models etc; and on first impressions it seems pretty good. I've only just got it though, so haven't got to grips with it completely as yet. I've tried various computer based programs but find them far too involved, so a machine that is reasonably straight forward to use seems the way forward for me. They're just over the £200 mark new, and you can find them on ebay at decent prices.

I have next week off work, so hopefully I'll find a bit of time to cobble a few tunes together then. I'll post the results up if I manage anything halfway decent.

2. FEARLESS9273

FEARLESS9273 Senior Member

So with the BR600 I can connect it to my computer (with some recording software) and to my guitar via separate outputs, fiddle around with the recording software for a while and then... voila?

Or is there more to it than record and overdub (on the BR600) and then edit (on the recording software) and publish?

3. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

Line6 Pod XTLive - Windows 7 - Cubase 5
    and a shedload of plugins including:
    Amplitube/Fender/Jimi Hendrix
    Guitar Rig 3
    Guitar Rig 4
    Pod Farm
    Trilogy Bass (although for most of my bass lines I use my Strat with a bass patch I made for the XTLive)
    Addictive Drums
    Pianissimo
    and a ton of free VST's - many of which can be pretty usable in the right song. No vocal recording at the moment as I don't have an interface and left all of my mics and gear back in England when I moved here and never replaced them.

Results can be heard via the link in my sig...

4. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

4 year old Gateway PC 2 GB ram running Vista
    Podxt
    Audacity

and my SG.

5. Gyroman

Gyroman Senior Member

On the BR600 you can do everything on the unit itself then connect via usb to your computer and export your finished song in either WAV or AIFF, then burn your songs to disc. Or if you'd prefer to do some tweaking with computer software you can do that as well. It connects via usb. According to the manual it works with windows2000/me or XP. I don't know if there's any issues with Vista.

6. FEARLESS9273

FEARLESS9273 Senior Member

Looks good. How hard/complicated is it to use?

7. Gyroman

Gyroman Senior Member

As I say, I haven't really had time to get to grips with it properly but it seems fairly easy if you rtfm (read the f***ing manual to the uninitiated!). The manual has a quick start guide to get you going with the basics, then goes into more depth further on. My first impressions are that you can get some reasonable results without too much trouble.

The only minor drawback I can see at the moment is that the memory relies on the old style CompactFlash cards (32MB - 1GB), but as these are still available from places like Maplins it just means you may end up having to back up your data to computer a little more often than you would with something with a built in hard drive.

I'm sure there are other more experienced users on the forum, so if any of them would care to chime in with their experiences...?

8. k.guitars

k.guitars Senior Member

I very recently underwent a major downgrade, but really feel like I am missing nothing. I have no need for more than 2-channels at home, just songwriting demos, overdubs, editing and mixing. A good friend found a great room so he bought much of my gear for his new studio. My setup is now:

- MacBook Pro 2.4 Duo w/2 GB RAM
    - Logic Pro 8
    - Apogee Duet w/Balanced Breakout - Sounds fantastic, basically like a two-channel Ensemble at 1/4 the price. I wish it was a half-rack for convenience but the Balanced Breakout pretty much takes care of my complaints. I have them both mounted on a rack shelf, along with the Chandler PSU and a Lacie D2 1TB hard-drive.
    - Chandler TG2 & Abbey Road Plug-In Bundle
    - Yorkville YSM2P
    - Royer R-121
    - Shure SM-57 w/TAB-Funkenwerk Transformer - I like it even more than the SM7B that I just sold. Way extended high and low end, and a much smoother overall response. Probably end up getting another one.

9. S_I_N_13

S_I_N_13 Senior Member

lol, line 6 gear box and sony acid 7 for all my BSing. But I have a fully functioning studio in my backyard if I do serious stuff. For guitar usually go with a SM57 and 421 on twin cabs, one run by a Mesa Dual Rec with an Art powerplant as its pre, and the other with a Jet city 30w head. Cabs are 4x12 Cruise loaded with Eminence Legend Series Speakers. Cruise went out of business almost as soon as it went into it.

10. Rex Rekker

Rex Rekker Junior Member

Hi. I am in need of a functioning Tascam 488 to do some transfers to digital. Im in vancouver. A rental or engineering fee for the service? Thanks, Rex.
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Logic
    Ableton Live 8
    Presonus Studio One
    400 Plugins
    36 Gigs of Loops
    Focusrite Voicemaster Pro
    Advanced Audio Large diaphragm (peluso) tube mic
    Godin Freeway SA
    Vg-99
    Vox VTX-120 212+ AD212 ext cab
    bunch of other stuff in the garage with my Keyboard, Bass, PA and light setup