What is your Home Recording Set-up?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by SlapChop, Mar 8, 2010.

1. TrueBlueFlipLover

TrueBlueFlipLover Senior Member

jon1:

How many watts is the amp you are using to go to the line in of your mac? Is the resulting tone/volume any better that straight from your guitar?

TrueBlueFlipLover

2. thedonal

thedonal Senior Member

It doesn't matter on the wattage of the amp when using line out- that's just a line level signal. The wattage of the amp only really matters when you're using it's speaker and a microphone.

A line out is never going to be as nice sounding as a mic'ed up amp (as long as the mic and positioning are OK)- but some amp manufacturers do go to the effort of having a line out that is eq'ed to emulate the frequency rolloff of a speaker (some Marshalls do this and some Mesa amps that I know of).

3. dane999

dane999 Senior Member

I use 'Sonoma Riffworks' on PC or MAC. It is just sooo easy to use and record demos of songs. There is a free version (Riffworks T4) or the full version. It does have a few minor bugs so save your work often before it (rarely) crashes.

Plug your guitar in using a Line 6 interface, set your virtual amp, and go... You can rock out all nite (albeit with headphones) and record your stuff and not wake the neighbors. Really easy to use, can't state that enough. Includes a rather useful, if repetitive, drum machine too. It is like a multitrack machine where you record numerous riffs, takes etc and then compile a song with a sort of 'cut n paste' method. Cost me $0 for riffworks 4T and $90 for the Line 6 USB interface.

4. TrueBlueFlipLover

TrueBlueFlipLover Senior Member

thedonal:

Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately for me, the line out of my VOX AD50VT is terrible to begin with - so although it worked, it was still poor! I ordered an inexpensive Amplitube Fender Studio w/stealthplug so hopefully it will help out when it arrives.

TrueBlueFlipLover

5. mattymel

mattymel Senior Member

-Mac Imac
    -Logic Pro 8 (im a mac guy, no brainer)
    -Apogee Ensemble (great sounding pres, conversion, 8 inputs, works best with macs)
    -Chandler Limited Germanium Pre (this is the ultimate electric guitar pre w/ R121)
    -AEA TRP (dual pre) (great for acoustic instruments using stereo mics, big gain)
    -Empirical Labs Distressor (Comp) (versatile comp that pretty much does it all)
    -dbx 160x (comp) (good for that 80s squashed sound on the cheap)
    -FMR RNC (comp) (good fallback, hard to beat for the money)
    -AKG C414 xls (LDC) (industry standard mic that is hard to beat fro under $1000)
    -Royer R121 (ribbon) (elec guitarists should not be without one, makes 57s laughable)
    -Chameleon Labs TS-1 (pair of SDC) (great on piano, acoustics, overheads)
    -Rode NTK (LDC) (sounds good on classy guitar)
    -various poopy mics like SM57s, AKG C1000 (what i started off with)
    -Mackie Monitors (need to be upgraded)
    -about $1000 in cables/stands (Mogami!)

as you can see...im deep in. anybody that is looking to get started, best thing you could do is ditch the mbox and go for the Apogee Duet. basically a 2 channel version of the Ensemble. great sounding pre, great digital conversion. you could easily make a pro sounding record with a Mac, a Duet, a decent mic, and Logic Pro. all for about $2000. if you had the mac already that is...

6. thijshegemann

thijshegemann Senior Member

My little setup: :naughty:

Genelec 1031 AM Nearfield Monitore

2x Yamaha 02R inkl. Meterbridge & 1x TC Unity

Lexicon MPX1 Multiple Processor FX,
    DBX 1066 Compressor/Limiter/Gate, Amek 9098 EQ,
    SPL 9629 DeEsser, Tascam DA 38 Digital 8 Track
    Recorder, Tascam MMC-38 Interface Unit, Tascam
    RC-808 Remote Control, Tascam DA 20 DAT
    Recorder, Akai Dr4 VR Harddisk Recorder, Sony
    DATRecorder, Sony CD Player, Sony MiniDisc
    Recorder, Philips CD 207 CD Player, Philips FC 141
    Cassetten Deck

Neumann M 147 Tube Mic, Sure SM58 Beta

Apple Macintosh G4, Apple IMac DVD
    Special Edition, Apple Macintosh 7500 PowerPC,
    Apple Macintosh Performa 580 CD, Emagic AMT 8
    Midi Interface

