Went to GC Saturday ....

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Colorado kid, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Colorado kid

Colorado kid Junior Member

So I worked out a trade for my strat and some cash for a yz250f . The guy wasn't familiar with guitars and wanted to meet me at GC to " make sure it's not a fake " . No problem I say thinking right away this should be interesting . So the kid working at gc tells me the headstock decal isn't original ( the chrome decal fender used for awhile ) and that fender never used those , the pickguard had been changed and it was made in Mexico using USA electronics , a California special. So he calls fender with the serial number ( DZ5 xxx) and after 5 minutes of trying different extensions he tells us that " it's real and it's a 2005 fender deluxe " , (information that almost any fender player on the planet could decipher from the serial number . ) He didn't even notice the s1 switching , rounded heel , locking tuners or locking straps . Anyways we both left kinda laughing and the yz guy says " you know more about fenders than the guys working there " . So it went exactly as I thought it would . image000000.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Yeah..glad my GC manager knows hos stuff..these dweebs in some of them are clueless.

3. Colorado kid

Shout out to GC in Pueblo ! What a dive . The one in Colorado Springs is better ( but the yz guy didn't want to meet me there ) and the older guy ( older ... Haha he's in his 40's maybe ) working there knows his stuff .. the tech is good too in Colorado Springs ...

4. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

I have no problem with GC employees not being forensic experts on every model of guitar that comes their way.

I got this perspective from a car salesman. He said "everyone who walks in knows more about these cars than I do. They are doing detailed internet searches on one model, I have to learn what I can about every option/color/model/trim that comes through every year".

Wanting a GC guy to be an expert on every guitar, is like wanting the guy in the pvc aisle in Lowes to be a Master Plumber. Sometimes, they are. But most times.... they're just someone who wanted a job in a place they wanted to work.

Rocco Crocco, jlu52, RichBrew and 3 others like this.
  5. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

That doesn't hold up.

The kid should have kept his mouth shut, rather than spout off ignarant nonsense. Its OK to say 'I have no idea' rather than that it was fake.

6. Colorado kid

A interesting thought ... The general public ( yz guy ) sees guitar center as a reliable source to make a decision on regarding a $1000 trade

7. Colorado kid

Ok so a lawyer , a priest and a hooker walk into a guitar center . The lawyer says " this was a great idea I can just sense all the lawsuits in here . " The priest says " I don't know , I can sense the devil in here " . The hooker says " this was a great idea I can visit both of my sons working tonight " .

truckermde likes this.
  8. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

+1

Basics on gear and can you work nights and weekends is the criteria for places like GC.

9. Who

When I worked at Wegmans, I didn't know a thing about diapers, but I could tell you what aisle they were in.

When I worked at Burger King, I knew NOTHING about nutrition.

When I worked at Radio Shack (more appropriate comparison)(worked for commission) I knew nothing about the Tandy 1000. Or the receivers. Or VHS players. N O T H I N G.

If some nerd (or educated consumer) walked out thinking "I should go where I'm appreciated and the help knows their stuff"..... I wouldn't have cared a bit. I was getting minimum wage either way.

10. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

The Fender Stratocaster Deluxe may be the most recognizable production Strat their is. Would have taken 5 seconds to recognize what it was.

11. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

YZ250F as in?

[​IMG]

freebyrd 69 and Matt_21 like this.
  12. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Call Fender with the serial number.

13. Who

Ric, he did.

14. Colorado kid

2011 yz250f ( actually a 269 big bore with Bruce sass porting )
    Did the trade for $1200 and the strat

Who likes this.
  15. Colorado kid

IMG_20171226_181350255.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Have fun on the two fiddy!

Colorado kid likes this.