Washburn WP-50 - Korea vs Japanese + switch?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by kingflupps, Jul 12, 2017.

1. kingflupps

kingflupps Junior Member

Hey guys, I have a cherryburst Washburn WP50 and am about to buy a tobacco burst one from a friend. I love these guitars but both mine and the one i'm going to buy have the switch down by the volume/tone knobs.

It is my understanding that the original WP50's had the standard placement when they were made in Japan - then Gibson threatened action so Washburn moved the switch and the production to Korea. Does anyone know if the Korean ones with the moved switch are as good as the Japanese ones? Info is limited on these. Also how big of a job is it to move the switches up to the standard LP position?

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

They were never Japanese. Only the WP-90 was made in Japan (look at one back to back with a WP-50 or 80 and it's clear). Washburn moved standard production to Korea around 1986.

I would say I am 85% sure they were made by Samick.

Do know this before making a purchase. It bothers me how many sellers present them as Japanese based purely on rumor and overcharge accordingly.

3. kingflupps

kingflupps Junior Member

Cheers for the reply, soz I've been on holiday. So as far as you know there is no difference between the original ones with the classic switch position and the ones with the switch down by the knobs? I mean across wp50's not different models in the WP range. Thanks again.

4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

Yeah, other than the cosmetic differences, not much; for the 1990 redesign the WP-80 went from a Rosewood fingerboard to an "Ebonized fingerboard". That's it, according to the catalog specs, anyway. There could be little things like switching from Alder to Nato or going from Maple veneer to Maple cap and veneer, but nothing really important. That's not to say they aren't great guitars in their own right; they are virtually identical to the early Epiphones with the open book headstock that are now very well regarded. I found some catalog scans and finally put together a page on the wiki for them:

http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/WP

[​IMG]