What happened to the ES-139?

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by Crusader, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Crusader

Crusader Member

Does anyone know what happened to the ES-139? It came out in 2013 but it doesn't show up on Gibson Products at all, not even under "Out Of Production"

I have the model before, the ES-137 and I'm wondering how much difference there is etc. etc.

2. bwillard

bwillard Senior Member

The ES-139 was a flop. Kind of a strange guitar. It was lower-end, but they wanted over a grand for it and it came with a gig bag. They ended up blowing them out at around $700-800 and discontinued them. I might be wrong about this, but I never saw one outside of Guitar Center.

The ES-139 really didn't have anything in common with the ES-137.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  3. randomguitarist

randomguitarist Member

4. randomguitarist

randomguitarist Member

If you're willing to buy from Europe Thomann and GAK have stock in ebony. I wouldn't bother though personally. I played one once and didn't see any real value in it.

In comparison I have a 137 (Classic in triburst finish) and love that guitar.

5. randomguitarist

randomguitarist Member

I did not know that, not very enterprising of them. I would imagine one day they will have to sell them at a deep discount.

6. Crusader

Crusader Member

Thanks for that, yes from what I've heard I thought it was a bit odd, no f-holes

What I'm wondering now is if the ES-137 is still in production. Its on the website but you have to search for it...

...I wonder if Gibson get those annoying calls from Website designers (I think they could benefit from their expertise)

7. bwillard

bwillard Senior Member

As far as I know, the ES-137 has been discontinued.

8. jimbob137

jimbob137 Senior Member

More recently they pushed out the billie joe armstrong signature model. It was only available in one gross looking colour with weird controls, not very "punk" at twice the price.

9. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

It looks like Gibson brought it back as an ES-Les Paul model, but better equipped with a much higher price?

10. bwillard

bwillard Senior Member

The Les Paul ES is a COMPLETELY different guitar. The ES-139 doesn't have F holes and is a different shape.

11. Rds

Rds Senior Member

Never played a 139 so can't comment on the sound. Do own a couple of 135's and I love mine. Something similar if you just don't want the f holes would be a 2002 135, I think it was designated a studio model. Basically same body as the 139 no f holes. Mines great. This link has one although they have the wrong year listed.

https://reverb.com/item/1241838-gibson-es135-2005

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  12. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

There is an ES-Les Paul model without F holes. I'm referring to that, of course.