Well there is no shortage of Friedman's

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by rockinlespaul, May 16, 2018.

1. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

8 of them for sale on the first 3 pages at TGP. Dayum....:laugh2:

2. Big John

Big John STFU and play V.I.P. Member

How are the used prices doing on them? Still pretty strong?

bulletproof likes this.
  3. afranke

afranke Senior Member

maybe people feel guilty after buying them and are trying recoup some $$,,who knows.
    I also see them here and on reverb a lot.

rockinlespaul and bulletproof like this.
  4. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Man, y’all ain’t kidding! It kinda seems like the majority of the guys selling are going for a Fender type amp as well:hmm:

5. monty john

monty john Senior Member

Doesn't Friedman offshore the circuit boards and if you look at the guts, its mass produced crap? hhhmmm

6. rockinlespaul

For the most part yes, but there is the occasional deal to be had.

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.
  7. rockinlespaul

I noticed that as well lol.

bulletproof likes this.
  8. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Did everyone finally sell their carol ann, swarts, metropolis, bludotone, 30 rock, divides by 39 and other assorted clones that are so stupid expensive you can sometimes buy the real deal for less money?

Lolz

GearHo, X–Ray, Pappy58 and 4 others like this.
  9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I think this is a mix of the following: -

Never ending Amps GAS
    I bought the Amp & now realize it is somewhat difficult to play (same as I found out with my '68 JMP50)
    I bought the Amp & don't like it
    I bought the Amp & now I need money for a bill
    I bought the Amp & my Wife has removed all forms of conjugal visitation rights :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    I need to sell the Amp to buy yet another............Amp
    I sold my Amp only to regret it & now I have to buy the same one Model back again

I personally know 4 friends who own BE100's & have no plans to sell (2 are semi pros, one is a full time pro & one is weekend warrior).

I owned a Dirty Shirley (great amp) but one of the above friends was on my case to sell it to him & since he lives 5 minutes down the road & we share a lot of gear I sold it to him....................(plus I am waiting on a JTM45 to come through & a few others).

So in reality, IMHO, we are in a sea of great options when it comes to Amps, loads of new & second hand options for all budgets.

Much like Guitars, many are swapping gear because well...............you know the story, we've all been there. ;)

One thing is for sure, getting that great Amp won't make you a better player............inspired yes, motivated yes,..........better no. :(

My 2c FWIW. :)

:cheers2:

10. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Who told you that?

[​IMG]

11. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Dunno. My amps all have printed circuit boards (5 amps, 70W RMS total $1600 for all 5), but I'd take hand wired crap before laying out mucho moola for a PCB. At least hand wired can be rewired...

12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I think the Runts used PCB vs. the other like the BE100 & the DS which are Turret Board wired.

Remember if you use a PCB base or a Turret Board Base they are both “hand wired”.

Only mass production PCB is pick & place and then flow soldered ona an automatic line.

Next, true hand wired uses no boards whatsoever. It looks like a mass of wires everywhere.

:cheers2:

13. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Point to point uses no boards.

Incorporating a tag or turret board (without any printed circuit technology) is still true hand wired.

14. rockinlespaul

Yes Rudi, but wouldn't being inspired and motivated make you a better player? One would think so.

15. rockinlespaul

True point to point handwired is component to component. No board. A rat's nest if you will...

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.
  16. monty john

monty john Senior Member

Some hack that worked on one......that looks mighty clean if you ask me.....awesome....

17. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

I ain't getting rid of my Dirty Shirley Mini. Unless someone wants to give me stupid money for it.

I do want a DRRI, but not at the expense of an absolutely fabulous amp. So I'll suck it up and save up for one.

18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

This may have changed, but I don't believe so: Friedman and many boutique brands are built by a boutique conglomerate in southern California.

They are semi-mass produced, but still hand built. Dave Friedman does NOT build them. But he does sign them.

I think a lot of 40 and 50 somethings think they are going to finally get the amp they desired when they were 15, 20, 25. A lot of bravado about how they are going to play loud, no matter what.

Then reality sets in. Loud hurts my 52 year old ears. And nobody else wants to hear you strangling cats, either.

I remember playing a gig with one of my local hero/buddies when we were in our early 30's. He apologized for not sitting out front when my band played. "I can only stand my own loud noise anymore" he said. I understood. Noise annoys once you get past a certain age. My nephews come in and turn up ^^^ all of my amps to what they considered low volume. I grin and bear it.

As far as loud goes; been there, done that, loud and proud for many years.

I, personally, am quite content playing electric guitar at a volume with which I can sing along acoustically (nobody really wants to hear that either, if I am honest) or which could easy accompany an acoustic guitar.

19. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

Basing any trends on what happens over at that other site is a bit misleading. Many of the guys over there change amps more often than their underwear and if it is exclusive and expensive, of course it is great. :rolleyes:

I like Friedmans. I think they do a better Marshall tone than modern Marshalls. If I didn't have a killer 73 Marshall, I would be all over a Smallbox or HBE. That being said though, with Friedmans now being available at your local GC or mail order house, they are no longer exclusive and starting to saturate a dwindling market, which is why they are starting to show up on sites like Reverb now also. Considering they all are pretty much a one-trick-pony and factor in the lower end models are now PC board assemblies, and you can see why they are no longer appealing to a certain segment at that other site and to players who are looking for more flexibility in their tone.

As for boutiques in general, I own some along with many vintage amps and even some modelers. I didn't buy any of them based upon status symbol or what I wanted to sound like when I was 15 or because they were a clone of some other amps. I bought them because they were the best available tool for the sounds and features I needed.

Although I think there are some overpriced and over-hyped boutique clones out there, to casually assume all boutiques are trendy, over-priced clones is a bit of a stretch.

20. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Fred you're right..................but for most it lasts about 1 - 2 months & then GAS hits & they go through the buying & selling thing again. This hardly makes you a better player..........IMHO.

Just look at what goes on here re NDG's & the Classifieds Section.

Cheers, Rudi