Want double-cream humbuckers? SPEAK UP NOW!

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by WolfeMacleod, Mar 7, 2017.

1. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

it appears as if an issue that SDUGF had with the thread was that someone opened an account for that sole purpose, which equates it to a spam tactic on many/most forums. there could have been ways to have approached it in a way that would have not apparently violated SDUGF guidelines.

2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

If you view consumer advocacy as spam.

3. frankfalbo

frankfalbo Senior Member

Right. So for the sake of discussion remove spam from the equation. It probably still violates the "no competitor bashing" rule, by the virtue of the entire thing being built on the premise that Dimarzio has done something wrong/unethical or been awarded something they didn't deserve. I'm not weighing in on the merit of that either way, I'm just saying why I think it's in violation.

Either way what's done is done. In the words of Michael Corleone, "You're out, Tom."

4. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

and within a day of thanaton getting banned. think of the odds.

5. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, a company has a right to defend its trademarks. At the time DiMarzio trademarked the double cream, it wasn't really a big deal.

On the other hand, consumers should be free to buy the pickups they want in the original colors. A manufacturer holding a trademark on a configuration based on color doesn't make a lot of sense.

But it is what it is. I respect the right of DiMarzio to defend its legally obtained trademark despite whether I think it's fair.

Fairness is not always in the eye of the beholder. :/

6. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

A company has an obligation to defend its trademarks.

7. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I don't think a lot of people have a problem with DiMarzio defending a trademark, it's just most people hope they lose. :D

8. Who

I remember a thread started by a VERY respected member of this forum. He had some unkind words about Gibson's business practices. He backed his opinions up with reasonable evidence.

Things got a little heated.

Then, some new guy with only a post or two came and stirred things up. Thread got locked.

The "new guy" was Henry J. Yes, THE Henry J.

9. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I did file the petition, yes.

I wouldn't say a company is obliged to defend their trademarks; there might be instances where it's cheaper to just let the trademark go if it costs more to defend than it's worth. Whether or not that's the case here is anyone guess, but let's suppose this trademark is a lucrative instrument in itself, in my mind, that just goes to show how morally dubious it is.

If you support the idea of the free market, is abusing the mechanisms that are there to defend the free market fair game, or are you undermining the very system that permits your company's existence in the first place?

10. Who

I'm rooting for you on this one.

If for no other reason than I once bought a DiMarzio pickup to match the DiMarzio pickup I had.... AND THE COLORS DIDN'T MATCH!!!!

I had no recourse to go to a vendor to get something wound in a color I wanted. It was "their shade or the highway". I even WANTED the DiMarzio. Grrrrrr.... Still makes me mad, even though I sold that guitar.

11. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

DiMarzio's 36th Anniv. and PAF Master appear to have a shade of cream that matches Les Paul mounting rigs, but their Super Distortion and most other models have a darker cream color and a matte finish that doesn't match the mounting rings. If you want color match, you not only have to buy a DiMarzio, but you have to buy one of a few particular models. All the while, there are countless boutiques out there who would happily expand this choice into the hundreds, if they were legally allowed to. It's kind of like pickup communism, great government gives you two choices, you make choice! You are happy! All this business with ordering double cream under a lightly soldered cover, or cobbling a double cream out of zebras is like smuggling contraband across the border, or running your own illicit double cream operation.

12. Who

Yep. I wanted a 36th to go with a Super D.

13. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

The problem I have with DMZ and the infamous trademark is the way they chose to enforce it, unfairly creating a monopoly on double-cream p'ups.

They could've chosen the way of asking for royalties for every p'up maker for the use of their trademark in their own products, so everybody would benefit, (just as Floyd Rose did with his double-locking vibrato system) but no, they chose the litigious way, by having a team of lawyers on retainer just to send out the infamous "cease & desist" letters, making it about being "my way or the highway" and bullying all the small "boutique" winders to desist, as they simply can't afford to go to court.

Can you imagine if Floyd Rose had chosen to act like DMZ how the market could've turned to be today? ;)

HTH,

14. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I just had a horrific vision of a double-locking-Bigsby! :shock:

15. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Just emailed my scans a few minutes ago. :thumb:

16. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Yes, 100,000% agreed. At the very least DiMarzio should just grant a license to the other manufacturers.

I could see the potential windfall........:hmm:

17. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

James, thank you for the horrifying image. I needed that just like I needed a colonoscopy... :(

18. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Senior Member

That's actually such a non sequitur to me that I can't even form a mental image...

19. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I suspect it must be too expensive. I'd heard Seymour Duncan briefly did this in the 80's, and I think Fender might do it now, as there appears to be non-DiMarzio double cream humbuckers in some of their HSS Strats, unless it's actually "parchment", or something like that .

20. Who

Antiqua, I'm surprised at the blowback this is getting over tat Strat-Talk. I could see being indifferent, being for it, or having a reason to be against it... but some of those guys are piling on without taking any time to understand what this is.

That's why I stay here mostly.

There was a VERY informative and reasoned thread here about this topic a while back:
    www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372014

Wolfe's input there kept things informed. Very well done on his part.