Want to buy Epiphone Ace Frehley BlueBurst

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by JimmyAce2006, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Rap Man127

Rap Man127 Member

Hi
    I am the father of Sam (I'll use his real name instead of the more colourful Rapman name he has been using)
    Unfortunately, Sam, who has just turned 16, is very naive and has just paid the price, he purchased this guitar from ebay as you would all know, trusting the seller 100% following a string of emails and and least one call to the guy in the USA.
    This was conducted without my knowledge until it was too late, unfortunately for him, it cost him all his savings and the money he received for his birthday, a hard lesson for him no doubt.
    Thanks to all who "enlightened" him, he has been given a kick up the backside for this whole episode and I guess it was a very good life lesson.
    To top things off, the guy quoted Sam US$125 postage to OZ, once he posted the guitar, he emailed Sam, told him it was on the way but he had made a mistake with the postage and it actually cost US$400 + to send,when Sam read this, he felt so bad for the guy that he came in to me and his mum and said he should send the guy some more money so he wasn't out of pocket (thank god I was home this time)
    Kids !! what can you do?
    Thanks again guys, appreciate the fact that you didn't ridicule him too much
    Cheers
    Lee

2. Skynyrdpicker

Skynyrdpicker Senior Member

Very unfortunate! Tell him to play it anyway :)

3. AceRobot

AceRobot Senior Member

Lee, all is not lost. As a few of us mentioned in previous posts, the guitar has got genuine chrome DiMarzio pickups. They are probably worth AUD$500 alone. I know the guy who built this guitar (I have bought a few guitars off him in the past). He did a good job on the guitar, but unfortunately it's not a genuine Gibson. The reality is, if Sam wanted to recover his money, many KISS fans would probably pay around $1,000 for it.

I have a pretty big Ace Frehley guitar collection. If you want to discuss anything, please get in touch and I'll try and answer your questions as best I can. I'm in Sydney :)

4. Rap Man127

Rap Man127 Member

Thanks mate, needless to say Sam is gutted, he has been saving for a very long time with buying a Gibson his main goal for a long time, he will use it anyway and as a KISS fanatic it will still have a value for him.
    Appreciate your comments, once he has saved again, we will definately speak to the right people (this website) before parting with any more money.
    Cheers

Lee

5. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

It's not a bad starter guitar, and not a bad deal for an Ace. If you see how much more a real Gibson like that would cost, and the fact that the original owner said it's a good player, I think he did okay. I'll bet he could sell for more in OZ. Just make sure he tells the next buyer it is a replica!

6. AceRobot

AceRobot Senior Member

Lee, put it this way. An Ace Frehley Epiphone (cherry one) sells for around AUD$1500 in Australia. The blueburst Ace Epiphone, which is a rare limited edition Japanese model, can sell for a whole lot more (probably closer to AUD$5,000).

Sam pretty much bought himself an Epiphone (which is effectively what the fake Gibsons are). He's got a fantastic set of pickups in it, along with a few other cool upgrades, so it's not too bad a deal at the end of the day. Yes it sux that it's not a Gibson, but he's still got a very cool Ace Frehley VH1 guitar. And Jimmy's right, you probably could sell it for a bit more in Oz. For your info, this is the blueburst Epiphone...

[​IMG]

7. JimmyAce2006

I wonder what that guitar would look like with the chrome pups & rings and clear PRS knobs, no switch ring, chrome switch tip, chrome jack plate, and kidney bean tuner buttons!

8. AceRobot

AceRobot Senior Member

I am actually thinking about finding out :hmm:

9. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Do you have a serial number? That doesn't look like a Japanese Epiphone.

10. JimmyAce2006

It's an Epi. Even has a volute!

11. -=[Shifty]=-

I just said it doesn't look like it's MIJ. MIJs have a different headstock shape, 2 screw TRC, small post ABR bridge, and so on.
    With volute, you mean like on Norlins? Never seen that on an Epi. :hmm:

12. JimmyAce2006

yep, like a Norlin. i have seen it on a bunch of Epi's. i don't know where they make Epi's. i thought it was China.

13. -=[Shifty]=-

I've yet to see a volute on an Epiphone.
    Yes, current Epiphones are mostly made in China. There are still one Korean and one Indonesian factory making them, though.
    Maybe AceRobot meant that it's a Limited Edition for the Japanese market. It's definitely not made in Japan, though.

14. JimmyAce2006

yes, those were made for the Japanese market. I think the cherry Ace Epi's also have volutes. maybe AceRobot will post a pic of the volute on his guitar.

here you go, this one has a couple of pics of the volute:

Ace Frehley Kiss Gibson Epiphone Les Paul - eBay (item 130353113599 end time Dec-19-09 05:14:35 PST)

15. -=[Shifty]=-

Nice. I've really never seen that on any other Epiphone model. It must be something they only did on the Ace models.
    Great, always something new to learn! :thumb:

16. AceRobot

AceRobot Senior Member

Sorry, it was made in Korea as a limited edition for the Japanese market.

17. -=[Shifty]=-

Yeah, I misread your post. But hey, if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have learned some interesting facts from JimmyAce, about the Ace models. :thumb: