Wampler Tumnus

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by wwit, Jan 29, 2016.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Thank you Kbo. I have them loaded into a 335 clone and they ARE amazing !

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

DO IT! I am not a 490 fan at all, and I guess you can say I love the Ants...and the Seths.

BanditPanda likes this.
  3. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I'll save you the trouble :) It was basically along the lines that they're only good for clubbing someone over the head with and dragging them back to a cave. I think they're far too compressed, have terrible string separation, and lack rich, complex harmonics and overtones. They're the kind of pickup that makes all the guitars sound the same, by overpowering the instrument's individual characteristics and tone.

Shrugs. I don't rate most Gibson pickups that I've tried. I've kept a couple sets of CustomBuckers that I think are exceptional (for what I care about), but that's it. Every other LP I've had has sounded better after replacing the stock Gibson pups.

The Custom has a set of Sigil's Bluesman 57 LTDs now. They're perfect for that particular guitar and what I use it for. My Custom doesn't have quite the same mid-range push as an LP Standard or a Historic Reissue. It benefits a lot from pickups that have a wider frequency range.

Got to say, right now, it's the Custom with the Bluesman 57s that sounds best through the Tumnus as an overdrive. Getting a lovely thick tone from it today.

I think my local store sells them. I might pop down there tomorrow and check it out. If I do, I'll take the Tumnus along and have a play.

If "badly" was a style of music, that'd be what I play :)

Currently working on a project with friends, taking folk and pop songs and producing bluesy-rock arrangements of them. It's kinda got an Americana vibe to it (although we're Brits, so probably sounds nothing like what Americana actually is). We're long on enthusiasm and short on talent :)

How about yourself?

4. BanditPanda

Hi Stuff. Well that would certainly be neat if you took your Tumnus down to the store to play thru the Marshall. Sure like to get your take on that!
    Although I have been playing guitar for a very very long time I am completely unaccomplished! My favourite guitar thing is to play Open G Stones circa '72.
    I've got my 5 string Tele and an SVT pedal and thru the Marshall makes me happy.
    I have another Tele in standard which I run thru High Power Fender Twin pedal which delivers me a raw/wild kind of sound which I really enjoy too!
    With the acquisition of the LP Studio I also got a Marshall Plexi in a box pedal which gets me that classic LP/Marshall sound which I also do enjoy very much. Which brings me to the pick up swap. I'm pretty well set on putting the Antiquities in it now. You mentioned a feature which I had been looking for from anybody who knew...that being string separation.
    To me that is very important and perhaps more so when going thru a Marshall Plexi.
    I had a feeling that the 490's were letting me down in that area.
    Of course it goes without saying that....quote..." rich, complex harmonics and overtones ..." unquote are highly desirable qualities.
    I have a next to non existent repertoire but never the less lean towards old blues/rock standards like I'm Going Down / Them Changes/Born Under A Bad Sign etc., etc.,
    I also appreciate Billy Gibbons tone/playing with ZZ Top.
    Yeah..I'm an oldie but goodie lol.
    I really appreciate your input. It has helped my decision making. Thank you for that.
    Your project sounds quite intriguing and challenging.
    BP

Stuff likes this.
  5. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Tumnus is a great pedal....I go through moods and right now it's not on the board but I DO like it. Sometimes its low end beef is what I want and other times its a bit taxing. It's great for rhythm.

Wampler are great. I'm a fan of Rockett's Silver Archer, which has less of that low end but is a bit thinner overall. For a Klone thing, those are the two I go between. Archer Gold Ikon kinda sits in the middle. For leads, I kinda like the bite of the Archer but for rhythm the Tumnus beefs it up.

BanditPanda and Stuff like this.
  6. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

That low-end beef is why I keep the Klon KTR on my main board, and the Tumnus normally lives on my grab-and-go board. I like how the KTR lifts the guitar in the mix, and (a small) part of how it does that is how it changes the low-frequency response. The Tumnus works well as a boost pedal, I just think the KTR does that job even better.

I'm currently tempted to grab an RYRA Klone pedal, to A/B against both the Klon KTR and the Tumnus. It's Dan and Mick's (from That Pedal Show) favourite Klone at the moment. I'm supposed to be selling pedals this month, not buying them!

7. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I didn't get anywhere near the store yesterday in the end :( I'll try and get down there during the week. Their website says they have the DSL40C in stock atm.

Nice :) Sounds like a good range of tones covered there :)

Let us all know your opinion after the pickup swap, please.

Gibbon's rhythm tone ... whenever folks say 'texas tone', that's what I have in mind, not SRV's tone.

Thank me if you're happier after changing out those pups :) It's just advice from one person, after all.

I've had a lot of help and support from folks on here since joining. It's nice to be able to pay some of that back.

Thanks. We're having a lot of fun with it, which is all we care about :)

BanditPanda likes this.
  8. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Senior Member

I have so many great ODs already Arc Effects Klone, Timmy, OCD, etc that I have hesitated on this but, I do admit from demos I've heard this is one of those "keepers" once I do pull the trigger. My instincts tell me I will eventually. I only have one Wampler pedal, the Velvet Fuzz which is an outstanding Fuzz/OD pedal.

Stuff and BanditPanda like this.
  9. BanditPanda

Thanks for your input Gibby. In fact took the Tumnus off the board last night. Replaced it with the TC Mojomojo which didn't do it for me. I'm hearing a bit too much fizz for my liking.
    I'm gonna start from scratch and retry my Boss BD, Barber LTD and TS909 which I haven't yet tried with the LP + 490's. As member Stuff has suggested my biggest source of dissatisfaction maybe the 490's which basically after all are the source of the sound.
    BP

10. BanditPanda

Yes the YT demos sold me on the Wampler. It was simply the best OD I had heard from that source.
    BP

11. BanditPanda

Brought the LP to my tech today and making the swap from 490's to SD Antiquities !!
    Will soon learn if they will have a positive effect on the Tumnus.
    Somehow I'm thinking they won't make difference as for as that pedal goes.

12. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I managed to get over there this morning. Tried the Tumnus through the new Fender Mustang GT 200, and a Marshall DSL 40C.

I need to sell some gear to fund a DSL ...

The Tumnus didn't sound dark at all through the DSL40C. I had to dial down the tone control a little on the Tumnus to stop it sounding too spiky. The tone had a lot of punch, and I could have happily noodled on that for hours.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the Antiquities.

BanditPanda likes this.
  13. BanditPanda

Good to hear! Thanks. Aha !!! So you got off on the DSL40?
    i'll be sure to post about the Antiquities.
    BP

14. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

The DSL40 surprised me. I wasn't expecting it to sound that good.

BanditPanda likes this.
  15. BanditPanda

The DSL40C is Marshall's best selling amp and for many good reasons.

Stuff likes this.
  16. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I'd probably get the DSL100H. But then I'd also need a load box of some kind. I don't mic up cabs, I use impulse responses in my DAW instead.

17. BanditPanda

An update if any interest.
    I have purchased a set of SD Pearly Gates. They arrived today.
    I am removing the Antiquities from the LP replacing with the PG's
    I decided that the Ants sounded magnificent in the semi hollow body whereas in the LP the guitar didn't let them bloom as they did in the semi.
    I am very hopeful that the PG's will give the LP exactly what it and I want.
    I got the Zebras.
    Don't know we got this topic into a Wampler Thread but there ya go.
    BP

18. Mark V Guitars

Mark V Guitars バナナフライング... MLP Vendor

You guys are all bastards. I just bought the Dude pedal. Now I have to have the Tumnus. Ridiculous. :drool:

Totally drooling over the tones I'm hearing from this little bad boy.