Akai S-1000 Stereo Sampler, Akai Z8
    Stereo Sampler, Roland JV 1080 incl. HipHop,
    Techno und House Expension, Roland JV-880
    Sound Module inkl. Pop Expension, E-mu 9090
    Orbit Sound Module, E-mu Planet Phatt Sound
    Module, Technox Sound Module, Quasimidi Raven
    (incl. MAX Expension), Roland M-DC1 Dance Sound
    Module, Roland M-VS1 Vintage Sound Module,
    Clavia Nordlead Synthesizer, Roland JP-8000
    Synthesizer, Kawai MAV-8 Midi Patchbay

7. jonmirra

jonmirra Member

Just today I put Audacity on the comp and started dicking around. (Linux)

I've been looking to get into recording stuff so that I could lay tracks on top of each other, natch.

Seems like one needs a rather high powered computer plus interface stuff, a standalone like a Tascam dp-02 or GTFO.

As someone new to recording, and I mean new like earlier today, is there just no middle ground here?

200 bucks worth of software plus 100 bucks worth of stuff plus a state of the art computer

or

500 bucks plus condensor mic to do the dp-02 thing

or

shoebox tape recorder producing quality so low that U.S. Grant could not've used it to address his troops during the seige of vicksburg.

Am I missing the middle ground here, should I just drop the 500 bucks on a Tascam?

I've been looking into recording stuff for about 2 months now and had my very first small victory today. Feeling clueless.

8. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

It's very possible to achieve nice results with Audacity.
    Read the readme - instructions and you'll be laying two tracks at a time like a pro.
    It really depends on what you are most comfortable with.
    I still love a good reel to reel so I bought the fostex.
    It is intuitive to a tape head like me.

9. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

I have a BR-532 recorder that I stopped using when I switched to using my Macbook Pro. Now, I'm running into an M-Audio Fast Track Pro that can record 4 inputs into 4 separate tracks at once into GarageBand. At practice, when we're wanting to record while we're playing, we just mic everything and run the mics into it. At home though, I usually just plug straight into the audio interface. GarageBand doesn't have the best effects, but they work perfectly fine for jotting down things or practicing without an amp.

A definite must have for any home studio (or large studio) is good headphones. I got a set of Sennheiser HD280s a while back, and they work great.

The reason I prefer using a computer to record is that I feel a lot less likely to lose anything. Whenever I would record anything with my BR-532, I would always do something stupid and end up losing an entire track or something. With a computer, you have undo and backups. We recorded with a guy who just started a studio out of his garage, and he used a BR-1600, and I think at one point, he accidentally recorded over a part and couldn't figure out how to get it back. I like being able to see everything that I'm doing on the screen at once, instead of relying on a tiny LCD display.

10. thedonal

thedonal Senior Member

Apogee. Mmmmm!

2k? Hell- that's a Les Paul!!!!

I'd like to get a recon mac at some point- my G4 is starting to struggle even with t'internet.

Though I'm considering building a rackmount Windoze machine and running ProTools LE 8 (as I've heard the midi editing on it is vastly improved). I need a firewire machine at least to run my 002 Rack off. So that's a G5 at least (or an early MacPro?). I'd love to run Logic again- I miss that. I used Logic Midi for years, but haven't got a powerful enough Mac to run decent audio plugins.

Have to say that the audio routing on Cubase SX3 (what I have) is shockingly under specced- you can't even route fx channels (ie a stereo delay) to other fx channels or submix (bounce) within the software. Laughable for something that's been an audio app for years (though newer versions may have conquered this...)

I guess if I get a decent enough rack PC built, I could get a hacked version of OSX to run on it...

11. mattymel

mattymel Senior Member

...or about 4 days in a decent studio...

12. jonmirra

jonmirra Member

This stuff is turning out to be more serious than I thought.

I'm doing this audacity thing with Linux, it's unstable. Good program, but 3rd party Unix = weird shit abounding. (Linux thread, I know. I'm a geek)

Having done this computer editing stuff for the last couple days, I don't think a simple DP or the like would cut it. I like the left to right visual representation and the effects and shit.

Not to mention the convenience of the mouse for click and drag sweep editing of sections, etc.

