We Need a Different Kind of Kid Show

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by acstorfer, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

The highlight of my Saturday morning:

[​IMG]

Rich and Soul Tramp like this.
  2. Emmitt Fitzhume

Emmitt Fitzhume Senior Member

I wish someone would make me take a nap.

smk506 and Marshall & Moonshine like this.
  3. Emmitt Fitzhume

Emmitt Fitzhume Senior Member

Cartoons are on all the time now.

4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-cartoons-are-no-more/?utm_term=.f76c0ddf0c41

In 1992, NBC was the first broadcast network to swap Saturday morning cartoons for teen comedies such as “Saved by the Bell” and a weekend edition of the “Today” show. Soon, CBS and ABC followed suit. In 2008, Fox finally replaced Saturday morning cartoons with infomercials.

In the 1970s and 1980s, a Saturday morning cartoon viewership could grab more than 20 million viewers. In 2003, some top performers got a mere 2 million, according to Animation World Network.

What happened? Cable, technology and the FCC. ...

The 90s also saw a shift in the type of TV geared towards kids — thanks to a Federal Communications Commission rule requiring broadcast (but not cable) networks to offer at least three hours of educational programming a week between 7 a.m and 10 p.m. The rule also limited kid-centered advertising during children’s TV programs, which made cartoons less profitable for networks. ...

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  5. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

You're going WAY back. In those days my favorites weekend cartoons were Jonny Quest and Clutch Cargo. And at night it was Top Cat.

Tone deaf likes this.
  6. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Scrappy Doo ruined them

Tone deaf, Emmitt Fitzhume and Rich like this.
  7. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I am just the Grandpa. The best months of my life were babysitting the 3 girls. I was 1/2 mile away. Their parents worked crazy hours. They were 2-4-7 years old. It was just fun. I can not tell you how much they loved it. Why? I let them play. I had "My" rules. I was a Direct teacher and they knew. Don't mess with me. Time passed and I wasn't needed for a few years. I was called again. The two younger ones remembered me. They were all over having the Grandpa back.

Bobby Mahogany and acstorfer like this.
  8. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Most importantly, kids needs to be allowed just to be kids and enjoy their childhood. Play, intreract with other kids. They are only young once and that is a very short period. Having a happy and joyful childhood is one of the important things to a good life. There is too much pressure nowadays to prepare the child for success.

9. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

ST, I've read, respected, and enjoyed your posts here at MLP. Someday, I hope to own one of your amps. I'd be honoured to come up to HCMC and hoist a pint or two with you.

But on this, I could not disagree with you more.

You, of all people, should know that educators and educational systems around the world are not equal.

When I see a kid with "low potential / motivation" push him/herself, I'll congratulate that effort. And if I see "high achievers" slacking, I'll call them out, every time.

I've seen "privileged" kids who are complete twats. And, I've seen "privileged" kids who are humble and hard-working.

I've seen kids with intellectual and socially-challenging disorders overcome themselves and be successful, in spite of themselves.

Hard work is hard work, and it's a poor teacher - or system - that can't recognize and reward it.

Rich and acstorfer like this.
  10. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Penny, I don't disagree with anything you wrote. My post was a gross generalization that is unfair to the many good educators.

My view is based on personal experience and the people I know involved with education at all levels. I don't believe the problem is resources and money. I believe the fundamental problem is at home. As well, social and educational experiments have contributed to a downward spiral.

Rich and acstorfer like this.
  11. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

+1000. My little sisters loved Scrappy. I hated him and wished that he had been sent to a cartoon puppy farm.

acstorfer likes this.
  12. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

13. Who

The same thing that happened to the 6:00 news.

14. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

My oldest is a freshman in college (huge southern univ), pledging a frat (at this moment he's taking exams and then has to get back to the pledges building the homecoming float). It seems like a blink of an eye since the day we brought him back from the hospital. His formative years passed us by faster than my own did.

At first, I thought I was going to be uber (I hate that term when used by non-Germans, btw) parent and make sure he does this and that and is number one at blah, blah, blah. Thankfully, while he was still a baby, I figured out that the kids needed to have lives, have fun, and discover the richness of life - like I was able to do when I was growing up. We had very few rules, without being the lawless house of awful children. They had to be polite and respectful, homework had to be done, all extracurricular activities had to be fulfilled (i.e. no skipping practice). We didn't allow computers and tvs in the kids' rooms and to the extent that we could, prevented them from watching inappropriate stuff. Beyond that, they had some autonomy. So far, so good.

15. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

acstorfer likes this.
  16. Who

Gen X? Gen Y?

In Gen-2017..... you can be both ;)
    [​IMG]

I'm still confused how there are so many people called "millennials" that are over 17 years old.

acstorfer and PeteK like this.
  17. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

WTH? You think we should have a class that teaches kids that our value system and culture is nothing more than a distraction from death? Yeah, that seems like a good idea...not.

Kids should learn from parents, teachers, Hollywood and everywhere else, that hard work, perseverance, planning and good decisions lead to a better life and that bad decisions and playing the victim lead to a bad life. They need to learn that they are the only thing that stands between themselves and greatness.

SteveGangi and acstorfer like this.
  18. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

:thumb:

The shows you describe have already been done in spades. Watch a few episodes of "Leave it to Beaver", "Ozzie and Harriet" ,"My Three Sons", "The Donna Read Show", and "Andy Griffith". In the mid-50s and early 60s, you can see where people's heads were at. Family values ruled and people respected each other. I sometimes wonder if the looming threat of being nuked on any day at any time, had anything to do with it.

These shows would not go over today since Hollywood may not think they have enough sex, greed and violence, which the public "should" be watching. Our family values are now defined by degenerate shows like "Survivor" and "Big Brother". Hollywood and its actors are the first to speak out against greed, sex and violence in society, all the while they are filming their TV shows and movies promoting greed, sex and violence, to fund their Malibu mansions.

Television is nothing short of toxic these days. Especially for children. Check out the "ME-TV" network sometime and watch the shows created in the old days, back when people actually gave a sh$t about each other.

19. DavGrape

DavGrape Silver Supporter

Saturday morning cartoons are missed by myself.
    Every Saturday.

Rich, kiko, SteveGangi and 2 others like this.
  20. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Not "different". They need to bring back (not "reboot/remake") a lot of the stuff from the '70s, '80s, and early '90s.

I learned more from many of the shows (i.e. Mr. Wizard), than I ever did in school.

DavGrape and acstorfer like this.