Want double-cream humbuckers? SPEAK UP NOW!

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by WolfeMacleod, Mar 7, 2017.

1. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Everyone known about the trademark that Dimarzio holds on the double-cream humbuckers.

Many people know that Sheptone was sued last year.

Some people know that there is currently a cancellation proceeding filed last year by someone local to me. I hope this link works: http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=92064181&pty=CAN&eno=14

If not, try here: http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?qs=73150505

The person who filed this petition has spent $10,000 to date on attorney fees.

The USPTO has issued a statement that basically says "We want evidence that more people in the community are affected" (Page 5 in the document listed above)

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO SPEAK UP AND BE HEARD.

A document has been prepared by the attorney representing the cancellation proceeding. This document will be collected by the attorney and forwarded to the USPTO as evidence that people in the community are affected, and that it limits the choice of manufacturers.

This document is here:

http://www.echoesofmars.com/Declaration_DiMarzio_Pickups_2017March7_03277903-2.doc Please sign it, and write a short statement on page two explaining that you would like the choice to purchase your favorite brand of pickups in the color you desire so you can make your guitar fit your preferred aesthetics/colors/appearance, etc.

Print the document, sign it, scan it, (or photograph well) and then email it to:

iwantdoublecream@gmail.com

THE DEADLINE IS MARCH 13TH.

This is your chance. If enough signatures and statements are not collected, the USPTO will terminate this cancellation proceeding.

[​IMG]

2. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

This should be cross-posted in the Backstage and Gibson Les Paul forums, and bumped multiple times a day.

This is a pretty short deadline.

Side-note: $10K...... That guy must HATE DiMarzio.

3. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I'd definitely send one in except I doubt a Canadian's viewpoint would mean anything in an American copyright proceeding. Though it does impact people outside of America if they want an American made pickup (and the resulting business for an American business and workers) in that color.

4. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Excellent! Thank you, Wolfe! I'm going to help promote this.

I'll also write and send in a statement, myself. I'm still a consumer and player, after all!

5. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Do it! The United States of America still wants your money and wants you to buy US products! :thumb:

6. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Will do. Couldn't hurt.

7. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

Already got mine mostly filled out from your Facebook post, I'm attacking it from the angle that it mostly hurts American pickup manufacturers, including Dimarzio and the municipalities they reside in because those of us that want double cream are sending our dollars overseas.

8. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

I've shared this all over the place. I really hope it works!

9. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon Premium Member

A administrator on the Seymour Duncan forum put a end to the thread on their forum. Edited the link out of the OP's post and left this as the final post.[​IMG]

10. Who

I'm OK with that response from the SD forum.

SD and DiMarzio hold a mutually beneficial lock on the mass-produced aftermarket pickup world.

There's no reason for SD to be involved in stirring that particular pot.

Also, try joining THIS forum, and day-1, post-1 launch in on an "anti-Gibson-'open-book'-headstock-profile" legal campaign. My guess is, you'd get a very similar response.

Except that before the mods locked the thread, the membership would have already lit their torches and grabbed their pitchforks!

11. Who

That said, I've emailed my declaration page.

12. guycalleddave

guycalleddave Senior Member

sent mine in.

13. deadringer

deadringer Senior Member

Done and done. :cool:

14. reedy

reedy Senior Member

Signed, scanned and delivered! I'm not sure how much impact an opinion from Canada has but you've got it.

15. frankfalbo

frankfalbo Senior Member

Yes but I don't think the motivator is mutual benefit. The Duncan forum has always had a "no bashing competitors" rule on their forum, which has fostered a lot of good will, and encouraged open discussion of all other pickup brands. Many company sponsored forums just become an echo chamber for only that company's wares. As far as I can tell, this post, according to the Duncan forum's rules would qualify as competitor bashing under all the precedents I've seen over the past decade or more over there. Carry on...

16. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

With this trademark, DiMarzio has been bashing consumers for decades. It's unfortunate that Seymour Duncan Co would see this as anit-competitor rather than pro-consumer, not to mention that as the largest pickup maker in the US, this petition hurts no company more than Seymour Duncan.

17. frankfalbo

frankfalbo Senior Member

Does it? Many consumers have voted with their wallets, seemingly boycotting Dimarzio over it. Duncan, meanwhile, doesn't have that baggage, and they get some sympathetic market share from the backlash. You can really argue both sides of that with credibility.

But honestly forget all that, because no I don't think it relates to this situation, I think the Duncan forum has it's own set of rules, and they were broken, including the weird one-off user name. Was that you?

18. Who

Antigua, are you the one who has done the work to get this filed?

If so, thanks for doing it.

19. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

Seymour Duncan's sympathy sales would be proportionate to the number of people that are aware that DiMarzio has a lock on the double cream humbucker market. One thing I'm surprised to find is that so few people know about the trademark, and never thought to question why two cream bobbins are never offered as a color options. The fact of the matter is though, a lack of free market choice is a lack of choice, even if you're unaware of the circumstances that led to that lack of choice.

20. 68Charger

68Charger Senior Member

Just submitted mine...give 'em hell Wolfe! :)