What happened to this poor thing? Early 70's Deluxe

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by slug_maine, Dec 17, 2017.

1. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

I can't help myself, I'm drawn to ruff looking guitars. Can't quite figure this one out. Was hoping some of you Norlin guys could dissect this thing for me. Other than the bridge pickup swap and the tuners, anything else don't look right? Like the white Gibson headstock logo and the faded Les Paul Model script. I might go look at it tomorrow so any observations would be welcomed.

https://maine.craigslist.org/msg/d/1970s-gibson-les-paul-deluxe/6423162540.html

2. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Premium Member

That actually looks pretty legit so far. The Gibson block logo was only used one year IIRC but it was used.

That would pin the year down for ya.

The goof rings around the tailpiece studs are a Norlin exclusive!

@Kris Ford would know that logo and anything else if he's around!

slug_maine likes this.
  3. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is the control cavity, look original? Thinking maybe the pots have been changed?

4. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

Can the goof rings be removed? I would suppose any goof they're hiding wouldn't look too out of place on this guitar.

5. DarrellV

More than that. The addition of the bridge pickup means it had to be re soldered at least once.

That ground wire looks home made to me, and i don't see any pot codes so they could be from an aftermarket harness or something of the sort.

Not a huge deal breaker since this looks to be a players guitar more than an investment anyway....

judson likes this.
  6. DarrellV

7. bungle

bungle Premium Member

Custom carving and inlay on headstock is interesting.:shock: Guitar is just oozing with mojo.

judson likes this.
  8. Assault Bacon

Assault Bacon Senior Member

Something about the general look of it whispers water damage, though...

Maybe it's just my eyes.

9. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

looks cool to me

judson likes this.
  10. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporter

Looks like a very cool guitar. Drop a P90 in the neck and play it to death.

judson likes this.
  11. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

I like it and it has mojo :thumb:

and with the included strap, 1982-era Boss CE-2 Chorus pedal and Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Wah pedals definatly a fair price.

judson likes this.
  12. DarrellV

I'm wondering why the serial number was carved out.... Just a weird thing to do randomly, and there are no other carving mods on the guitar! Looks like some sanding on the back of head stock too...

Nibs are still on the upper frets too!

13. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

All i can say is that the laquer cracking looks just like it does on mine. Mix cold and hot air , add 46 years of playing without pampering the guitar :jam:and you get that look

We should invent a term for necks with laquer cracks like that - zebra necks perhaps? Or, since zebra is taken already, maybe "tiger neck" sounds more ferocius and rock'n roll?

The horn looks somewhat weird to me - but it's ages since i have looked at a GT in person, and it might just be some optical illusion.

The cavity has the channel in the right place (meaning the same place as my '71) as well.

If it were mine i'd keep it.

Despite all the goodies coming with the guitar, i'd still try to talk the seller down a couple of hundred (even here in expensive Denmark) - mostly because of the weird homebrew inlay, the rest i can live with or change, but that?
    However i would also try to talk the seller down just out of principle...

DarrellV and slug_maine like this.
  14. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

Sometimes when I look at the vertical pic of the headstock I can almost see smething like this. People did weird things to guitars in the late 69's and early 70's.

[​IMG]

15. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

I hear ya, oddly enough, the inlay bothers me less than the tailpiece.

16. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

The neck profile on these is the medium C right?

17. judson

judson Senior Member

im liking everything on it, try to get a pot number off it when you look at it but not essential

i think it is well worth the cash, plus the wah, chorus, case, original pup and a strap to boot...whats not to like really for $1,800 just look it over, plug it in test the controls and ask him his bottom number once and just pay it with cash right there...i would not dick around if you like it and it feels and sounds right to you.

its a player, the routed bridge is the only obvious thing some might not like and the carving screwing the serial number but who cares, but its done so dont worry about it....play it and enjoy it....i dont know enough about norlins but the white logo is interesting as you would think it would be yellowed maybe....you said tuners were replaced? i cant tell looks fine there but i could be wrong.

if he says he has someone else coming to look at it, just give him the 1800 in cash and run....

im likin it alot but i am far as hell from Maine..lol :thumb:

the logo looks raised and one piece of plastic or something??? again someone else here hopefully knows what is going on there...maybe the flash from the camera?...i would only question that, the rest looks legit, the GT true aging is amazing on that one...

and the one from your future posted...and mine

[​IMG]

below is my early 71/72 GT headstock with some of the gold missing on the headstock logo. maybe the guy scraped of the gold off...lettering looks the same...i think you might be good
    (pot codes to Nov 71 with embossed Gibson pups so could be 72 since they were more prevalent for 72) ..

1971goldtop11.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  18. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ The top logo there is not a typical 70's one. I think the person linking them must have confused his pics. Thats more like a 68-69 logo, or a more current historic logo.

The lower is correct for 71.......with that amount of checking it doesn't surprise me that the clear has come off the logo.

19. judson

judson Senior Member

sprauge black beauty caps are legit with yellow cloth wire but try to get a pot code when you look at it

20. judson

judson Senior Member

the first pic came from the ad in CL posted by the owner and i took it from the ad if you click the ad you can see all his pics with the headstock pic...i am guessing for an answer why his looks maybe questionable or not.....but i am no expert

my GT headstock is the lower 2nd pic below the sellers pic