Watch This Before You Spend A Quarter Million On That Burst

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by wildhawk1, Jan 17, 2019.

1. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

@eric ernest ....crazy question I know, but do you happen to have any pictures of the wall of the switch tip on off of a real burst? And to your knowledge, does anyone do an accurate repro? I have a buddy that is trying to do up a reissue. Thanks man! Hope you are well!!

eric ernest likes this.
  2. freebyrd 69

@PierM , the video was demonstrating ways to possibly identify a real burst vs. a knock off. It had nothing to do with if a burst is overpriced, why people buy them, or whether or not they would care if they had been duped into buying a fake. Can't see how that relates in any way to the topic of the video. Again, I was just as guilty of derailing the thread as anyone, but his posts were far from on topic. I don't think anyone is trying to tell him what he can/cannot say, it's just where he's saying it. IMO, his POV would be better suited in his own thread in the backstage section. YMMV

eric ernest likes this.
  3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Yeah man, but too much aggressive approach imho. Really to much.

And more important, I don't understand why trying to act as a moderator, when we are not moderators.

Saying other people what they can say, what they shouldn't say, what they can write here or not, should not be our contribution...again, imho (unless totally illegal crap). :)

Funny thing is, this was just a easy peasy post about a nice video...ended in a fight. That's plain dumb.

Subterfuge, geddy and cmcgov like this.
  4. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

Again....what part of this video is germane to "Bursts?"

I don't know who did this....but it's one of the few photos out there. I'll look for a photo of the "hole" side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    freebyrd 69 and Blue Blood like this.
  5. freebyrd 69

Thank you for the picture...very cool!

As for the video, I watched as somewhat of a general guide on real vs what you could potentially see in a knockoff. I know you know your stuff @eric ernest , and you pointed out many inaccuracies. I wouldn’t have known as I’m far from a burst aficionado, I just love them!

eric ernest likes this.
  6. eric ernest

Specifically, what did the video detail that would differentiate a fake "Burst" from a real "Burst?"

I truly believe the only way one can see real Burst content in this video is if they don't know what constitutes Burst "content."

7. freebyrd 69

In the beginning he goes over the headstock, and how a fake might not have the right “cut” (see pic from video). It went on from there.

I watched this, as a lot of people probably do, from a relatively uneducated standpoint vs someone who knows bursts. I watched it and interpreted it as a “I’m going to show you this real burst, and discrepancy’s that could occur on a knock off.” Although it has inaccuracies, I wouldn’t have known until, as you said, someone who really knows burst content, pointed it out. Sort of saying I was watching it from a students perspective, not a teachers.

8. freebyrd 69

9. eric ernest

Slightly asymmetrical Gibson headstock shapes are not a "Burst" exclusive.

rockstar232007, jktxs and freebyrd 69 like this.
  10. yeti

yeti Senior Member

While I can sympathize with the underlined passages I have to disagree with your last statement. Yes, some forum members tend to sometimes go overboard, trying to censor other members and attack them personally, playing mods, etc. but IMHO the actual mods here do a very good job walking that fine line between over-moderating/ stifling discussion and ignoring rule violations.
    That is something I don't take for granted because I've frequented forums in the past where the same could not be said.

11. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

What should I be seeing? Is one of those less symmetrical than the other?

12. freebyrd 69

Correct. Hard to see. He mentions it in the first minute or two of the video.

13. jhs77

jhs77 Senior Member

Great video thanks!

14. GearHo

GearHo Senior Member

Now stop, all of you.

I can clear this up.

If you don't have the money for a real burst, then why do you care if you can spot a fake?

Your not going to be able to buy it if it is real.

With the exception of a few, most of us could never come up with six figures plus to buy an original.

It's not about tone, or feel, or hyde glue, it's about benjamins, and if you don't have the scratch, you don't get the itch.

I just read 11 pages of makeover improvements in another thread, that apparently increase tonal pleasure, and remedy all the construction flaws that Gibson is guilty of. Then the op plugs into a blues deville, after unearthing these hidden tonal improvements.

It's like wearing a 5000 dollar suit with flip flops.

We are all crazy, all of us.

15. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

OMG you guys! you wear me out! This is the second time in as many weeks where I was on the side of the guy who got ganged up on. You guys gaslight someone's post, then antagonize them until they get mad. I'm over it.

cmcgov, PierM and DarthPaul like this.
  16. Les Paul John

Les Paul John Senior Member

These threads are the type people like Bonamassa who actually own 59 Les Pauls laugh at online.

True story.

Maestro Fuzz and freebyrd 69 like this.
  17. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Senior Member

Or people like me, who just like guitars, own a couple, play in bands ... SO much fun ...

Popcorn, anyone?

18. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Senior Member

A lot of different opinions on the accuracy, and knowledge of the person in the video. To me, almost everything I read, see, or hear on the forums should be taken with a grain of salt. There are experts, real, and self proclaimed, opinions, and rushes to judgement on who is right. Myself, I'm not an expert at all on vintage Les Paul's, I only know what I read on the forums, and in articles, so it's all at least second hand knowledge from people I don't even know, so accuracy is definitely an issue.
    However, I found the video interesting, and entertaining, and educational. It may, or may not be 100% accurate, and I don't really care. The guy did say you have to have a lot of "hands on" experience, and he does work on a lot of vintage Paul's, so I do believe he has some degree of expertise on the subject, but it has led to a lot of different points of view.
    There's nothing wrong with critiquing the vid's accuracy, but the disagreements should not be taken personally. On a different subject, I happen to like Emerald city guitars, seeing that Seattle is only a 20 minute drive from where I live, they have a lot of cool gear that I could never afford to buy, but a great place to visit!
    Anyway, who doesn't love a lively discussion on a subject we all love. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    PierM likes this.
  19. SpeedKnob

SpeedKnob Senior Member

I just checked my 2014 Traditional and the braided wire has two strands. Gibson must have found some spools of old braided wire from the 1950s, which is nice.

LPPILOT likes this.
  20. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Having a two strands braided wire doesn't mean it's vintage, at all. It's just one of the multiple cues you can use to ID a pickup, but if you take those alone, they means nothing.

Your guitar has 59 Reissue humbuckers, that like 57 classics, they use a two strands braided cable, just to mimic originals. Isn't really a spool of wire from 1950, it's just a reissue. :)

DarthPaul and jktxs like this.