Watch This Before You Spend A Quarter Million On That Burst

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by wildhawk1, Jan 17, 2019.

1. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I for one am very happy to have Eric around in the Vintage Forum, sharing his knowledge. :thumbs:

Cheers, Rudi

LSAR, DrSte31n, freebyrd 69 and 11 others like this.
  2. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

Honestly, I would share more, but I know someone's gonna be up my ass. It's not so much posting the content as it is dealing with the fallout from people not paying attention, not properly reading posts, and just general uninformed mayhem.

That is a time sucker...

3. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Senior Member

Well, I usually spend most of my time in other sub-forums. But I occasionally drop by . . . learn something about vintage Gibsons . . . get entertained by the drama and leave.

Just sayin'.

Peace

Rex

4. Oldskoolrob

Oldskoolrob Senior Member

I was watching the video (and ensuing debate) out of interest. I'll never have that coin to drop on a guitar. I'm truly amazed that people do, and I wonder how much more mojo you get for your dollar. At the end of the day (I don't mean to be rude in this forum) that is the extra you're paying for -isn't it? I can't imagine that they sound or play better than a new top-of-the-line/custom shop/boutique?? I must be wrong, I just can't see how.

mudface likes this.
  5. treatb

treatb Senior Member

wildwood is selling a 59 fretless wonder, 3 pickup with bigsby. my dream guitar... but they advertise it as all original. but you can see that every solder joint has been reworked...don't trust marketing talk, they will use all sorts of twisted phrases to get their money.

flats750 and LPPILOT like this.
  6. randrewrussell

randrewrussell Junior Member

I thought this video was excellent as a way to get a general overview of the authentication of
    a Gibson 50's era, or Gibson "Burst" guitar. Obviously, there is more to the process then just
    this quick review but it was an interesting video.

Guitar Rod and PierM like this.
  7. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Senior Member

If I've ever got a quarter mill. to spend on a 'burst, I DEFINITELY WON'T BE CONSULTING FUCKING YOUTUBE for advice.. how stupid do you need to be???
    In the event, I WILL be budgeting in a few grand for the expert consultation of somebody like Phil Harris to inspect the instrument on my behalf.

DADGAD, mudface, geddy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Victory Pete

Victory Pete Member

I just bought a 2018 R0, I was happy to see it has hide glue. I still am happy because even if it isn't the original formaldehyde stuff, it isn't Titebond.

PierM likes this.
  9. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Oh yeah, I also love all my "all hide glue" Gibson, but not because of hide glue, but because they are great guitars. I couldn't tell the difference between titebond and hide glue, so I don't care. :)

Was just pointing another marketing tag, used by the Custom Shop, that doesn't match real vintage specs. But yeah, I don't really care.

10. John Farr

John Farr Junior Member

I get the impression that the guy is trying to letting us know that He has the knowledge to authenticate Vintage Les Pauls and that He's touting for custom in this line of work without giving it "ALL"away. Whether or not He actually has the experience and ability to evaluate and authenticate is another question.

11. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

Now that's funny.

yeti and RevWillie like this.
  12. JJ Blair

JJ Blair Senior Member

I wish they didn't, but they do. Not each and every one, but in general, there's no comparison. Doug and Pat videos don't do it justice. As long as I have a vintage pickup, I've been able to match tones on '50s Teles with new builds. Haven't matched yet on Strats, but maybe with a vintage harness, I could. Dunno. But with Les Pauls, I've done the Custom Shop with real PAFs, I've done historic makeover with real PAFs, I've done the custom old wood, correct build with all '59 parts and vintage fretboard, and while they are all really good guitars, none of them do that thing my Burst does.

It's very inconvenient, but it's a fact. That thing comes alive in a way nothing else does.

13. swankmotee

swankmotee Senior Member

Sorry but way too much camera time spent on watching pretty boy in apron flail his arms around!‍♂️ Would’ve been a lot more educational if they spent more time viewing the guitar when he was pointing out things. The guitar should be the star not the narrator IMHO.

14. Tinpan

Tinpan Member

A ton of great information.....not that I will ever have $250K + to spend on a Les Paul!

PierM likes this.
  15. PierM

PierM Premium Member

What's wrong with this world; people can't even handle to watch a video without wearing the "I'd do better" hat. Jeeeez.... do your own video and show the world how good you are LOL!

Guitar Rod, fretboarder, DLRG and 2 others like this.
  16. zamdrang

zamdrang Member

Whew glad I saw this... just in the nick of time too.

Geronimo likes this.
  17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Burst ,smurst...Customs FTW

1981 LPC and Oldskoolrob like this.
  18. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I agree, D&P videos tend to do justice only to that AC 10, great for the lesser guitars, not so good for the finer details.
    Which begs the question: Which ones do?

19. Oldskoolrob

Oldskoolrob Senior Member

I'm definitely glad it does then. You'd be dissapointed otherwise I guess.

20. cmcgov

cmcgov Senior Member

Vintage circles.