What I learned shopping for an LP

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Sprocket, Aug 10, 2007.

1. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 Senior Member

I would have asked for a manager in your case. I went to Sam Ash to buy the lowly Squier '51 and pulled 4 out of their boxes to find one I liked. They were happy to help me and that was for a $99 guitar. I have never had a problem with my local GC nor the ones I've dealt with online. Your sales guy must have been having a bad day.
    Btw, I have found some stellar deals through GC's online used section. I have gotten 2 pedals and 3 amps, all at good deals with free shipping. Today, UPS will be delivering my Fender Blues Jr. that I purchased from GC in Indy for $199 shipped to my door. A steal imho. I also bought a Fender Stage 185 amp from GC in Minneapolis for $150 shipped and that sucker weighs 50 lbs. So if you are looking for gear, you might want to check out GC's used section. And I don't work for GC btw. I just figured you guys might be interested in some good deals. Link: Get Great Deals on Used Music Gear at Guitar Center and GuitarCenter.com

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

It's a different sort of culture over here. We don't tend to do much bartering and you usually end up paying what the dealer is selling it for, or very close to it. We certainly don't get 35% off retail like some of you do.

The protecting their investment thing is not letting anybody who comes in start tweaking, or they would call it messing, with the guitars. They don't know that you may know more than them.

Obviously things may be slightly different if you have a long term good relationship with the shop

3. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

I don't often go out buying guitars. Generally I'm able to keep my GAS under control :) However, when I've genuinely been trying a guitar with a view to actually buying one as opposed to tyre-kicking, the shops I've dealt with have been generally quite accomodating.

I got discounts on my Les Paul (£100 off) and my Strat (£50 off) and got new strings and a set up when I bought my Simon & Patrick and a discount on a hardcase. When my brother and I went shopping for his Ibanez, he got a discount on the sticker price and on a hardcase. So there are deals to be had.

As for the BOTB showing vintage guitars with bridge etc. all over the place, IMHO that doesn't mean it's OK.

I don't how the bridge can be OK in any position other than the 'correct' loctation that gives the right string length. Maybe I'm wrong, but the fret positions are all calculated based on string length (aren't they?), so if the bridge is in the wrong place, intonation will surely be all over the shop..

I'm happy to be corrected on this, but I thought that basic guitar building 101 would position the bridge a certain distance from the nut, i.e. 24.75" for a Les Paul?

4. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

Well I do hink we have a great thread going here. John sorry the guys in the UK treat u guys that way maybe its import fees and crap like that. Hell Im not even gonna buy at just 35% off retail if I can get a better deal. Sometimes I think I pay to much but if Im happy I can live with it. Geejay as for scale length u are correct the measrment is taken from the inside of the nut to the saddle. But intonation an be corrected in various ways but if u ever want to measure the 12th fret should be 1/2 the scale length and the 7th fet shoul be 2/3 length now when I say bridges and tail pieces all over the place Im not talking huge vast differences but some are noticeable. Like I say I love all u guys input into things that way if nd when I open my store I'll know what im really up against. Im always into what others think :hippie:

5. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

I don't blame only the dealers, the distributors have something to answer for as well. Most guitars imported from US seem to retail on a one for one basis, i.e if a guitar costs $2000 in US, then it's close to £2000 in the UK. The exchange rate these days is close to $2 per £1, so even allowing for import duties and taxes we are being ripped off.

It's not just musical gear, the same seems to happen with most imports. It's as if the manufactures know we will put up with high prices :mad:

6. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

In the UK, it's not really part of our culture to haggle over price, particuarly on new goods from a store. One of the best examples I can think of that illustrates this is in 'The Life of Brian' where Brian while on the run from the Romans, trys to buy a false beard from a market trader.

The are benefits and drawbacks with this.

The main benefit is that before you even start thinking about buying something, you and the seller pretty much know what the final price is. So you don't get drawn into this 'false' negotiation of a deal, where everyone knows that the 'sticker' price is higher than the out-the-door price. Where everyone knows that the sticker price has been inflated so as to be able to knock off some bucks to make the punter feel good while the dealer maintains his margin (and feels good too).

I guess the main drawback is that the UK feels like rip-off Britain, especially in these days of being able to compare prices in other countries via the web. With a strong pound:dollar exchange rate, the US prices currently look very cheap to us. So guitars in the UK look expensive (Gibson Les Paul Standard is probably equivalent to $3000). This applies to other stuff as well, photography gear for example is about 30% cheaper (was 50% until recently) in the US compared to the UK.

But, the importers aren't stupid, if you try to import stuff yourself, you don't get to save much by the time you've paid import duty and VAT. This may be a bit different if you go on holiday to the US and then walk the stuff through customs without declaring it, and that does happen. But if I ordered a lens for my camera from B&H in NYC via the web, I would get stung for duty and VAT and save very little.

Cheers!

