WCR Pups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by bartsibrel, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bartsibrel

bartsibrel Junior Member

I have a new '57 Gibson LP Goldtop VOS w/ BB 1 & 2 pups. They are not bad, but I heard the WCR Crossroads pups. The Crossroads pups sound awesome! Beautiful!

Does anybody have familiarity w/ WCR pups? I play a lot of classic rock, blues and Jazz. The Crossroads sound really good for jazz also.

Any suggestions???

I had almost purchased the '56 Gibson LP VOS w/ the P-90's. But, I just love that fat ballsy humbucker sound. :)

2. buckwild

buckwild Premium Member

darkburst neck/Godwood bridge is the way to go in my opinion

swampblues likes this.
  3. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

i have a CR neck and DB bridge in my R8.

jpftribe and SFK like this.
  4. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Senior Member

Crossroads are nice. Low output and pretty clean sounding. They reminded me of Duncan Antiquities. My favorite is the Darkburst.

VictorB likes this.
  5. Todd68

Todd68 Senior Member

I had a set of Darkburst, and they were fantastic.

6. SFK

SFK V.I.P. Member

Same here but in an R7.

Great combo. Very versatile.

7. JenisonShorty

JenisonShorty Member

The WCR pickups are amazing. I have a set of Darkbursts and they sound great in every guitar I put them in.

VictorB likes this.
  8. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Senior Member

Welcome Ryan!

9. stephenwz968

stephenwz968 Senior Member

Have a set in my G0, a WCR Godwood in the bridge and a WCR Darkburst in the neck...they are awesome pups!

10. JenisonShorty

JenisonShorty Member

Thanks bud. Can't wait 'til I have a new guitar to install those pickups in.

11. SkyslideMG

SkyslideMG Senior Member

I have the WCR Fillmore set in a '61 RI SG and they smoke. Insane tones through a Marshall style amp. They are very hot though, and wound with 43 awg wire I believe so the specs can't really compare to other pups but they really are smoking. I wouldn't recommend them for everything but using the bridge for leads and slide like the Allman Brothers or riffs like Free will make you grin no doubt. I'm sure you actually could do whatever you want with them.

12. Dino Velvet

Dino Velvet Senior Member

I have a set that has been sitting in my parts box for ages. I don't have a meter so I have no idea which ones they are.
    [​IMG]

13. Dino Velvet

Dino Velvet Senior Member

I keep thinking I will put them in something...but I never get around to it.
    [​IMG]

14. sj250

sj250 Senior Member

After going through the BB Pro's, Wolfetone Dr. V's, Dubble-U-B Reverends and Sheptone Javelina's, I now have a WCR Godwood bridge and Crossroads neck and it is amazing. Think of Warren Haynes creamy overdriven sound in Gov't Mule. I love these things!!

swampblues likes this.
  15. richedie

richedie Senior Member

The Godwood will do hard rock as well so they are really versatile from Lesd Zep to Pearl Jam to Tool.

A pickup that sounds and feels almost identical is the Guitar Force Rebel Fire. Might want to give it a try and cheaper.

However, the guitar itself, the amp and speakers will have a much larger impact on tone. The pickups are like seasoning. :)
    I used to swap pickups like crazy years ago but got to a point where I realized the difference was so small that I now tend to keep most of my guitars stock and don;t worry about it. I just make sure I find a guitar that sounds good off the shelf and leave it. The audience certainly doesn't care.

Mr.Paul likes this.
  16. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

SJ, you really should start a thread and share your experience with the above pickups. Too many guys start on the BB Pros (since they come stock with USA Gibsons) and look into the ones you're mentioning (with the exception of the W B of course). If you got the time, it would certainly be much appreciated. :cool:

17. Mr.Paul

Mr.Paul Senior Member

+1

18. Anolin

Anolin Member

I have a Godwood set that just smokes everything Ive heard when it comes to handmade pups. Very highly recommended!

19. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

WCR are fine PUs...if I want to play jazz I would probably grab my PRS swamp ash with Lollars before my LP with darkburst/goodwood combo, but that is just me....my Lollars seem very musical balanced with a solid bass range and an airy high end that has prescence....wheras my WCRs have a nice smooth midrange hump that likes to hit my jcm45 in such a beautiful way.....WCRs are great PUs you can not go wrong.....

VictorB likes this.
  20. bluemoon

bluemoon Senior Member

I have a darkburst/godwood set in my LP. I love them.