What is VOS and exactly what is done

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by wmachine, Oct 5, 2017.

1. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

First of all, I'm not going to muddy up the thread going on under Les Pauls.
    Second, I realize that the process may have changed since they started it.
    Third, I can guess all day long too, so I'd like to stick to what what is known.

I'm trying to find out what exactly is involved and can't find anything all encompassing.
    I have been looking closely at the ES reissues that are VOS over the last few years of production.
    Did not have a lot of trouble finding that VOS = Vintage Original Specification.
    So (at least) there is specifically a VOS finish. Which is perplexing, but the originals were *not* finished like this. Does VOS apply to anything except the finish?

Re the VOS finish, contrary to posts I've seen, it is *not* a thinner finish. It has exactly the same (wood) finish specs (on the Gibson site) with the VOS models additionally saying "Finished in V.O.S." Which means what? It looks like it is more than just the same finish not buffed out. It is pretty well known that the VOS finish can be buffed to a gloss of desired.

Also contrary to posts I've seen, the hardware is also VOS, with specs for plating reading "V.O.S nickel, V.O.S. gold" etc. My personal observation is that the hardware looks like it has an irregular haze to it making it look aged. But not to the point having pits like actually aged metal could get.
    And even some of the plastics have a VOS spec and look like they are hazed like the metal parts.
    It appears that the "haze" is an applied film that could be removed and one would have perfectly plated parts underneath. Meaning that none of the VOS processing is "into" any of the parts.
    That said, I wonder if what it is that they apply for the VOS finish would actually help protect it.

So it also appears to me, if you simply don't like the VOS finish, it can be entirely removed with a little elbow grease.
    Which leaves the question, is the anything else to VOS except finish?

endial likes this.
  2. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Finish is hazy and hardware is tarnished on my newer VOS stuff. Finish on my ES models seems very thin but seems thicker on my solid bodies. The finish can be buffed easily but not the hardware. I like the look and usually give mine a light coat of polish as the necks can feel a little sticky otherwise.

3. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member