What Are You Recording With?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Skintaster, Feb 6, 2011.

1. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

A buddy hooked me up with his entire collection of various old Nuendo discs (including tons of vsts etc) and I just use it outta convenience. It sounds fine for me and my demo work and seems easier to use than the PRO TOOLS that I have and get a headache messing with.

2. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

a bunch of mics into a korg d888 and then mix in acid pro 7....easy to mess with really, just depends how long my patience lasts which usually isnt long. Supposed to be recording stuff with my band as I seem to do everything to do with it but I got bored and have not touched any of it for a while now.

3. hellraiser_666

hellraiser_666 Senior Member

YEah, pt gives me the sh*ts as well, the learning curve is like huge for my experience, but apparently when mastered, its one of the best you can have so ill be patient :D

4. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

Whether they're "the best" or not, ProTools and Logic are the industry standards. Be patient - once you master it, you're golden.

5. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

Zoom R24, Reaper based workstation, various microphones usually Shure and AKG.... GB

6. Sweeper5

Sweeper5 Senior Member

Sonar Producer 8.5.3 is about the only DAW I've ever used. I goofed around with Nuendo/Cubase a little, but only on a friend's PC. I found it to be very similar to Sonar. I've been a Sonar user since version 5.0, and it's always served me well for my little projects.

7. ACELUEK

ACELUEK ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON

Cakewalk Home Studio 7 XL..

8. renthepen

renthepen Senior Member

DAW: Pro Tools Digi 003 rack

Preamps: Great River ME-INV, Focusrite Trackmaster Pro and Art tube Mp project

Mics: At 30-35, SM-57 and SM-58, Modified Nady mics

Amps: Fender Twin Reverb red knob, Vox Pathfinder Bass-10 (a bass amp great for guitars!)

Bass: P-Bass
    Acoustic Guitar: Fender GA-45

Electric Guitars: Can you guess? Les Pauls, of course! But when I need a whammy bar I use the good old Strat.

All and all I think I got a nice little home studio there, but what I have come to realize with time is that the best investment you can make to do better recordings is not Gear-Related...

...its Education: Every $ I spent in audio-recording courses was worth more than any mic, DAW or pre. Of course, if you still record on a 4-track Tascam tape recorder... maybe it's better to buy yourself a computer first ;)

9. analogexplosions

analogexplosions Junior Member

Digi 003 Rack
    Pro Tools 9
    Ableton Suite 8
    Logic Studio 9
    Harrison Mixbus

All DAWs that I use have their own niche functions that I like. Pro Tools for tracking and editing, Ableton for writing/creating, Logic for post-production type stuff, and Mixbus for, well, mixing!

10. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

11. planks

planks Senior Member

Guitars ---> POD X3/Vox ToneLab LE ---> Behringer UB1622FX-PRO Mixer ---> Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz w/ M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496 Audio Card ---> Logic Express 7

Prodipe 5 active monitors
    AKG 271 Mk II headphones

12. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

I use a Line 6 GX for basic recording so far through an older PPC iMac G5 running GarageBand.

13. tampa898

tampa898 Senior Member

An EMU 1820M sound card.
    2x focusrite 428 pre amps (1 with digital Card)
    2x focusrite Liquid channel pre amps
    1x universal audio 2-610 pre amp
    2x universal audio La 610 pre amps

plus a boat load of mics ranging from Rode, AKG, shure, chameleon labs, Audio technica, senheisser ect.

Reaper for a Daw, Waves plugins and a PC platform. It all works really nice I must say.

Pete

14. GibsonFan

GibsonFan Senior Member

I record with Cubase 4, but mix and master in Adobe Audition.

As for hardware, I've been through a lot but the combination that works best for me is this.

Behringer RX1202FX

PreSonus-Studio-Channel-Tube-Channel-Strip

PreSonus Firestudio Tube

BBE-882i Sonic Maximizer

Obviously some power conditioners etc and too many mics too list. If in doubt, always go SM57. As for plugins and VSTs, I loooove Izotope Ozone 4, Izotope Alloy (especially for monitoring),anything Waves, SSL packs, SSL or Softube compression, Wizoo Reverb, Melodyne for some Autotuning, and some T-Racks. I'll still take analog over digital at ever chance I get, though digital conversion and processing really has come a long way.

And one thing I've learned over the years that I wish I'd have known about $10,000 ago is this: It doesn't matter how much you spend on recording gear, if you don't know how to REALLY use each piece, you'll never find the collective whole you are looking for. A professional and unique recording technique and sound is as much of an art as music itself. It takes the same time, practice, research, and passion that you put into actually playing and writing.

15. mcqlfc

mcqlfc Member

16. LedMetallica

LedMetallica Member

well i might as well throw my name into the hat here ...

Guitar - Epiphone Prophecy LP
    Line6 TonePort

SONAR 8.5 (I used to use Acid Pro, till I realized it's limitations. I'm very tempted to try Pro Tools now that I see so many people mentioning it. But sonar has been great though)

17. dudu

dudu Senior Member

[​IMG]

Leendrix likes this.
  18. Iron Blimp

Iron Blimp Premium Member

Mackie 24/96 recorder, Tascam mastering recorder, Lexicon effects, dbx compressor, cheap 32-channel Behringer POS mixer, dual parametric EQ's, 5" near-fields and a KLH sub.

[​IMG]

19. 69SG

69SG Banned

Tascam DP-008
    Tascam 488MKII
    Lexicon MX200
    Ibanez DM1100

20. BigAl

BigAl Senior Member

Shure Beta 57 dynamic
    Tascam US Mk122 (or something like that)
    Logic Pro 9 (or garageband when I'm just messing around and want things to be rough)
    MacBook Pro.

Simple yet very effective :thumb: