WCR Pickups [merged]

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by WCR, Apr 7, 2007.

1. gimme789

gimme789 Junior Member

2. enes

enes Member

i'm wondering the sound of those pickups with more gain, (like tsl100 lead channel)

3. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

I use a Marshall DSL50 and run on the red channel with gain pretty high 98% of the time. WCR pickups rock and like most good pickups they work great clean to lots of drive. Some may be better suited for certain styles and gain levels. Is there a particular model you are interested in?

4. Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I just happened to stumble on this thread. Flik invited all the pickup winders who are here when the forum first started, in fact probably some of the very first posts ever put on this forum were from winders who came over from the Music Electronics Pickup makers forum to support its launch. When I first posted there were almost no threads at all. None of us are "new" winders, I've been at it for almost 8 years and doing this full time now.

If you're talking PAF's find the thread on the Vintage Lab set I sell, they are authentically constructed with parts I make myself copied from the real alloys and specs of real PAFs, not metric Asian stuff with wacko alloys that most use.

As for the Peter Green deal, you HAVE to flip the neck pickup around or you won't get the full deal. The reason is that the slug side is usually hotter and is the brighter of the two coils, when its oriented towards the bridge it changes the tone and it gains in articulation. I spent a year studying the Green guitar and everything that was recorded with it and also make a dead accurate copy of those. The funny thing is though, take this with a grain of salt, I have a customer who knows Peter, and Peter told him he never recorded with that guitar! It does have a great tone though, if you can get a copy of Blues For Greeny video with Gary Moore, its a chance to crawl inside that guitar for awhile, video is out of print but available now and then on Ebay...

5. enes

enes Member

i'm using seymour duncan jb on bridge right now but i'm not happy with it, it's trebly and thin, i want more thicker pickup, i want more bass and mid and less treble, i have found rio grande bbq very good for now, i'm still seaching pickups, maybe i can try wcr fillmore(because of output level). :hmm: :D

6. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

Do not let those Fillmores fool you. There is a wealth of information on this forum concerning pickup DC resistance values and how it is not necessarily a true, direct indication of the 'output' of a pickup. I am assuming you are looking at the values of the Fillmores thinking they are 'hot' and will hit the front of your amp and drive it into more distortion. This simply is not the case with the Fillmores and I experimented with them first hand....recently sold them to a forum member. Don't get me wrong, they are nice pickups but they are not the kind of pups that have a high voltage output that boosts your preamp.
    Its hard not to recommend the WCR Godwoods for what I believe you are after. The Godwood bridge is probably the most popular of the WCRs and for good reason...they are extremely versatile and have an output a bit higher than traditional PAFs but are not over the top. Very thick and punchy with sweet highs. Fairly aggressive sounding pickup so you can really rock with them and they sound great clean too. Very alive!

7. enes

enes Member

thx for the answer, accually i was thinking about that, i thought they're blues pickups (fillmores) when i heard them, then i have looked their dc resistance and say "maybe.." =)))

goodwoods are nice but goodwoods have to be pretty low output pickups, or i really don't understand dc resistance thing? :hmm:

8. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

I wouldn't call the Godwoods low output at all...more of a medium output. I believe the really hot WCRs are the Icebuckers or something like that.
    I personally prefer medium output as it does drive the amp some, but don't take over the tone. The ones I have tried compared to really hot pups have been more dynamic and versatile. Your best bet if you are going to buy something made from one of the boutique winders is to contact them and verify the output is going to be what you want.

Check out this recent thread....tons of great info
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/57133-newbie-question-definition-hot-pickup.html

9. Fixxxer

Fixxxer V.I.P. Member

Icebuckers are the same / similar resistance as the GW. The GW are perfect for everything.

10. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

This is what Jim Wagner from WCR has to say on the subject:

11. Fixxxer

Fixxxer V.I.P. Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VVuMIB2hC0]YouTube - FLO Rida feat. T.Pain Music from the Movie Step Up 2 'Low'[/ame]

12. GYang

GYang Junior Member

Now I have 4 WCR pickups installed in my LPs:

Green-Moore
    Darkburst
    IronMan
    Goodwood

Played for 3+ years and countless comparisons with other guys axes, pickups etc. (I also use BK Mule, Cold Sweat, Miracle Man and Painkiller in my other oaxes) I really swear with WCR pickups as proven solution for both stage and recording.
    With correct pots and good caps in good axe they rule LP sounds.
    I like BK for some more modern take and heavier sounds.
    New Kinman humbuckers are very fine ones, too.

13. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Senior Member

wow, talk about reviving a thread.

but i would have to agree

wcr are some good sounding pickups

darkburst is probably my favorite of his pickups

14. Starrman

Starrman Senior Member

WCR winds some great sounding pickups, and have some great service !!!

1 person likes this.
  15. Surfpup

Surfpup Junior Member

Glad to have found this thread. I need to solve a dead pup problem in a Les Paul and the WCR stuff is looking really good at this point. Thanks for all the info - old and new.

16. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Senior Member

Indeed...I had a Darkburst 'on the shelf' that I had removed from a guitar a while back and I put it up for sale - the next day after sleeping on it I put it in a guitar that has a Crossroads in the neck and took down the ad. It sounds so good and I figured "why get rid of something rare and fantastic only to wind up with something less of both?".

17. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

I have one of the if not the original set of Crossroads built by Jim. They are now in my Traditional and that's where they will stay. Love the tone and versatility.

Attached Files: