What cheap guitar has really impressed you with its quality?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Richie555, Nov 7, 2009.

1. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Thank you! :)

2. jrow1010

jrow1010 Junior Member

I want one ; What kind of guitar is this and where can I get one? ; any responce will be greatly appreciated....thanks jeff

3. Richie555

Richie555 Senior Member

Sorry jrow, i have only just spotted your post, im presuming you are refering to my post so forgive me if im mistaken.
    The sunn mustang i had was a stat copy, i found out later it was made under licence in india or indonesia.

4. Bubbletonic

Bubbletonic Senior Member

[​IMG]

I won a red one of these from a Facebook competition. I don't even remember entering the competition and I'll be honest, when I saw 'one missed call' and listened to the message saying I'd won something, I was a little disappointed when I found out it was 'just' a £290 Ibanez considering I enter a lot of competitions with varied prizes.

The box turns up a few days later and I carefully unpack it just to have a look. I had every intention of selling the thing so I kept all the tags and plastic on it. I think that was probably 3 months ago now and it's not been back in it's box since.

I'm seriously impressed by it. I think my first 'real' guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I saved up for and set me back nearly £400. This guitar is considerably cheaper and plays considerably nicer than that first Epiphone I picked up. It's a no BS 2 piece Mahogany body with a 1 piece maple neck, locking bridge and two humbuckers. Takes what I like from an SG and a Telecaster and melds them together. It's now my sort of 'take around' guitar and I have no plans to sell it.

5. RockinOut247

RockinOut247 Banned

Squier Vintage Modified Tele & Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. Agile AL2000

6. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

That red one looks kinda cool.

7. StratGT

StratGT Senior Member

Agreed...that was awesome!!

Lefty proved once again that there is nothing wrong with the MIM Fenders.

8. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Senior Member

Guess it depends on your definition of cheap... I got a $50 Aria strat knockoff that is surprisingly good... for $300 I snagged a 83 or 84 Tokai Goldstar and another $300, ESP 400 Series Strat..... all are fantastic guitars. Oh yeah, forgot my Agile AL3000M... that thing rocks... I think I paid $300 with a case!! Put in some Fralins and had it rewired... awesome guitar. Of course, nothing touches my DGT though.

9. Chadd

Chadd Senior Member

Picked up an LTD ST203 and I'm really impressed with everything other than the pickups. Once I swap them, this thing may turn into my #1 strat.

10. tzd

tzd Senior Member

This is really nice! Looks like a Wolfgang style body. They don't sell it in the US yet.

11. Krzyates

Krzyates Banned

A Baja Telecaster. Tons of tone for the money.

12. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Senior Member

These two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jedadiah

Jedadiah Senior Member

Without doubt, the best 'cheap' guitar i have owned and still do is the Squier '51. I picked one up for £99 and like it so much, i bought two more! Different enough to not be a Strat clone, great pickups as standard, the bridge could be improved and i'm not 100% about the switching but the weight, balance and sound are great and the neck is amazing! So good, Fender made them stop production and brought it out as a Fender Pawnshop model at more than 3 times the price. If you can get one cheap (prices are rising at the moment) do it and be impressed!

14. mmd

mmd Senior Member

the squire VM series and classic vibe series guitars have consistently blown me away.

15. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Agiles. I haven't tried most of the rest of the Rondo Music stable yet, but I've got my eye on a couple of them for when I clean the loose change out of the sofa.

Samick. I've gone one old '92 that's just a spectacular player.

Schecter. Before I discovered the Agiles, these were my favorite cheap guitar.

Fender Squiers. Aren't they afraid they'll suck up the market and take away sales for the expensive spread? Some of these (not all) are amazing.

16. Kungphugrip

Kungphugrip Senior Member

Squire Classic Vibe Teles are just killer guitars at any price
    maybe too nice lol,like what the hell is fender thinking cuz the current mims have nothing on the CVs.
    Also Agile Al2000s are amazing deals!
    i stopped thinking of Agile Al3XXXs as cheap guitars the second i got my hands on one:dude:

1 person likes this.
  17. Seneca SS

Seneca SS Senior Member

I bought a new Blacktop strat and it was a very well built guitar for the price--I had to sell it to fund my Artist package PRS but will probably own another--

18. entresz

entresz Senior Member

Some of the Squiers coming out these days have been super good..... makes it hard to not leave the store with a guitar.

1 person likes this.
  19. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

I would go for either Blacktop Strat or a Danelectro DC-59. Those things are sweet

20. PaleRider

PaleRider Junior Member

I have a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster, snow white with a black pick guard. Fit and finish are surprisingly good. Its a 2012 model and I only paid $180 for it.