We Need a Different Kind of Kid Show

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by acstorfer, Oct 2, 2017.

1. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

First off, I am not a parent and I don’t sit around the tv watching educational kiddie shows (I prefer my cartoons to be a bit F’d up), but from my experience babysitting and scrolling thru the listings it seems all the shows meant for kids focus on sharing, inclusion, friendship, and so on. All of these are important messages and they should be watched by children (imho). However I’ve never seen a kids show focusing on how important it is to succeed. There doesn’t seem to be any kiddie shows enforcing what it takes to be better than their peers.

Here’s what I’m thinking kids should be taught also by these types of scenarios.

There can be a story about one kiddie winning something like a box of cookies or candy bars, etc. Instead of the focus being on how the winner should share, let it be a lesson about how the person who won worked harder and deserved to win. Let kids know that if they don’t put in the work because they prefer their video games they shouldn’t expect to be rewarded like champions.

Let there be a story where the team loses, and instead of the coach saying how proud they were and they tried their best, let the coaches say they lost because one or several people slacked all week at practice. Let them know the lessons of letting your team down. Let them know if you don’t do your best expect to be kicked off the team.

How about a story that instead of focusing on someone who isn’t as naturally talented as someone doing their best, make it about the gifted one getting by on just their natural talent instead of teaching them natural talent will only get them so far. Lots of people have talent. The true champions don’t just rely on talent. They rely on the focus and hard work they put into their talent to not just make them successful, but again I say champions. What they need to do to be the best.

It just seems there are a lot of people who are sick of losing competitiveness and would eat up shows like this.

I’m not a parent so I could be talking out my azz, but this is just how it seems to me on the outside looking in.

2. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

[​IMG]

Who, Donal and acstorfer like this.
  3. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I love those guys. It was a rare show that was loved and shared by old and young.

Crotch likes this.
  4. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

These days, it seems parents already put enough pressure on their kids to succeed. For that matter, the amount of pressure is pretty crazy without adding childrens' television programming into the mix. IMO, kids need some more time to just be kids - let them explore the world with their friends, let them screw up on their own and learn from their own mistakes, and just plain let them discover who they are for at least a little time each day in between Kumon, sports, music lessons and every other damned thing that seems to eat up their young lives.

aslatie, Guitarhack, rxbandit and 4 others like this.
  5. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

Agreed. Kids do need to learn about hard word, reward, achievement. But this should start at home and only be reinforced at school. Educators seem to think the accomplishments of high achievers are the result of some unfair "privilege", be it social, physical, or intellectual. It diminishes the accomplishments of hard working individuals.

Scooter2112, DavGrape, Rich and 2 others like this.
  6. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

In 2017, we are now officially in the twilight zone. It's a South Park episode called "reality". Even though most people with common sense would likely agree with what you said, these days it is considered a racist, bigoted, prejudice micro aggression. If you said the exact thing you wrote at Harvard or Berkeley, or really just any average university these days, you would be protested and branded a hate monger.

KSG_Standard and acstorfer like this.
  7. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

Sports and ironically enough video games can instill competitiveness and hard work. Football and then mainly soccer for me taught me how to play on a team and it also taught me how to handle a loss and the joy of victory. Video games can also teach these same principals, many video games force you to play as a team and to also communicate with others. There are also games like Scrabble that you can play on your cellphone that can get the competitive juices flowing while expanding your vernacular and unlike sports, it's all about what's between your ears which in the end matters more in life.

acstorfer likes this.
  8. Death Incarnate

Death Incarnate Premium V.I.P. Premium Member V.I.P. Member

We don’t need cartoons helping more cutt throat attitudes. I think 12 to 16 years of non-stop brainwashing indoctrination through the education system is enough.

I feel the bigger problem is two things. The education system is only concerned with memorizing facts, instead of how to turn knowledge into wisdom. There is also no education on any value system or the significance of culture and society as a distraction from death. There should be at least a semester in high school, where they make the big reveal.

SteveGangi, Rich and acstorfer like this.
  9. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

The people at Harvard and Berkeley may publicy disagree, but seeing how they busted their asses to get into schools that are so insanely competitive to get into, privately they will want their kids to work as hard as they did.

I do want to say something about my experience with universities though. I started my bachelors degree in 1986 and finished in 2010. I dropped out, switched schools, and switched majors a lot! Anyway my point being I got to experience many schools and many professors. None of the schools I attended were not even close to the extreme examples that are given of students and professors. I finished at the University of Akron. The students were far more conservative than me, and me being a proud veteran, well you wouldn’t expect that. The professors were more liberal, but no matter what they always respected a thought out argument that disagreed with them. Considering one of my majors was political science not many people would expect that. In fact as an example one of the most respected and liked professor is gay. There were students who debated with him on how they disagree with gay marriage. In class he never held anyone’s opinions against them. Even Kent State who actually has an excuse to be radicalized isn’t.

Ironically the only professor I ever had who was hardcore political (kicked out of class or failed because you disagree with him) was at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. I was a chemistry major and this professor taught chemistry. He was fired.

My point is it’s not most universities.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    SteveGangi and Rich like this.
  10. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I punish my kids for losing (or anything I don’t like) by making their parents take a nap.
    Old cartoons were kickass.

acstorfer likes this.
  11. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Something happened recently that is what you said in a nutshell. I’m actually really pissed off about it. It was the inspiration of this thread.

12. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I love me them old cartoons. I totally believe everyone needs something that they do just simply for enjoyment. I blame Scrappy Doo for the downfall of great Saturday morning toons!

13. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

its the parents job to teach them that. if anyone relies on cartoons to teach their kids how to be successful they should really be punched in the mouth. then again that is probably 95% of the u.s. population

Bobby Mahogany, Rich and acstorfer like this.
  14. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

15. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Every time I hear someone say how awesome and respectful kids were back in the day, and how horrible kids are today I always think of that movie and just laugh my ass off.

SteveGangi and Tone deaf like this.
  16. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

True. But the media’s influence on people in general is hard to deny. On kids, it’s even more so. It’s parents’ jobs to counter it, in many cases.
    I want my kids to be able to handle losing, but to always regard it as Patton would have. It’s not something I ever really learned. Losing to me is so distasteful that I won’t even play board games. If I really tried my best and still got beat, it was damn near a physical fight that ensued.
    I hate losing more than anything on this earth, and it’s been crippling, in some areas of my life. There are a lot of things I never tried, for fear of losing.
    There’s a healthy balance to be found, I know it. I don’t know if I’m the one qualified to teach it, but I obligated myself to try, the moment I agreed to have kids.

17. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

Failing or losing "should" inspire winning. It's a part of life. Do not run from it. Learn from it.

acstorfer and SteveGangi like this.
  18. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Yes. let them be kids. Sh!t is way too competitive now, even when there is no reason for it.

Ask me how I know... I grew up on the receiving end of

try harder
    do more
    do better
    why can't you ace it all the time

even when the sh!t didn't matter.

acstorfer and Rich like this.
  19. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Well.

I'm a parent of (so far) successful college kids and I can tell you there is a ton of competitive pressure on kids growing up - on the field, in school, between each other, and from dragon/helicopter parents.

Cartoons and TV shows actually have very little influence on kids motivation.

IMO of course...

[​IMG]

acstorfer and Harmony like this.
  20. Sloppy Joe

Sloppy Joe Senior Member

Whatever happened to Saturday morning cartoons?