what can you tell me about the Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary head

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Physical_rocks, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Physical_rocks

Physical_rocks Senior Member

I just don't know anything about these? Any good? Price for used? Experience from people that have owned or own one?

2. Big John

Big John bigger is better V.I.P. Member

I had a 6101 combo. With 11 tubes in these amp, I recommend running a fan. Also, if you ever experience any kid of volume cut and none of the usual suspects are at fault, replace the f/x loop jacks. Decent sounding amp as is. Clean channel is great. Run channel 2's gain about 1/2 up and goose it with a TubeScreamer for the grind. Scoop the mids and then boost it (Boss GE-7) on channel 3 for metal.

3. harrie 0492

harrie 0492 Senior Member

I have the blue gold brass edition halfstack and it sound like the devil from hell, you should try one.

4. alowerdeep

alowerdeep Senior Member

yep,great amps..the ultimate Marshall to me..Does all teh Marshalls and does rthem well,including the DSL and it was made before those.....I dont think you need to use any pedals with it....Im thinking of selling mine though.....

5. Core

Core Senior Member

I owned one for a few months and they are great amps actually. Nice clean crunch and lead tones. Nice gain, all tube signal path however to retube one is expensive as there are 11 tubes total.

Check out Marshalforum.com there are numerous threads on them and one very long thread where owners like to hang out.

6. indeedido

indeedido Senior Member

I owned one and wish I still had it. Best Marshall for my money, so many tones out of that amp.

7. zslane

zslane Senior Member

Yes, it has lots of tubes, but pre-amp tubes don't really wear out, at least not for a very long time. It has the same number of power tubes as any other 100watt Marshall head (i.e., 4), and those are the ones that you'd be replacing every few months, depending on usage.

It is a great amp if you want the various flavors of 30 years of classic Marshall tones in one package. The lead channel probably won't deliver as much "modern" voiced distortion as a JCM2000, but with the Lead Mod (6100LM) it gets very close.

I have a 6100 (non-LM) that I will probably be selling now that I have an Axe-FX.

8. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Yeah I know I am trying to find one at a decent price.

9. ynot

ynot Member

I got mine when it first came out & have had it since, my main amp for a long time.As far as it being able to duplicate all the Marshall tones up to that point...well,not really (marketing hype).Before I got it I used a JCM800 2204,and it can cop that tone quite well.But I also have a plexi & can assure you the 6100 can't really do plexi,dirty or clean.The 6100 cleans are ok to me but don't compare to any 4 holer IMO & while it can approximate the "amount" of dirt as a plexi,it can't cop the raw raunchiness or feel at all.I don't think you can really get a convincing JTM45 tone either,again clean or dirty.It is a fantastic amp though if you accept it for what it is & that's a very good & versatile Marshall,not a be all end all.The 1st channel has decent cleans that are very useable,just not my cup of tea,still good though.The 2nd channel will get all your 800'ish tones but way more tweakable,more gain & low end on tap,more gain stage options etc.The 3rd channel has way more gain than I'd ever need & a countour if your into the scooped sorta thing.That's just scracthing the surface though,it has A LOT of bells and whistles,series & parallel loop, pentode/triode, damping etc.It's also easier to get a good tone at lower volumes than a lot of other Marshalls.As far as reliability mine was a work horse,no problems at all,but the combo's did have issues,at least the early ones.When I got mine I was working at a music store & the combos we sold all came back often for warranty repair or eventually exchange/refund.I don't know if the issues were eventually resolved or not.I'd definately recomend the 6100 head though.

10. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

I just made a deal for a 6100LM with the 6l6's

11. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

And I still have it.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.

12. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

I own a 6100 LE and I love it. the clean channel is just superb. the crunch channel -mode B - is my favorite
    it has all you can ask from a marshall. the lead channel needs to be dialed carefully it tends to be muddy if you
    do it wrong. 6100LE (EL34) is my workhorse. Retubing is not no problem since years. The powertubes well after
    some years. You can play with the first stage ECC83s to vary a bit in sound.
    The effect loop (serial/parallel) is just great implemented.

13. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Best thread bump ever.
    Might be even better with a few pics.....
    :)

Gtarzan81 likes this.