What is the best replica?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by iidoido, Mar 1, 2010.

1. iidoido

iidoido Member

Burny, Greco, Edwards, Tokai, Orville.............??
    There are so many replicas. I'm start thinking that everything is just bullshit since there are so many MIJ replicas.
    I'm just looking for a great(!) les paul and I know that Gibson is 60% price for the name in the headstock.
    Really don't know what to do.

2. mono

mono Senior Member

Do some research.
    It's like asking what the best car is - there is no "best" car for everybody. Have a look at the different brands, models and prices they go for on eBay, Rinkya and Digimart.
    Then consider your budget and look for things you are willing to put money down on.
    Do you want an LP Custom or a Burst?

Only you can answer these questions. A good starting website is Japan Guitars. A lot of information and a lot of pictures. We are happy to answer specific questions, but not "which guitar should I get" or "will this rare no-name MIJ Les Paul look-a-like give me Slashtone?"
    We will also give you advice to stop you buying a fake. No sweat.

I hope we can still be friends :thumb:

3. iidoido

iidoido Member

Thanks.
    It's question of more like - which guitar is the closest to the Gibson Les Paul sound.
    As I said, I'm looking for the guitar which will give me the closest sound of a good Gibson Les Paul sound.
    So that's why I ask if it's Burny, Greco, Tokai, Edwards... etc...

4. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

"How long is a piece of string?"

Here's an (arbitrary) answer: Buy a Tokai LS92, or if you've got money, buy a Tokai LS160.

There are plenty of guitars by Greco, OBG, Burny, Edwards, Bacchus, etc., that are just as good. But you can't go wrong with the above.

These manufacturers all make generally great guitars. They also offer different specs at different prices. For me, it was clear that all MIJ Tokais were fantastic - both in specs and quality. But I've seen some droolworthy guitars from all the others too.

5. River

River Senior Member

Which Gibson Les Paul sound? This is akin to asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, or how many dragons can swim in a teaspoon.

6. joebonsai

joebonsai Senior Member

7. Iancognito

Iancognito Senior Member

A precise figure - I think you might have got it a bit high though! :)

Sorry, don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you but you sound like you've made your mind up already that Gibsons are rubbish and MIJ copies are also rubbish. They can't all be that bad. There's a lot of people that own a Gibson and they look down on the other guitars. Then you get the reverse and people insist the copies are much better. Guitars aren't all just specs and numbers, you have to play them and decide what you like. You'll never say "I want to spend 1000, what should I get" and everyone all gives you the same answer. :)

8. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

I've done some research myself and bought/sold/borrowed guitars over the past couple of years and found I like the feel of the Orville LPC-75 the best, that being said: I love the sound of my Fakai Gold Top best. I have not played the MIJ Love Rock yet. Take your time and play LOTS of guitars. Every one has it's own unique sound and feel. Good luck! :)

9. tonebone

tonebone Senior Member

Looks like now is a good time to pick one (or three) up. :)

ebay item, 300399155553

ebay sellers ians007 (has a bunch of grecos) and chingo123 (has some nice tokais and burnys right now)

Anything from 1980 to 1982 is very desirable and easy to resell. You go for a solid top and one piece back and you will be paying well over $1000, however.

Or you could pick up a used Edwards (ebay 110500677461, this ones got a "serial number" about 300 after mine, and I'm thinking they came with schaller's in late 2003, early 2004 cause mine has em too. interesting.), they do all the Les Paul stuff also, believe it or not. Unless you wanna be a label freak.

They all work. And everyone will tell you, each guitar is unique, no matter what brand it carries.

Just find one that makes you rub your hands together and smile when you look at the pics - and buy that bad boy!

10. derektheguitarguy

derektheguitarguy Member

I would say that the best replica is one that you have paid good money to a professional luthier to build for you to your exact specifications. :thumb:

11. Kemper59

Kemper59 Senior Member

Greco, Burny, and Orville don't make guitars today...correct?

Why is it the intermediate/beginner guitarists are more anal about the specs, the model, the year, the wood, the pickups, comparing this to that, etc,etc, whereas experienced pro guitarists just buy a guitar and play it?

Why is it everyone thinks a replica from the 80s is better than a 2009/2010 model of the same guitar, when in most cases it isn't?

12. mono

mono Senior Member

"vintage mojo"

13. Highnumbers

Highnumbers Member

+1 on the Edwards JP Jimmy Page Replicas with or without the super circuit

Hands-down one of the best "burst" replicas out there for under/around a grand.

Beat the pants off similar Gibsons that cost 3-4x the price. Even the relic job is quite convincing.

14. standard man

standard man Senior Member

If you're on a tight budget, go with an Agile. They are awesome. Although not MIJ, they are still a great guitar. Mine is better than me Epi by far. They are really nice guitars for a really nice price. Mine was $279. It is the Dauntless. Although probably more metal than what you're looking for, they are very nice. You could also move up to the Al3x00 models. There's the Al3k and the Al3100. They are the same guitar only the 3100 has MOP inlays whereas the Al3000 has Abalone. All personal preference though.

You can browse all of their guitars here-Rondo Music Home Page

Hope this helps!

15. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

The makers mentioned don't make 'replicas'....they make 'copies'. A 'replica' would have the 'Gibson' logo on the headstock.