Were there any changes to SG's in the Norlin Era?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Oranjeaap, Feb 20, 2011.

1. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

John,
    same happened to me (twice) over the years.
    Funnily enough, I wanted a '68 thinking it had been Angus Young's first SG.
    What happened in very short time is, first I uncovered my guitar wasn't a '68 but it was a '71. One day after this - and I was in pain - I did find out Angus' first SG was a actually a '71 (wrote a lot about it).

Couldn't have been happier, and still am.
    Right now, I almost favor more '70s and '71s than '68s and '69s.
    Not only for now I know the truth but also because, indeed the early '70s ones are different, very comfortable but mostly, extremely powerful and "cut-thru" guitars.

2. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Oh, spiffing!!:thumb:

3. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

I would say that the 70's SG are one of the best value on the vintage market, I hzve had several over yhe years that were good players. The SG with the walnut body from 79 are excellent if you can find one

4. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Yeah, that was my story too... Wanted one like Angus' but, I had no idea what year any of his were (or even that it made a difference.... oh how the Internet has changed that, huh? LOL!!!). I thought it was cool that it was close to my birth year, '68.

I had a 68 ES and this 70-1 SG and I have become fond of the volute actually. I think it's very comfortable for playing down at the far end of the guitar. Both have kinda skinny nuts, which I don't' care for, but I can live with on the SG. I don't l know that I would actively seek out a Les Paul from this era, but I do like the SGs a lot. Having never heard this SG with the stock pickups, I dunno about that either. My ES was a good guitar, but I always thought it lacked a little something, from time to time, as per the pickups.

But my SG with the P-Rails sounds pretty good. I am most fond of the P-90 and Humbucker sounds in it. The rails, not so much.

Anyway, I'm glad I finally noticed the Vintage SG forum... Cool to find out all this stuff about my guitar!

geochem1st likes this.
  5. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Please post a pic of it! :thumb:

6. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Many moons ago, I actually learned to play electric guitar on a 70 SG with a Bigsby, that was my friends. I absolutely loved that guitar. He wound up trading it for a tele.... I could have shot him :laugh2:

7. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Okay, you asked for it!

Here's a poor quality one. It's also not current. I swapped out the push/pulls for toggles.... The holes were already there when I bought it, don't bitch! I didn't like the quality of the push/pull pots and went with Bourns and a good pair of caps from Jonesy.

And yes, the inlay is awful... I was young and dumb. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to 'fix' it. My skill level has greatly improved, as has my patience, since first undertaking the 'SG Project'.

This gal's been through hell, it fell at one point about six feet and the neck broke from the body and there's a big gouge in the edge near the strap button. At one point, I had completely stripped it and it's finished in Shellac now (which I love the velvety soft finish of, by the way). All the hardware went missing in between several moves, so I've had to find aftermarket stuff all over. But she's a player not a beauty queen. And she plays quite well actually.

It was never worth a lot of money as it wasn't stock when I bought it. I'm sure I've probably ruined all potential resale value, except she plays like a dream... and I ain't planning on selling her anytime soon anyway.

Attached Files:

8. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I'm in love with that custom. Natural finish is the best when it comes to SGs. That custom looks much better than the black or white ones.

9. EgilH

EgilH Junior Member

The body size of the Norlin SG's was also slightly increased, 71-72 had no neck angle (neck was parallel to the body), almost no beveling in the cutaway. Beveling gradually came back in 73. Headstock angle also changed from 14 back to the original 17 degrees around the same period.