Computer editing seems the way to go, but damn, talk about money. Dual core, 1 gig min RAM, good soundcard, sheeeit.

13. k.guitars

k.guitars Senior Member

Thought I'd revive this thread. I love this stuff =)

- Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66 w/8GB RAM
    - Logic Pro 8: It ain't broke so I can't see a reason to upgrade, especially consider all the issues with Logic 9 that I read about.
    - Apogee Ensemble
    - Chandler TG2: The best pre I have used. Neve, API, whatever... I'll take this!
    - Dangerous D-Box: Only had it a couple of weeks and I'm sold!
    - Yorkville YSM-2P: Best monitors under $1K.
    - Royer R-121: As above, a must-have for guitarists. The Fathead is OK on a budget, in fact so cheap there is really no excuse not to have one, way better than a 57. The Royer just has that something extra that more than justifies the price to me. The Royer also really likes my voice.
    - Shure SM7B: Also a good vocal mic for me.
    - Sennheiser e906: My other favourite guitar mic, either in a blend or for a second part.
    - Chandler Abbey Road Plug-In Bundle: Best software comps and EQs around.

I really can't justify any more than this since I don't have a great room. Luckily, there are several decent studios within 15 minutes of my place that I can rent very reasonably for bed tracks and such, then overdub, edit and mix at home.

14. redlir

redlir Senior Member

Other than the guitar and amps, this is the gear I have for 'recording'. I've sold off a lot of outboard gear and moved mostly in the box with selective plugins that are high quality and work at 64bit internal. I still keep high end mic preamps ( API 500 series format) and converters around though to get it in the box. A good mic pre can make a budget mic like an SM57 come to life.

Lynx Aurora 8 AD/DA converters
    Lynx AES16 PCI interface

for DAW software I'm now using Reaper. It's cheap and is more stable than most of the daw's I've used out there. Plugins they make under the Stillwell banner are some of the best out there at this point.

Mic Pre's
    - Buzz Audio Elixir - clean clean clean
    - LaChapelle 583s tube pre - Warn and clean
    - Chandler Germanium - Warm, thick, dirty bugger lots of mojo
    - Avedis MA5 ( Neve 1073ish) - silky with a smooth texture

Mics
    - SM7B
    - SM57
    - Beta 57A
    - Royer 121 ribbon
    - Sennheiser 409
    - Josephson 617SET
    - Sennheiser MD421
    - Lawson L47MP tube mic

I used to have outboard compressors and EQ's but most of them were really clean ( buzz audio essence, Empirical Labs lilfrq) and for clean surgical stuff, a lot of the in the box eq's and comps are just fine.

15. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

16. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Line 6 toneport UX1 (interface)
    Tascam DP-01 (mixing)
    Dell laptop computer (line 6 pod farm)
    Sonar 7 (DAW)

Hey, it works .... :)

17. Louie

Louie Senior Member

Guitars -> Blackstar HT40 amp -> emulated output (till I get a good mic) -> Line6 XT Pro (rack FX + USB interface) -> PC (Audacity software).

For bass tracks I use:

Bass -> Line6 XTPro (as bass amp modeler + bass FX + USB interface) -> PC (Audacity).

18. Stig

Stig Member

I use my computer with Acoustica Mixcraft and Beatcraft and a Line 6 UX-1 interface. And I have one Shure SM-57 mic that I use for vocals and acoustic. Works great for me!

19. FEARLESS9273

FEARLESS9273 Senior Member

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I need some advice.

Recently I've been planning on buying a lot of stuff - I have decided on the amp and guitar I'm after but not on what recording equipment I want.

I don't mind having multi-purpose units which have built-in effects, drum machine etc. or having completely separate pieces of equipment each with its own use, but I need:

• Drum machine
    • Multi-track recorders that I can overdub and record, delete, replace etc.

that can all be wired together and fed into my computer to upload to SoundClick or saved.

What do you recommend? Bear in mind I need decent enough stuff but nothing too fancy because I don't need/deserve it as I'm not a pro, it's partly just for fun, and really I only want to make a few solo tracks (hence the need for the drum machine - I can play rhythm, lead and bass myself).

It has to be simple to operate and assemble!

20. Stig

Stig Member

See the post above you - and go to www.acoustica.com. You can download their stuff free for a trial period, and it's cheap to buy. Stuff I've recorded with it can be found at the links in my sig.