What do the knobs do?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by robgil, Jun 14, 2017.

1. robgil

robgil Junior Member

When my selector switch is in the middle position I would have thought both volume knobs would control the volume of each pickup that it was associated with, not so, each volume knob controls both pickups so if I turn either knob down to silent it silences both pickups, is this normal?

2. fry

fry Senior Member

It's normal.

3. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

selector in the middle, all the way off on either, shuts them both off.

That is normal.

Path of least resistance wins again!

4. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Look up,
    "Independent" wiring.

Frogfur likes this.
  5. Baker69

Baker69 Junior Member

On a similar subject, I notice if I turn down the volume (on either pickup) there is a noticeable loss in clarity (high frequency cut-off), is this also normal?

6. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Yes it is normal. If you want to save the treble even at low volumes, you need a '50 wiring (tone connected to the volume output instead of the input), or a treble bleed circuit, which is a capacitor linked in parallel with a resistor, and another resistor in series with the capacitor. The first it's a bit more abrupt in tone change, when you are on the edge of the pots, but you'll save most of the treble from 10 to around 8 (depends on the pot values and capacitor), while the second it's almost capping the trebles, no matter what you do with your volume, which for me does sound bad because tends to make the tone too thin for my taste.

7. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

8. Baker69

Baker69 Junior Member

Thanks for your replies guys. The thread is very useful I'm going to give that a go! I do like the neck pickup as a solo'ing tone as I like the warmth it gives over the bridge pickup.

9. flannelflag

flannelflag Banned

My Epi LP is the same way. At first I thought it had wiring issues. I know at least the bridge tone pot has been replaced in the past cuz it's a long shaft and the others are all shorties. Don't even get me started on the wiring and solder work, it's.... "special"...... and by that I mean awful. It looks like someone first attempt. Sounds good and plays great so I ain't messin with it for now.