What is this gunk that's coming off my fretboards?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by marshall2553, Mar 3, 2018.

1. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

Looks more like the black gunk I get when I polish the fret wire.

bulletproof likes this.
  2. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Premium Member

I get the same stuff from fret wire. Not the board though unless it was really gunked. But I do a fret and board clean once a year so never really gets like that.

John Dewey and bulletproof like this.
  3. marshall2553

marshall2553 Member

This definitely has a reddish brown tint to it that may not show in the pic, but I do get the black gunk when I polish frets too.

4. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

They don’t dye any of them.

5. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Red rouge buffing compound has been on several new ones I've bought. Usually almost completely gone after a few hours of play.

I've noticed more on my USA Gibsons than on my CS guitars. My '15 Rs had none. My '14 R9 had a trace. My '13 USA STD had a bunch.

Once it goes away on mine it doesn't come back. It's only residual compound from buffing the board.

6. Low Gain

Low Gain Senior Member

You are misinformed.

7. freebyrd 69

OK

bulletproof likes this.
  8. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Pappy58 likes this.
  9. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Hey, Low Gain, show some respect! That's Mister Informed to you!

;)

Frank

JimmyAce2006 and bulletproof like this.
  10. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Who is misinformed? A luthier friend of mine who used to work for Gibson told me today that they will dye the boards sometimes. He has even demonstrated for me, on one of his own builds, how he can darken the board. He can easily make a brown board black in a very short amount of time.

But they probably do not dye them often. Usually, dying is done to tame an unnatural looking streak, not as a general practice to darken boards.

It is possible that what is seen on the cloth is natural from a rosewood board.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    RAG7890 likes this.
  11. John Dewey

John Dewey Senior Member

The first time I do a string change on any RW board I condition it. I use Doctor Duck. Not because I think it's the best. Because it's what I have and a bottle will last for years. Imo, it works well. I've done this to at least 30 LP's over the years and never ended up with gunk on the rag. I don't have a clue what the OP has going on.

12. freebyrd 69

Well in all fairness I guess one should never say never. I did take a couple of tours and talked pretty extensively about fret boards and necks. I had them do a “Pearly Gates” neck on my 2011. They showed me the boards, the benches, materials used, etc.. I was able to see a few being done. I never asked specifically about them dying boards, but it most certainly was not being done in any stage of any I saw being built, or the bare boards in 2011 or the next time in 2013.

Of the many, many reissues I have owned, I have never experienced any dye on the board. I can absolutely see where, as at least one other member posted about the buffing compound being a strong possibility.

So anyway, my apologies for coming off too strong and throwing the “never” thing around. I should have left it to a simple “not to my knowledge or experience”.

jlb32, BBD, bulletproof and 3 others like this.
  13. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

If they do dye anything I'm guessing it is pretty rare IMO. I know a few guys that have worked at Gibson also and they told me they have never seen any dyed fretboards.:dunno:

I've specifically asked them that question because I was wondering also, it's been a while though, and they stated that Gibson did not dye because they prefer the natural streaking and color of the wood, regardless of if it is lighter or darker.

bulletproof likes this.
  14. Chicago John

Chicago John Senior Member

This...

bulletproof likes this.
  15. RangerJay

RangerJay Glam Bastard Premium Member

I have cleaned and oiled many Gibson boards, and I never got any hint of dye. None.

I picked up an ESP Eclipse for my nephew recently, and while I did not clean the fretboard, I did slap some new strings on it, and I played it for an hour, and my fingertips were black. This never happens on any of my guitars, for any brand. I've heard of it, but this was my first experience.

Oh well, I just gave the guitar to my nephew, so it's his problem now.

That said, I'm on a tear to pick up a good ESP Eclipse with active pickups. I don't usually go for that sort of thing, but I found them interesting. Being a cheap old bastard, it may take a while...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018