7. KristianJ

KristianJ Member

In terms of haggling, when I bought my Epi, the day before I found that my regular guitar store had a Myspace page where they had a "mention this page and we'll give you 10% off your purchases" offer, which I duly raised in the enquiries. Mine had a stickered price of $749 Australian (it was a mint second hand - new LP Standard Plus was $999) and I got it and my hard case for $790, with the 10% off basically covering the rest of the value of the hard case. It was set up perfectly as displayed, but had it not been to my liking, I know from past dealings with them that they would have happily accommodated.

I'll generally trade off the good know how and after sales service at my local shop for a price that's slightly more expensive than I get elsewhere.

8. ReverendJWblues

I think we all know basically what we will give for any given guitar. We all want it for as little as possible. As for never owning an epi I damn sure didnt know u had to buy the case extra. What do they give ya a gig bag. And as far as cases go anymore they are pretty shitty I think anyways. Better to have a flight case built. As long as everybody is happy wih their guitars it doesnt really matter. I just recently bought a used SG I duno what the hell for but I bought it. I love the action but hate the frickin tone. Was gonna try some WBs but dunno if I wanna waste the cash on it. Gonna try some other things first. Any u guys ever get any tone out of a stock SG std if so how. This mother is way to bright and muddy. I like a lot of bottom end what should I do to darken it up. guess that why I hate strats too. nuthin personal about the strats they play great, in my hands they sound like shit. :lol: maybe thats the problem (my playin might sound like shit). JW :hippie:

9. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

You don't even get a gig-bag with an Epi in the UK, much less a hard case..

10. KristianJ

KristianJ Member

Ditto in Australia...maybe some stores will throw one in but as far as I know, none of the stores I've ever dealt with or received catalogues from offer gig bags free with Epis.

11. ReverendJWblues

I went to test drive a few epis today, played about 15 or so till I found one I liked, it played very good was a blue flame job strings were cruddy like most of u have said (I didnt bother asking them to change them) and after I said they were sweat crudded they didnt offer to change them either. was badly finger printed did need a good cleaning finger board was dry as a bone I asked if they ever cleaned them sales guy didnt answer. just kinda mumbled so I said you kinda mumble like these pups, I asked if it came with a bag or anything, I got the I'll go ask the manager, WTF dont u know anything I asked (once again a mumble) Then I asked to see one of the 59RI they had all the sudden his eyes lit up he didnt seem so stupid. So my conclusion is its all about the money, U guys seem to be right if its not the top of the line some people dont really give a shit. BTW I didnt buy the 59 told him the epi played better, once again the mumble. Was a nice playing epi just needed some pups. Best of luck to u guys on your epi quests. (guess the salesman was a drummer):wtf::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    JW:hippie:

12. dcooper830

dcooper830 Senior Member

I'm pretty lucky...... I bought quite a few guitars off Ebay and Musicians Friend. And after I set 'em up to my liking they were fine.

One of 'em needed the frets leveled before I could get the action low enough to my liking. And I had to take it in and have that done cause that's beyond my level of expertise.

But once that was done it played like BUTTER!!

I've tried guitars in the store before that felt like CRAP, but I bought them anyway cause I knew I could set 'em up to where they played great... And the store gave me a couple days to get my money back if I couldn't.

Needless to say... I never brought the guitars back. I kept 'em!!

13. tiedstick

tiedstick V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but for those of you saying not to buy mailorder, besides for the fact that you don't get to play it before buying it, if the LP's got a burst finish, don't expect it to be too pretty or the maple to be too well figured. Back when I started playing, I didn't know any better and listened to a friend's advice and bought my LP mailorder. I wasn't too happy with the way it looked, and I'm still kinda bummed. :-(

14. loneguitar

loneguitar Senior Member

I've bought 2 guitars from Musician's friend and they were both set up and ready to play out of the Box, they came with hard shell cases and good reps, I don't know about buying an Epi or Squire, I do know they vary greatly and I'd advise try before buy, there are outstanding ones, you just have to try and try, BTW congrats on your purchase, and enjoy

15. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

I buy my Gibson Guitars on the internet
    if they dont work out i just exchange them.
    Kind of have to since we have no music stores
    that have Gibsons.

16. lp junior freak

lp junior freak V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

i have 2 guitars stores near me one only does alevearez and fender . the closest one that has gibsons is 50 miles away. but i go i dont want them to go out of bussines:thumb:

17. apollo_13rocks

apollo_13rocks Junior Member

i just ordered a guitar from musicians friend. its an epi lp standard.
    hope ot arrives ok.

18. Marshal

Marshal Member

Congrats! I'll keep my fingers crossed with ya! :fingersx:

19. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Musicians Freind packs thier stuff really well

20. lp junior freak

lp junior freak V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

musicians friend is pretty good about packin stuff ive ordered from them 2-3 times and my guitars have always made it safely :thumb: