What do you think would be the best value in the Strat/Tele world?

Discussion in 'Fender' started by notoperational, Feb 26, 2008.

1. notoperational

notoperational MLP Sponsor

I have been looking into getting some new gear and a Strat and Tele have came to mind.

Now, I don't have a large amount of money to spend... But, $400-600 isn't out of the question. I know that will get me any Standard (Mexican) Strat and Tele, but I know there is a lot of other stuff available... That I probably don't know baout. So, in the Strat/Tele world where is the best value?

Although a little bit more than I want to spend... I wouldn't mind having one of these.
    [​IMG]

2. b-squared

b-squared Banned

For a Strat I've always liked the Jimmy Vaughan or the Baja model, both MIM I believe. Great players, and really good quality construction.

That tele you've posted is cool as heck. Never played one, but have seen a couple. Of of my buddies on another forum raves about his. The pickups are lower gain than PAFs, but can scream.

BB

3. notoperational

I have seen the Jimmy Vaughan models in Music123 and MF, but I have never actually played one. I know if I get a Strat I want an Olympic White one haha, At least I know what color I want. So, if it plays and sounds good and come in that finish. That might be a winner!

I really like those Tele Deluxes. You should definitely stop in and play one, I know the Guitar Center off of St.Charles Rock Rd has 3-4 on the floor.

4. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I'll do that. I usually take one of my axes when I go--it's almost comical how they freak when they see my R9...(cruel, but it's funny)

The JV is an awesome playing Strat...USA parts, great neck, and the Texas Special pickups. It doesn't get much better.

BB

5. notoperational

haha thats crazy. I don't think I have played a really high-end Les Paul like that, I would probably freak out too.

I really don't like that Guitar Center much though, they are always kinda rude and smart ass-ish to me.

That JV Strat comes in Olympic White... It's got the maple neck too! Aesthetically, I really like it. I wanna try one really bad now.

We'll have to jam sometime since we live within reasonable distances of one another. Representin' that MLP Mid-West Chapter!

6. loaded six string

loaded six string V.I.P. Member

I bought this squire telecaster custom recently. I could not be more happier with it. The Duncan designed p90's really have that bluesy growl. I changed out the green chiclet caps with orange drop .022s. and swapped out the cheap box selector switch with a quality LP type. What a bargain for around $300. Squire has really stepped up there game. They arent the putting out the cheap crap they were years ago.:thumb:
    [​IMG]

7. notoperational

That thing is fuggin' cool! I am really impressed with that to be honest.

I am stuck on the deluxe with the humbuckers though, and that one don't have the big headstock either.

8. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Ya, Squire is putting out some decent guitars these days.

I have a Chinacaster (Squire '52 Tele made in China) that I got for around $150. I had some fret work done, put an RS kit in it with decent pickups, and it's now a rocker. I've got about $300 total in it. I think it's about the best beater guitar for the money these days.

Hey Brett...we can jam about anytime. You want to sample some cool guitars? Come on over. :) PM me when you want to get together.

BB

9. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

10. LongBeach

LongBeach Premium Member

The Deluxe is a great Tele, got a buddy who has one, played it a couple times. HB's were so-so, but it had great feel/balance. You have so many
    options, but MIM Fender is probably a good pick IMO. Go try a dozen or
    so out, I think the difference between the Strat & the Tele is going to depend
    on what type of music you play.

Happy Shopping Bro!

11. notoperational

Thats sounds baller dude, when I have some free time I'll definitely hit you up.

12. notoperational

Thanks for all the input guys! I really have my heart set

13. notoperational

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I am going to try and hunt-down a used Tele Deluxe off of Craigslist (where I find all the deals!) or off of the used section in GuitarCenter.com. I really have my hopes set on that, it would be a great guitar to have.

I am also gonna keep my eyes and ears open to anything that looks relatively interesting in the Fender world. There is a lot of different Strats and Teles on there. A bunch I probably don't know about yet... And I want to try them all!

14. overdriver

overdriver Banned

The new American Stansard are pretty nice good price as well with case

15. notoperational

Way out of my price range.

But, I agree.

16. donkeypunchr

donkeypunchr Junior Member

check out the highway one series. made in the usa but cheaper than american standards. (the satin nitrocellulose finish is glorious!) I think they're like $750 though

check them out

17. notoperational

Yeah those are cool for sure. I'm pretty sure both the guitarist from Circa Survive (one of my favorite bands) use Highway One Teles. Their tones kick ass too, so that could be an option I suppose.

18. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

The MIM reissues and the Highway 1's are a nice value. I've been thinking about picking up a newer big head Hwy 1 Strat with a maple board.

19. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

JV, MIJ, CIJ is my order of preference. Squier or Fender, makes no odds really. Some of the Squier silver series are great for the money.

20. Csharp

Csharp Senior Member

Brett, be careful on the local craigslist. There have been more counterfeits showing up lately. The 'Gibson's are getting caught more often now, so it wouldn't surprise me if the scumbags started scamming fake Fenders soon.