What Brand and Gauge Strings Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Alligatorbling, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Swampdogg

Swampdogg Junior Member

Dunlop Reverend Willy 7’s. Experimenting at the moment, but I don’t plan on taking em off any time soon. Been everywhere from 13’s to 7s and after experimenting with string gauges and materials a lot recently, I don’t think I’ll ever go heavier than a 9 ever again. This is coming from someone who primarily played 10’s and 11’s for almost 20 years.

2. Reddog22

Reddog22 Junior Member

9-46 in any brand i can get. Doesn't make any difference to me the brand usually.

3. Spellcaster

Spellcaster Junior Member

Gibson Brite Wires .010-.046's. My guitars run the gamut from 22.5 - 25.5 scale and they all sound and play great with the Brite Wires. I get years out of a set of strings and never find they sound dull or lose the ability to intonate like most brands.

4. Jer

Jer Member

BC RICH - cobalt 10’s.
    LP Trad- Ernie’s big freakin Balls 11-54’s
    LP Class 5 - NYXL 11/49’s

5. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys are my go to. P02221.png

mdubya likes this.
  6. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

I bought a five pack of Brite Wires and have found they don't stay in tune at all. I hang the guitars by the headstock when they aren't being played and nearly every time I go to play one they are out.

7. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Still have my Les Paul strung with Ernie Ball 10-46 and tuned to drop C. Did the same to my Strat. Lots of fun.

8. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Used to be indifferent. Then I tried Pyramids, and that is the only brand I have used since. Simply outstanding.

mdubya likes this.
  9. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I have zero issues with tuning on mine, quite the opposite... My current player hangs on a Herc in the corner. No issues with any of mine.
    Air conditioning vents? Windows? Heat source close by? Hmm...
    Temp change will move tuning a bit....some physics laws and such. Been much much cooler at night down here so tuning shifts a bit sharp overnight on the one on the current player stand.. That's not a tuning issue.

10. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

If the guitar was in tune when you hung it up, not in tune when you picked it back up, and nobody had touched strings or anything, and no temp change or vent blowing on it, my little logic light would start blinking... Real quick like....

:cool2:

11. MechEngVic

MechEngVic Junior Member

Really like Thomas Vinci 9-46's on my LP studio but they're getting hard to find. Might have to go with Bright Wires. How much difference will I feel if I go to 9-42's?

12. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

In a transitional phase at the moment going from D'Addario EXL110W 10-46 with a wound 3rd, to their EXL115W 11-49, again with a wound 3rd.

C_Becker likes this.
  13. jap545

jap545 Junior Member

Tried and true original Dadarrio..10s on my 86 custom. Everything else gets 9-46. Same size Gibson is using straight out of the factory. I will use Ernie Ball or DR as a backup brand on occasion.

14. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

DR Pure Blues 11-50 in both standard and drop-D tunings. I love the way they feel and sound and just bring out whatever lives in my guitars in ways other strings don't. That said, I'm curious about the Throbak pure nickel/round core strings in the same gauges.

Nick

15. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I used DR Pure Blues the past few years but tried EB10's when I needed to grab a pack locally and the mom and pop didn't carry DR.

I'm not a picky string guy and the EB's work, are reasonably priced, and available pretty much everywhere so I picked up a batch of them and have them on my guitars with fixed stop tails - 2 LP's, Flying V, Tele and a SG. I use 9's on my Strat.

The comments on the Rev Willy's 7's have me inclined to try a set of those when my stash gets low.

16. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I Keep upping the unwounds and downsizing my wounds lately... i like the punch on thicker GBE and output of thinner EAD... i can see the logic regarding physics and balance. Prob is i gotta buy singles and they go rusty if i buy bulk cause they aint sealed

mdubya likes this.
  17. rtTX

rtTX Junior Member

Gibson LP's:
    EB 2251 Classic Regular, Pure Nickel, .010 - .046

Fender Strat/Tele:
    As above, or GHS Boomers, Gilmour Signature, .010-.048

Danelectro DC-59 (Slide Guitar):
    EB Not Even Slinky, Nickel Wound, .012 - .056

Martin (Acoustic)
    EB Earthwood, 80/20 Bronze Medium, .013 - .056

18. dodona

dodona Junior Member

10-46 various brands, but KERLY KUES are the best.
    For my archtop: Thomastik Swing 012.

19. Nick_M

Nick_M Member

Have been using Ernie Ball super slinky 8s and 10s on my LP studio and they have been great.
    I recently purchased and fitted Ernie Ball "Power slinky" 12s I think they were (just to try them), and My God they are absolutely wonderful for what I need.
    I do a hell of a lot of bending and the 8s seemed too stretchy leaving me with a few tuning issues, but with the power slinky I bend and stay in tune.
    I was a bit dubious as to whether or not a heavier string would hinder my bends but it made zero difference for me, and I am now considering putting some on my 2016 Trad.
    One other thing I did notice (for me anyway) was an increase in sustain and also volume both acoustic and plugged in.
    My finger tips are the only thing that have slightly suffered, and the Mrs says my fingers now feel like a pervy fishermans. Er ..... But .... How does she know wha the....:eek2:o_O

I Break Things likes this.
  20. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Gibson Vintage Pure Nickle 10's for LP's and 335's

D'Addario Nickle XL 10's for Strats.

Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing flat wound, 12's for my archtop

Other strings for other guitars.

mdubya likes this.