Weak, thin wah

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by 5F6-A, Nov 30, 2017.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I have several wah pedals which I love. One of my favourites has become weaker, quiter and midrangey over time. I suspect a dying component... I'm sending it to a tech soon but in my mean time. What could be wrong with it? Any experience of anything similar?

https://soundcloud.com/5f6-a/weak-wah

2. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Sorry, but this has not happened to me and should not be happening to you. Wah components should not degrade, period, unless maybe over several decades. Is the power supply functioning properly? A loose wire or short is more likely, IMO, than a component fail. This stuff is maddening. I hope you have a good tech who knows pedals, because this stuff can be hard to trace.

5F6-A likes this.
  3. sonar

sonar Senior Member

I'm stumped?

Other than a switch going bad or a worn out potentiometer there is not much that can go wrong with a regular Wah.

Please let us know what went wrong when you find out.

oh... and what kind of Wah is it?

Mockbel and 5F6-A like this.
  4. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

My wah is optical. All sorts of stuff can go wrong.

5F6-A likes this.
  5. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Roger Mayer Red Lion in Dunlop Crybaby casing.

6. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Should be on the tech bench this week! :)

7. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I am interested to know what's wrong with it... If it was dead I would say maybe a component is dead but becoming weak and thin.. I don't know !

5F6-A likes this.
  8. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

5F6-A,
    So it's not dead, just anemic/thin sounding. It' sounds like it's starved of power.
    Have you tried it straight out of a clean amp, with no fuzz- OD-or anything in front of it?
    Certain pedals in front of it will cause goofy sh#t to happen.
    I wonder if one of the resistors could be too high a value.
    :hmm:

5F6-A likes this.
  9. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

When my guitar sounded like what you describe, tone suck, my three-way switch was epically corroded/dirty. Cleaning helped immensely but in the end, had to be replaced along with the harness.

Perhaps a pot or connector(s) is WAY dirty.

10. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

SORTED!!!!

In the end, it was an easy fix albeit somehow unusual. One of the 4 transistors was faulty leading to extremely low gain with some leakage. The rest was rock solid; with a new silicon transistor the Red Lion is back roaring as it should:

Not me playing but good representation of its signature sound.

The Lion is no longer starving.
    [​IMG]

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  11. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Hope to get it back today.

12. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Got the pedal today. Thanks to the expertise of an excellent pedal tech, the wah sounds again as it should now. It feels and sounds very different to my other wah (Italian JEN). The JEN sounds great with what seems more range in its tone, a different taper and a funkier, narrower Q type of sound. Transistors seem to be biased much hotter in the JEN also. Probably closer to the traditional wah sound that I have in my head (grew up in the 70s).

The Red Lion is more subtle but not without its charm. Kind of unique vintage voice that I hear in most RM wahs. It works really well both clean and with dirt although the real beauty of the pedal is not just the waka-waka sound from rocking the pedal backwards and forwards but the super smooth grey area in between closed and open postions. Seems less fat than most VOX type pedals with a slender, classy conservative low end. Certainly unique and certainly more refined and better sounding than most of the modern Voxes or Crybabies that I have played before (which don't sound at all bad either).

These days there are some fantastic boutique wahs out there (e.g. Wilson Teese, Area 51, Castledine, Xotic...) but I don't have any experience playing any of them. The RM sounds different and good though... I'm a happy camper.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 7:00 AM
  13. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

I have the xotic wah and i must say it is the most versatile wah ive ever heard. It is so tweekable that it can sound like many different wahs, not sure if it can do the Red Lion sound as I've never played with one of them. Its based on the 67 Italian Clyde McCoy but with the bias, wah q, treble and bass knobs it can do alot. Tuen there are the dip switches and gain pot inside to change the toe down range, input gain, presence cut and wah q frequency. Its boarderline too complicated.

5F6-A likes this.
  14. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I love that Xotic!!
    Not many Red Lion wah videos/demos... the one above is quite good. Also this one is okay:

Wah starts at 1:44
    https://app.box.com/s/krams2yl9s

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 6:59 PM