What happened to this poor thing? Early 70's Deluxe

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by slug_maine, Dec 17, 2017.

1. judson

judson Senior Member

hey if it didnt work for you there will be another...that looked like it had some potential but there are others out there and the hunt is half the fun !

slug_maine likes this.
  2. judson

judson Senior Member

not to threadjack but i would be curious to hear this as well

slug_maine likes this.
  3. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

OK, so I didn't get the guitar in the OP but I did pick up a 73 LP Deluxe Goldtop. I'm not sure about proper etiquette for posting it up. Should I continue on this thread or start a new one? Not a prolific poster, more of a lurker.

4. scozz

scozz Senior Member

You can do either, but if it was me I'd start a new thread. Loved to see it!

slug_maine likes this.
  5. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

OK, thanks. I'll try to get a new thread posted up tomorrow. When I do I'll post a link to it here for continuity purposes.

6. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

7. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

Well, they're night and day, which is why I removed the P90s from the GT and went back to the minis. Minis are so underrated, in my opinion. They have tighter response than full sized humbuckers, are less muddy, but have all the bass and tone you want. It's a shame so many guitars were bastardized in the 70s to make room for full sized buckers.

That being said, the LPC's staple P90 is insanely nice sounding. The bridge is also sick, but it's rare to get such a nice sounding neck position. The GT's P90s were decent, but not nearly as good. I wanted a more diverse sound, and so that was my reasoning.

8. moreles

moreles Senior Member

The serial number h=nonsense suggests conscious theft, which regardless of when it happens is totally deep, bad mojo. Glad you walked away. And a twisted neck is total death. I had that happen on one guitar in my long playing life -- a Gurian acoustic, believe it or not -- and there is no fix for it other than making a new neck. It's a good idea to avoid cursed guitars.

sangandongo and slug_maine like this.
  9. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

There are ways, but it's better to just re-neck the guitar, as you say. The instrument will never really be the same after it develops a turn like that.