Want to learn Bass

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Codeseven, May 15, 2017.

1. paradice

paradice Senior Member

I like it Darrell....Im fairly confident with sustained/spaced out notes but hardly tried any walking yet, sound good!

hitting the strings between notes is something I do naturally (albeit maybe not perfect timing!) and was causing a lot of the 'slap bass' sounds I was on about last week, nowhere near as bad on the new Yamaha guitar tho, think the electrics were causing some of it on the 5 string

DarrellV likes this.
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Thank you! I was a little nervous about sharing that one as you can see why, LOL!!

But it got the point across, so that's good.

You are correct in that a poorly made or set up bass will clatter more than it should and make it harder to control and get the sounds you actually want!

Took me years before i got the hang of walking and now i love it! It just sounds so cool in the right places!

You just need to stretch those fingers a little wider and play on the 1-3-5 pattern instead of 1-4-5 to get the effect!

Keep at it, you'll get it.

Every song I started playing to was slower, but with a deep groove. There is no rush, the speed will come as you get more familiar with the feel and control of the bass.

that can only come from playing it wrong long enough to overcome the deficiencies and teach your hands what's needed to play it RIGHT!

Practice and patience are the key. There is no shortcut to building muscle memory.

3. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Speaking of deep groove, try this one!