What cheap guitar has really impressed you with its quality?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Richie555, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

Yep! Gotta agree here.

2. PJV

PJV Banned

LTD V-50. AMAZING guitar for the price!

3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

This Orville I had was about the best playing guitar I ever had. At $500 bucks off CL it was a killer find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic Senior Member

Mexican Made Fat Tele from the 90s. I bought it second hand for under $200

[​IMG]

5. james beam

james beam Banned

SX , $119.00 new
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. nicklee13

nicklee13 Senior Member

My two MIM Fenders - a Strat and a Tele. I bought them new years ago and they are holding up just fine. They are just very basic good guitars.

I tried some cheap guitars today -$400 - $500 ish. Ibanez, Esp LTD and Epiphone. I thought the Ibanez was really terrific. The unpainted thin necks felt great and the stock pick ups sounded alright. ESP LTD LP copys were comfortable and nice looking but they didn't feel as good as the Ibanez. The cheap Epis were the worst out of them.

I have been planning on buying a good guitar sometime this year but I have been indecisive about which guitar and having a hard time pulling the trigger on guitars that cost $2500 and upwards. Now I am thinking cheapies is the way to go because I realized today they are a lot better than I thought and it would be much easier to pull the trigger on something like that.

1 person likes this.
  7. bolero

bolero Member

ditto on the MIM teles....best bang for the buck IMO!!

put good pickups in there and you are golden! :dude:

8. mmcquain

mmcquain V.I.P. Member

The old Squier ProTone series from the late 90's were a GREAT bunch of guitars (and they made basses too I think). I've owned 2 of those Strats and 1 of the ProTone Tele Thinlines and all were very good quality (rumour is that they were so good that they were cutting in the USA/Mexican Fender sales so the line was dropped). The only complaint I've ever heard about them is that the necks were pretty thin (which they were - especially on that Tele). But all-in-all they were great guitars!

9. TheSkyIsFalling

TheSkyIsFalling Banned

Squier Classic vibe tele custom... its my main downtuned full step guitar now and it just sounds like the perfect classic tele... stays in tune for days, classic sounding alnico pickups and no feedback with cranked amps and fuzz !

10. shanehen

shanehen Junior Member

I have a couple of cheap Austin Guitars (not Austin Bazaar) that I have been impressed with - a gold top LP copy and a sunburst strat copy. As for the best guitar I have gotten for the dollar was a Schecter Omen 6 for $65 bucks at a pawn shop. Body was nicked up a bit but neck was straight and plays like a dream.

11. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

+1 :thumb:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I sold some stuff on CL to a guy who had a J Turser carved-top double-cut LP type guitar that was just awesome! I couldn't believe how that guitar felt in my hands. It was just like this one, and it was like $200!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Epi rocks

Epi rocks Senior Member

My daughters semi hollow that she left with me. I gave it to her for Christmas some years back. Apparantly ran out of room at her place so......stays with me for a while. :fingersx:

Only cost $150 plus postage from USA. Crappy Pickups and TOM bridge that I replaced with Epiphone HB Classics, a TOM bridge I had lying around . I also fitted a Bigsby style Vibrato.

Plays awesome and has great tones. :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Morris acoustic is also hers. Plays and sounds better than my Fender Montana acoustic.

Kids!! :rolleyes: :dunno:

3 people like this.
  14. Svet

Svet Senior Member

I have been impressed by the Epiphone Masterbilt line of acoustic flat-tops. I hesitate to call them cheap because to me something that is cheap is not only inexpensive but it is also made of lower quality materials and construction technique. The Masterbilts are inexpensive but they are well made using good examples of tonewoods. I've owned several and right now I only own the AJ 500r. I sold off the DR 500ra because I owned six acoustics and the extra bling of the abalone work lost appeal and I had a Dread Martin D35. These Masterbilts sound great, look fantastic, feel wonderful and have a classic mojo factor. Something about the headstock makes me feel like I am playing a 1930's instrument. My AJ projects really well and though it has a big bottom the tone still remains balanced and sweet. I don't feel disappointed playing this guitar when putting down either of my Martins and when one considers the Martins cost over five times more....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. themightyjaymoe

themightyjaymoe Senior Member

Epiphone 'Toby by Tobias' Standard 4 bass. I just snagged one today for under 200 bucks. Thanks to Eric at C.A. House. As a guitar player I am totally blown away by this bass. Pics to follow. I only put it down for a few to type this and drink a beer.

16. Electric Funeral

Electric Funeral Senior Member

Just picked up a Danelectro Hodad MIK from the late 90's. Sorry for the crap photo.

[​IMG]

Really loving it so far, the control layout offers tons of tone options. The "humbuckers" are essentially 2 lipsticks wired in series, and not rw/rp. Push pulls for "coil-tap" (literally just turns off one of the lipsticks in each set) and out-of-phase. Also, I'm really glad the switch is wired up in the traditional Dano way, so with the pull pots down ALL 4 pickups are in series in the middle position. I wouldn't have thought a big 4 coil humbucker would sound so good, but it's awesome for leads and also gives a bit of a volume boost which is great.

Couldn't resist slapping some stickers on it, it's now my #1 punk guitar. :D

17. Gargamel647

Gargamel647 Gold Plated Member Premium Member

Esp Ltd's are the best bang for buck.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. helltone

helltone Senior Member

$150 with original hardshell case.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

I haven't bought any new guitar or bass in over 14 yrs. I ONLY buy guitars and basses in pawnshops. I scored amazing deals on some great vintage Fender and Gibson guitars and basses in the last 5 yrs. Most were scored as same price and most Squire,Agile, etc. budget guitars, so I guess they were VERY cheap to me but not like what you're asking here. I've never paid over $750 for any used guitar or bass in a pawnshop, so here are the best of my "Cheap/Budge" guitars I've scored.

Best Bang for the Buck of "Budget" guitars:

1) '11 TV Yellow Epiphone Les Paul Special w/ P-90 pickups ( $200 w/ case )
    2) '11 Tobacco Sunburst PRS SE 245 (w/ case $236 )
    3) '90 MIJ Sunburst Charvel ST Custom ( $105 W/case )
    4) '75 MIJ Black Electra X310 MPC w/ modules LP Copy ( $250 w/ case )
    5 '90 MIJ Vintage Yellow Fender RI '57 RI P-Bass ( $125 w/ case )

20. Evil Mopars

Evil Mopars Senior Member

By far the Schecter HellRaiser C-1 FR has really impressed me the most. The quality craftsmanship is really top notch, and coil tapping adds a little variety to the active 81/89 EMG pickups.
    You can usually find them pretty cheap on Craigslist.
    In fact I like it so much, I'm thinking of getting this one for the bedroom.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.