What Brand and Gauge Strings Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Alligatorbling, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

My favorite are Elixir 10 - 46 :)

[​IMG]

C_Becker likes this.
  2. eclectiq

eclectiq Junior Member

IMG_1144.JPG IMG_1145.JPG
    SIT, Ohio, USA !!

mdubya likes this.
  3. afranke

afranke Senior Member

10-46 regular D’Addario’s

4. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Just strung up my Flying V with a 7-string set (minus the thinnest string), I have too many guitars in E standard and wanted to try something else.
    So its now 13-56 tuned to DGCFAD. It sounds really dark and thick now and I like the wound G-string.

5. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

D'Addario EXL110BT Nickel Wound Balanced Tension (.010s).

D'Addario Phosphor Bronze on the Martins EJ17, EJ38.

The D'Addario NB1356 Nickel Bronze are great acoustic strings as well. I'll try them again.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  6. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Been a D'addario guy for 25 years, but lately I've been using Gibson RIs. Funnily enough, the Gibsons last twice as long.

10-46, since day-1.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    mdubya, ehb and Guitar Rod like this.
  7. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

Well, I got to own up on something, the DR strings are much better than I expected. After they broke in, they sound so much better than I initially expected and my guitars are staying in perfect tune after 45-60 minutes of playing, they stay in tune better than any string I've ever used in my life. They don't sound as good as Ernie Ball but there isn't a huge disparity, I'd give EB 5/5 and DR 4.5/5 but the DR stays in tune 10x better. Going to try them on my acoustics next.

mdubya likes this.
  8. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

DR. Pure Blues 011-.050

9. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

10's on the Les Paul (Gibson reissue strings)
    9's on the rest of guitars (D'addario or Ernie Ball strings)

mdubya likes this.
  10. Gem23

Gem23 Member

Elixir phosphor bronze nanoweb on acoustic. D'addario wound third 11's on Sheraton. Or D'addario 10's on all else.

11. Gem23

Gem23 Member

I've also just got some Gibson brite wires to try out as they were cheap from my local music shop.

ehb likes this.
  12. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Used D'Ads for decades...until I found Brite Wires. Use em on all my guitars....

Gem23 likes this.
  13. Gem23

Gem23 Member

I've yet to try them. They may be the new thing.. what do you like about them?

ehb likes this.
  14. mgenet

mgenet Earth = Cheese Burger Silver Supporter Premium Member

DR. Pure Blues 9s on the all the electrics
    DR Phosphor Bronze Sunbeams 12s on the Taylor Mini
    D'Addario Phosphor Bronze 11s on the Kay

15. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

NYXLs here. 10-46 on Les Pauls. 9s on Fenders. 11s on my Taylor. They ring clear, sound played-in without sounding dull, and last longest for me.

If I had a 2nd PRS 594, I'd have Optima Golds on that. I love the rhythm tone I get out of those - soft without being dull. They just don't have quite enough attack (for me) for lead work. I'm very curious to find out what they're like on something with a maple neck and board.

I've been trying other brands on and off this year, just to see if any of them suit a particular guitar more than the NYXLs do. I didn't get on with the Elixr strings at all. I've got a set of EBs on my Strat atm. It isn't ringing how I wish it was, but until I swap the strings again, I can't say whether that's the EBs or the instrument.

16. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

D'addario 11-49 EXL115
    Last forever, keep their tone a good couple of months (unlike EB which sound better but last literally a couple of days in my experience).
    <$5 a pack if bought in 3 or more pack orders. No complaints.
    Love EB slinkies but they're only useful for gigging and nothing else imho.

NewDayHappy and Gem23 like this.
  17. Gem23

Gem23 Member

Is that the wound third set?
    I've had these on my sheraton for months now, played every day. Still going strong sounding good.

C.J. likes this.
  18. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

No these have a plain steel third. Round wound.
    I do definitely agree that D'addario strings have legs though. They're on all my guitars presently. I never wanted to use 11's either. They felt hella heavy to begin with. Tore my callouses off. But now I bend the octave on them no problem at all. A well set up guitar with low-ish action and 9-46 strings is still something I appreciate though. I definitely find them easier to play. But as you know some guitars have their own ideas about what strings and action they're going to make you accept. :(

19. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

It's kind of funny you say that because I found a pack of D'Addario phosphor bronze 13 gauge acoustic strings in my toolbox and I am most pleased so far. It's been 3 years since I've played them and I like them better than Ernie Ball. Come to think of it, I like DR, EB and D'Addario strings, I've got absolutely nothing bad to say about any of those companies. DR stay in tune the best, D'Addario I know for sure I like more on my acoustics but as far as electric is concerned I'm going to have a shoot out between D'Addario, DR and Ernie Ball. As it stands now, I like the sound of EB on my electrics the most but DR stays in tune better, I'll probably order up some D'Addarios to slap on there when I get around to it.

20. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Feel, tone, balance across strings, tone lifetime....about everything....

To me, the best string I've played... Subjective, true....but I am responsible for satisfying me...

I also keep my strings clean. I use FastFret regularly and periodically use my foldover sammich skrang cleaner. ;)

[​IMG]

When my FastFret ain't quite FastFretting, I take my bottle of food grade mineral oil and pour a few drops in the bottom of the FastFret can and put the stick back in to sit for a while let the fabric soak up the mineral oil.

Lemon Oil ain't lemon oil. It's mineral oil with a scent and coloring...
    Fretboard Cleaner with Lemon Oil is not Lemon Oil. It's mineral oil with a scent and coloring...
    Mineral Oil. Period.

WalMart constipation section near pharmacy. Equate Mineral Oil (food grade pure)

$1.98 for more than you'll ever use on strings or fretboards in a lifetime....

[​IMG]

mgenet and C_Becker like this.