What cheap guitar has really impressed you with its quality?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Richie555, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Chadd

Chadd Senior Member

Picked up an LTD ST203 last year online when they were on closeout. The big frets took a little while to get used to, but it's an incredibly comfortable guitar to play for $200

2. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

This. I got it for $150 and at that price, it had a JS Moore P90 and an upgraded
    wiring harness. I played this around the house 90% of the time! It's a load of fun.

[​IMG]
    IMG_1084-edited by vasthorizon, on Flickr

2 people like this.
  3. NRVPaul

NRVPaul Senior Member

Whats cheap? I would say under $300.

LTD
    Ibanez
    Agile
    Xaviere

4. spider

spider Senior Member

I've got one of these Kramer Strikers from the late 80's (Plywood body) and with some upgrades (real Floyd & DiMarzio) @ under $500 it's got sustain for days!

5. paradice

paradice Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  6. Kungphugrip

Kungphugrip Senior Member

i got each of these Agiles for under $300
    got the 2ts AL3010 for i think $265(b stock)
    and it has been my number one since the day i got it.
    i got the CSBFblonde AL3100 for $299 and it is not far from the number one spot:D

[​IMG]

7. burke

burke Senior Member

I bought a MF deal o the day, a Peavey Acoustic, for $49. After I filed down the fret edges (I'm very rudimentary at my best at any guitar work) it plays awesome! Sounds decent, and for the price was amazed. It is now my pick up guitar around the house.

8. mmcquain

mmcquain V.I.P. Member

I just picked up a cheap old Squier ProTone Strat like ones I'd owned (briefly) in the past. I've had to sell my 2 really nice Gibsons recently so I was down to just the Les Paul 60s Tribute (goldtop with P90s - great guitar for the price) and saw this Strat on eBay and figured I'd put in a low bid (they usually sell for more) but I got lucky. It isn't in perfect shape but for the money I've got a decent second electric (and it is nice to have some Strat sounds since I've already got the Gibson).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may end up swapping out the pickups with some noiseless ones but otherwise I still say the ProTone series are great guitars for the money! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

They are terrific! And I always get a bit of a chuckle that it is a Fender (Squier) copy of a Gibson (Valley Arts Brent Mason Tele) copy of a Fender!

1 person likes this.
  10. David Mccarroll

..... meanwhile, I bought a Candy Apple Red Squier Surfcaster (with lipstick pickups) for under $400 here that I enjoy playing so much that she gets more outings than my 59 Strat! Go figure!

I also unfortunately picked up an Eastman figured Mahogany Grand Concert acoustic in our local music store about two years ago - the damned thing got lodged in my brain, and it sat there ...... and sat there ..... and sat there until about three months ago when I went in to pick up a UAD Apollo and in a moment of temporary insanity (after spending nearly $3K on the Apollo) I realised she was simply waiting for me to buy her - $1200 in a superb case for a guitar which quite honestly tone and playability beats the pants off my considerably more expensive Martin 00016C!

Again, go figure! For the guy early on who said he wouldn't pay more than $2 for a Chinese Squier - no, they are not up to the quality of Eastmans, but seriously, the Chinese can make exceptionally good musical instruments!

11. David Mccarroll

Actually the Squier Classic Vibe pickups are a lot better than the cheapo end of the Mexican Fenders - they have a big bar magnet stuck to the bottom of non-magnetised pole pieces - classic Fender tone? - ummmm, nope, not with that construction!

By contrast the Squier Classic Vibe guitars (of which the Custom Tele and Thinlie are OUTSTANDING!) have pickups with AlNiCo 5 magnets as the polepieces - THAT is how you get classic Fender tone! And all this for about $600 here in Australia - that is a whole lot of guitar for the money.

1 person likes this.
  12. babatube

babatube Senior Member

fender marauder modern player,
    this guitar is awesome:

[​IMG]

you get alot of guitar for the price.
    it is my to go axe now.

1 person likes this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

Squier Classic Vibe guitars with the Duncan Design Pickups. Best $279 you could spend. I also have a Jazzmaster CV.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

$300 Ibanez Jazz Guitars. The quality if you look inside at the ribbon and fit, it blows away an Epi Dot. These are really nice guitars.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. GibsonMarshallGuy

GibsonMarshallGuy Senior Member

Guitars? Maybe the mim Fender stuff, but nothing else really.

Now if we're talking about amps, well the Fender Excelsior blew my ass away with the tone and quality! 300 dollars????? SERIOUSLY!!! Amazing amp...

16. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

This Jay Turser strat, got it off CL for $50 a couple of weeks back.

I don't how to describe the tone that pours from it, remarkable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Nickzephead92

Nickzephead92 Senior Member

Agile Al-3000

18. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Senior Member

I've finally come to a decision on this question. I own 15 guitars that are worth from $450 to $4000. Is there a big difference between the low end and high end guitars that I own. As far as how they play and sound (once properly set up) I have to say not all that much. Why is that? I think that it's because we live in a world today where the old rules no longer apply. Cheap and expensive just doesn't mean what it used to. Whether a guitar costs $450 or $4000 today the production methods are still basically the same for both. When I A/B my guitars from expensive to cheap what I hear coming out of a high end quality amp just isn't (qualitatively) all that different.

1 person likes this.