What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by PJM, Oct 21, 2012.

1. PJM

PJM Senior Member

This one has been on craigslist for a while, kind of sketchy details says its a 63' special. He just moved the price from $2100 to $900. It's been up for quite a while (couple months at least). Was wondering if this would be a good time to make an offer. I can't estimate the value of a guitar that's been this modded. Any insight would be appreciated.
    These are all the pics i have-

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

That's not a '63 special.

3. Will55555

Will55555 Member

Looks a bit dodgy to me anyway. I would ask for more info and more pics if I was you. Some of the guys here would surely be able to help. I'm no expert so good luck man!

4. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

I disagree.

Dot inlays, button tuners, wraparound bridge, no headstock decoration thing (forget what it's called).

It's been routed for a hummers, a 3rd pup route/added, has a cut up Standard pickguard, and the early '70's style half moon plate added around the knobs.

What's the serial #?

1 person likes this.
  5. PJM

PJM Senior Member

No serial number included in the listing, waiting for an email back. I'm starting to think it is really not a early 60's either because of the black plate under the knobs, looks more 70's to me. Waiting for the owner to sender more pics as well.

6. Core

Core Senior Member

That looks like a 63 to me, looks a lot like my 63 junior that's been modified for humbuckers.

Tell-tale signs are deep bevels in the horns, the neck joint, the headstock logo (mid 63 w/o the les paul script), no volute but appears to be a hefty neck.

Looks like someone added the middle pickup and added the guard around the dials as well the suedo batwing. Looks like custom made plastic. My junior is very similar. Done in the 70's as all the work looks old.

Probably a great buy at $900 if the neck plays well. 63's are my favorites!

Serial should be in the 1xxxxx range and it looks like it's there just not clear enough to read.

1 person likes this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

The neck-joint looks pre-Norlin, too.

8. Core

Core Senior Member

On closer look it looks like it has single pickups in the middle and bridge. Strange, I'd put a duncan 59 in the bridge and cover the hole with a new guard. The 59 responds really well in those. Just get rid of the plastic under the dials, get a new pg and poker chip and you're good to go too.

I paid $1700 for my 63 junior that was modded for dual humbuckers and had a heel break to give you an idea of value. I thought it was a good deal for what it is but it plays fantastic, those necks are the best!

9. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

No. That plate was added later, along with the large pick guard and hummers.

Missed that one, but yeah, that about seals it to not be an early '70's, and it's definitely not newer.

$900 is a good price. I'd pick it up if I were you. :thumb:

10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Not every Norlin had a volute. I agree that this is probably older, though.

1 person likes this.
  11. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

At $900. you can have fun with that guitar.
    If not, you'll always be able to get $900. back.
    Worst scenario you'll lose a $100.
    Ask for the weight, just for fun. It shouldn't be too heavy.

12. PJM

PJM Senior Member

the guy just got back to me turns out he put up an incorrect ad. He mean't to put $1900 instead of $900.:facepalm:...... o well

13. Core

Core Senior Member

Thought that was a big jump. If you like it offer him $1400 or there abouts and see how he bites.

14. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

has to sell for original price unless the listing ended

15. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

$1900 is way over the top! he will never get that for it!

3 people like this.
  16. PJM

PJM Senior Member

Listing is not on ebay is on craigslist, so not forced to sell. I agree 1900 is way overpriced. I think I'll let this one go.

17. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

what he said! and for $900, I'd say do it if you really want an older SG but not for $1900....

18. PJM

PJM Senior Member

Yeah i'll see if he chimes in...even though i'm not interested anymore it would be good to know.

19. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

Looks to me like it could be a 63. The heel looks right for 63. No way in hell I'd pay anywhere near $1,900 for it though. I propably wouldn't even pay the $900, but that's just me... YMMV.

2 people like this.
  20. Core

Core Senior Member

Honestly with these types of deals, modded guitars, it's really how it feels in your hands and if it really sings to you. Could be something special of a player which could be made to look more original or it may play like a dud and be hard to unload, if you had to do it long distance. It's a hard call but that price is a bit much.

I wouldn't have paid $1700 (and maybe I shouldn't have) for a modded junior if I hadn't actually played it in the store and it hadn't actually played so well. And it's rougher looking overall than this one but it really sang to me. When I was checking it out there was a 61 special that was a little more, pretty clean overall but didn't play near as well to me, just didn't say much.

This guy might not budge much so as you say it's a wash, stick with your instincts. :)

1 person likes this.