WCR Pickups [merged]

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by WCR, Apr 7, 2007.

1. richedie

richedie Senior Member

I think he meant the new one is more aggressive. The new one is like 10K+.

2. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

I recently purchased a set of original version Godwoods. When I got them the leads were a bit too short.
    Contacted Jim and set up a return to have the leads replaced and raw nickel covers installed.
    I also asked him about the difference between MKI and MKII and like others have stated, the MKII current version is a bit hotter and said to be more aggressive. He couldn't rewind my set so he said it would be best to either sell and get the current version....or give a Ceramic8 mag in the bridge a try. So I opted for the Ceramic8 mag. He said it will give it a bit more harmonic content and make them a bit hotter and more aggressive.

The green and ground wires just barely reached the pot case to be grounded, but I did manage to get them installed for a quick test before sending them out. We shall see what the difference the C8 makes...I have the A5 to go back to.

Now...which guitar first :dude:

3. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Congrats man! WCR makes the best PAF repros! He really has all the PAF flavors nailed.

4. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

Yeah I have a set of Fillmores too. They are great sounding pickups! Not what I am looking for with the music we play, but they are great pickups nonetheless. I have friend looking for some better humbuckers that I think is really going to love the Fillmores....hoping to drop them into his axe soon for him to try them out. He does more classic rock and blues type stuff.

5. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

Jim is the man and WCRs rock!

6. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

Jim is good shit. He turned these around fast and shipped 2 day to NY from CA. Even threw in some screws and springs w/out me asking for them....thank you, thank you....I actually needed those.

I just let it rip with my Firewater/Reverend set in my Standard to get a bit of a baseline of how that guitar changes from that set to the Godwoods I am about to put in.

7. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Less than a week shipping.... Now that's customer service! Not to mention the great communication! Jim would never leave you hanging, that's fo sho!

8. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

I am liking these a lot. They have a more natural tone to them and feel more bold than the Firewater. I think the mids are more present and they are not as liquidy as the Firewater....if that makes any sense. So hard to describe this shit.

Believe it or not I still find the Marshallhead to be the grittiest and raunchiest of the bunch, but I think I might prefer these or the Guitarforce Erupter in my Standard. The Marshallhead is a little thinner and brighter which doesn't work for me in the Std.

I want to move the Godwood into my Cherry Traditional...it might jive with that guitar with what I am hearing of the Godwoods EQ.

9. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

:thumb: :fingersx: :cool:

10. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

So I played my Standard with Godwoods last Sat at my gig. These pickups sound really good both driven and clean.
    The one thing I found difficult though was getting good pinch harmonics out of it. I actually think it might be a lot to do with the guitar though. With all the pickups I have had in and out of that guitar recently it seems only the BK Nailbomb and the WB Firewater did ok with pinch harmonics.
    I don't use them a lot and my technique is not the greatest, but I do know how to do it...they fly out of my GT w/Habs.
    Soooo.....I'll be moving these Godwoods into the Cherry Traditional to see if I like them better than the BK Black Dogs I have in there now. If not, I believe they will be a set I will have to let go.
    We do a lot of 80s rock and metal so I do need pups that will let me pop off the harmonics when I need to. Looks like I am down to the Nailbomb or the Firewater for the Standard because of that factor.

11. Fixxxer

Fixxxer V.I.P. Member

I find pinch harmonics easier with some picks than others.

As for the pickups, I get good pinch harmonics from any pickup..

Actually I find the amp and picks (picking technique) have more to do with it.

12. oilpit

oilpit Senior Member

I have a set of BB Pros in a chambered standard and the squeelies REALLY fly out...
    And I have a swiss cheesed standard with WB VHTPs and you have to put a gun the the damn things head to get a good harmonic...

I think a lot has to do with the guitar, because the WBs are hotter than the BBs

13. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

+1

14. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

Ok, so the pinch harmonic thing is definitely the guitar.
    Harder to achieve on my Standard for some reason, regardless of the pickups in it....although some of them help a bit.
    I dropped these Godwoods into my Gold Top tonight and they sounded awesome and the harmonics were popping out with no problem. These are really nice and lively pickups! Very complex and rich tone with some in your face attitude. I am diggin them a lot!

15. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

I have the GW bridge Crossroad neck combo in my Traditional. Love em.

16. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

Yeah, my Gold Top is a Traditional too and they sound awesome in it.

17. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

I have my Guitarforce Erupter back in the bridge of my Standard and tonight I found that lowering the pickup on this guitar is the key. Getting the pinch harmonics a lot easier now. My other 2 LPs seem to like the pickups closer....go figure. I am just happy I found what this guitar wanted.

18. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

That's great mate. Kevins pickups are an excellent price and meant to be very good.

19. James Lugo

James Lugo Junior Member

Godwoods are on every record I've made the past year. Incredible.

20. gimme789

gimme789 Junior Member