We Need a Different Kind of Kid Show

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by acstorfer, Oct 2, 2017.

1. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

I agree with everyone who says let kids be kids and enjoy life a little. School is very, very competitive today. Everyone wants their darlings in the gifted classes, parents want their kids to excel at some kind of sport, if your kid doesn't make the honor roll it's a disgrace of sorts... National Junior Honors Society requires 40 hours of volunteer work per year (not so easy as it sounds- can't volunteer at a for-profit organization so it really narrows your choices). Never felt that kind of pressure as a kid, but my kid sure does. It's real. It's real competitive today, make no mistake. Kids need to have time to chill and not feel on edge so much.

bilbarstow, Rich, SteveGangi and 2 others like this.
  2. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Part of that pressure has been on teachers to give good grades when they aren't deserved. This has backfired on student, because now, everyone gets an "A" and you have to work even harder at distinguishing yourself.

College admissions usually goes like this: they poll all of their internal constituents (within the university) for what they need: race, ethnicity, fencers, violinists, athletes, mathletes, trans people, political whack-a-doodles, etc. When they have filled those slots, based upon subjective criteria, then they go to the general pool with the remaining slots on (mostly) objective criteria. Those remaining spots are that much more competitive. So, the helicopter parents have to push their kids into those special groups. There is a fencing school in my town and I guarantee you it is primarily a tool for college admissions. Hey, I tried to get my son to do it.

acstorfer likes this.
  3. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

You. Monster. You.

You deserve to be ostracized from civil society you awful awful man.

:naughty:

SteveGangi and acstorfer like this.
  4. redjunior

redjunior Senior Member

Bring back "SuperMarionation". We need the Thunderbirds 'bout now.....:cheers:

acstorfer likes this.
  5. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

I once used the word "obstinate" on a kid's report card (5th grade), which was a well-deserved and accurate descriptor of his attitude and behaviour. The report was proofread and approved by my grade-level colleagues and admin, all of whom knew this kid well.

Kid's mom went ballistic. Came to the school the following week (summer break had begun) and demanded that the report be changed and re-issued.

The school caved.

Pissed me off.

Back on-point: Yes, kids need to fail. They need to learn how to fail. They need to learn to pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and try again. They need to find their limits, push against them, and figure out when to keep going and when to call it a day. They need to know their actions have consequences. They need better role models and better media.

Rich, Soul Tramp and acstorfer like this.
  6. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Akron and njit had different admissions policies. Perhaps it’s because both are state schools. Anyway, their policy was to let everyone they could in. They left it up to the students to progress or fail out. Unfortunately that policy became very flawed. When I was there new state funding policies changed funding from admitted students to graduating students. More students graduated than should have. It really devalued my degree in my opinion.

7. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

acstorfer likes this.
  8. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I agree ....

But they also need to understand that they can, and will sometimes make mistakes and fail along the way. It's part of the human condition. To be afraid of failure is to be paralyzed. We need to be realistic.

9. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Rich and acstorfer like this.
  10. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

My favorite was when Bobby joined track. He became the “Stick”. The coach would put Bobby in whenever his players slacked.

11. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I remember that one too, I love KOTH, here's one of my very favorite moments from the show. This is from the very first episode.

acstorfer likes this.
  12. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

acstorfer likes this.
  13. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

14. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

All I learned from cartoons was that if an anvil fell on your head, you walked around like an accordion till the next scene.

15. Roberteaux

Roberteaux GOOMPH! V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

--R :D

CRobbins, acstorfer and Rich like this.
  16. Roberteaux

Roberteaux GOOMPH! V.I.P. Member

:laugh2:

Well... it was a lesson worth learning... :hmm:

--R :D

acstorfer, SteveGangi, LP121 and 2 others like this.
  17. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

So spot on!

There are variations of a quote attributed to Thomas Edison about inventing the light bulb when a reporter asked him how he felt about failing 1,000 times before; my favorite version is this one:

“I have not failed 1,000 times—I’ve successfully found 1,000 ways that will not work.”

Roberteaux and acstorfer like this.
  18. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

19. Death Incarnate

Death Incarnate Premium V.I.P. Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I did not mean literally. My point is that there is no end game taught or values placed on cultural contributions, and they don’t even admit monetary or capitalistic achievements are what they are leading you to, to be a cog in the system. In college, philosophy and sociology spell these things out. I just think the end of high school should contain a class concerning Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Philosophy 101, etc.
    That’s true sometimes, but not realistic. I would prefer the parents, teachers, entertainment not delude children into thinking everyone wins. I think “a better life” (a song title of my band) comes from finding one’s own value system, and not chasing the values a sick society endorses.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    acstorfer likes this.