What do you do after a headstock damage/break?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by 62ohm, Oct 5, 2017.

1. 62ohm

62ohm Junior Member

So I recently dropped and cracked my neck. Have just got it repaired, but still have that lingering feeling that I might have lost the "mojo". Do you guys who have broken your neck/headstock in the past feels the same, or am I just being irrational?

BEFORE:
    IMG_20170920_210315.jpg IMG_20170920_210347.jpg

AFTER:
    IMG_20171005_162930.jpg IMG_20171005_163201.jpg IMG_20171005_162945.jpg

2. bluesondoor

bluesondoor Member

Part of the mojo is always mental. If it sounds good play it til it takes another bump and then another. After a while you'll not worry about it and just consider it part of its history.

Of course if it has actual playability issues that's different but the repair seems good to me.

dka-65, dffdff, Who and 2 others like this.
  3. Leotis

Leotis Senior Member

You mean before or after the uncontrollable wailing, sobbing, and gnashing of teeth...?

Oh...and the obligatory rending of the garments....

4. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I have a fantastic SG that had a break very similar to yours. I took it in and got it fixed and it plays as good as ever. It doesn't bother me at all...only thing is resale drops, but hey it makes it one that I'll always have...right.

Leotis likes this.
  5. Macronaut

Macronaut Senior Member

My ES-335 had a break a little worse than yours appears to have been. It was new when it happened and the guitar was still "new" with exception of the repair. I did get a substantial discount because of it. It's one of the best, if not the best sounding/playing guitars I own.

The break/crack means nothing, except when/if you sell it.

I suppose it is possible that the repair could have even added some Mojo that wasn't there to begin with. At least you no longer need to be concerned about knocking the new off of it....that's done.

Just play the crap out of it now.

62ohm, Christosterone and mdubya like this.
  6. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

If it was repaired correctly then you're imagening things. Play your guitar.

mdubya and RichBrew like this.
  7. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

"What do you do after a headstock damage/break?"

I lopped-off the headstock of my (only) guitar many years ago, and in my case I had it gummed back on by the mender man and was out gigging with it the following week.

Like now I had to eat, and so did the other members of the band.

mdubya and Who like this.
  8. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Repairs add mojo.

9. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Don't you know? A broken headstock/neck makes a guitar better? I was thinking of breaking the headstocks of all my guitars to make them better!

62ohm, Bemis and bluesondoor like this.
  10. afjungemann

afjungemann Senior Member

I cracked the neck of one of my guitars less than a month after buying it. It was quite a few years ago but I got it repaired and I completely forget about it until I read threads like this.

62ohm and RichBrew like this.
  11. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

IDK? In almost 30 years of playing, I've never had one break. Hell, I've only actually dropped one, but it was a POS, and the top strap-button gave out. Hit the floor, but funnily enough, didn't even get a scratch.

Go figure.

I also keep all of my guitars in their cases, but 4 (that don't have cases), when I'm not playing them.

12. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

I'm very fussy with my things and like to take care of them but as I age I realize that they are amazing tools and it doesn't matter if they aren't mint and they are meant to be played. When I first got into Gibson's it thought I would be devastated if I ever snapped the neck of my them but hey, if it happens I'd get it properly glued and fixed and continue rocking that MF!! You won't loose any tone if it's fixed properly, so go enjoy!

62ohm likes this.
  13. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

My wife bought me a gorgeous LPC a few years back for Christmas. It's a gorgeous guitar and she bought it from a local mom and pop store near here, from folks who know me. Paid $2900. She bought it just after thanksgiving and presented to me at Christmas. Sometime the following week I had the thing on the bench disassembled for my normal inspection/setup routine, I notice some very strange looking signs of trouble on the back of the headstock. Casual glance blew it off as dark grain but curiosity and a magnifying glass led to the conclusion that it had broken and been repaired. Further inspection showed that it was pretty obvious that the neck had been removed and reset. I went back and presented these findings to the shop and the owner (with who I am acquainted and I have spent $$$ in that shop) agreed it was wonky and agreed to a full refund, or to give us $1000 back and we keep it. We chose the latter. The guitar is quite stable and plays and set's up as good as any I have owned. In the end it al depends on the quality of the repair. :cheers:

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  14. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

When box stores drop new lesters and break the headstock, I am there with an [offensively low] offer...

Never noticed anything unusual on correctly repaired headstocks...

-Chris

XpensiveWino and mudface like this.
  15. fry

fry Senior Member

16. kiko

kiko Senior Member

I'd go buy a new one! :naughty:

RichBrew likes this.
  17. moreles

moreles Senior Member

No, I do not experience mojo disappearance, nor do I sense a ripple in the Force. I've been playing long enough to be confident that I am not sloppy or negligent, and when something happens -- my fault, or in some cases, someone else's -- I get past it really quickly since it's part of what happens when you play out, which I love. Most damage can be fixed. Most of us feel that a cracked headstock, repaired well, has no effect beyond strengthening a weak part of the LP structure.

Christosterone, bluesondoor and 62ohm like this.
  18. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

It's like the first dent on a new car. Now that it's done, the ice has been broken and you can start REALLY enjoying it for what it is and not babying it.

The difference in sound, if you are concerned about it, if there even is any (I doubt it), is certainly less than the difference in sound between 2 consecutive serial number instruments.

Now, you can start living!

yamariv, bluesondoor and 62ohm like this.
  19. 62ohm

62ohm Junior Member

I guess I'm just imagining things as it was only little over a month old, but yeah now that it's no longer "pristine" I don't have to worry about it as much and rock it even harder!

20. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Start shopping for a new one, of course.

Christosterone likes this.