Wampler Tumnus

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by wwit, Jan 29, 2016.

1. wwit

wwit Senior Member

I ordered the Tumnus during the Xmas holiday when Sweetwater was running a 20% Wampler discount...very rare indeed. But got put on B/O and finally arrived yesterday. And worth the wait. Great OD. I would say the best OD I have ever played. I only had an hour to play a couple different guitars with it but it has a 'Wow' factor that I have never gotten from any other pedal before.

[​IMG]

MUSTANGCAT, GySgtFTL, tzd and 2 others like this.
  2. rapaul76

rapaul76 Senior Member

That's next on my list! Enjoy yours!

1 person likes this.
  3. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Some time ago, I bought a Wampler pedal. Before I knew it, I now have 4 Wampler pedals. You can do no wrong with Wampler. HNPD!

Hector Arcadius and wwit like this.
  4. wwit

wwit Senior Member

I'm with ya on that. :thumb:

Plexi-Drive Deluxe
    '57 Tweed
    30 Something
    Ego Comp

And now the Tumnus. Velvet Fuzz is next on the list.

Wampler is expensive. But they just plain work. Where most name brand pedals have a certain sweet spot that never moves once you find it, the Wamplers all have a fair amount of usable range.

2 people like this.
  5. Kuskas Nor Fyn

Kuskas Nor Fyn Senior Member

I am just getting on the Wampler band wagon. Christmas of 2014 I picked up the Latitide Deluxe Trem, Christmas of 2015 I grabbed the Catapulp. The Tumnus is next in line but with a baby on the way it will probably be Christmas of 2016 or beyond before it joins the stable.

1 person likes this.
  6. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

My buddy has the Tumnus and calls it a game changer. He's a bigger pedal junkie than anyone I know.

7. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

I own three Wampler pedals, a Black 65, a Clarksdale, and a Plexi Drive.

I love all three, but the Black 65 is the one I would never part with.

The Tummus has me intersted.

Never heard of this pedal until recently and I have two GC gift cards that I have not spent.

I'll have to check out some videos.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

I initially thought it read Wampler "Tinnitis". I think that would be a good name for a guitar pedal.

1 person likes this.
  9. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I think Tumnus was a fawn in Chronicles of Narnia. I don't know if that's the reference.

10. Kuskas Nor Fyn

Kuskas Nor Fyn Senior Member

I think because it is a Klon Centaur clone of sorts, but with a much smaller footprint, it safe to think you are right.

3 people like this.
  11. j200george

j200george Senior Member

Pretty much all I have apart from an eventide h9 are drive pedals. I really don't need another. I really don't need another. Nope. I really don't.

Plexi drive, velvet fuzz, tweed 57 and black 65. I've also got a simble an ep and an so on board. I'd be mental to put another drive pedal on....

**keeps watching reviews... :-/

MUSTANGCAT and wwit like this.
  12. tzd

tzd Senior Member

That only means you need to get ANOTHER pedal - called a Loop Switcher :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  13. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

Here's a vid of the Tumnus (and other Klones) all on the same pedal board.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnDEadZTV80[/ame]

Since then, the Tumnus seems to have become a permanent fixture on Daniel's board.

I have one; picked it up last year. It's gone on my small practice board, and I've left the Klon KTR on the main board. It's great. I use them both the same way - almost clean, feeding into another OD pedal. It makes every other OD pedal sound better. Use it with very low gain pedals for a lively rock rhythm tone, or as a lead boost to lift you out of the mix a bit.

In general, I've struggled to get great tones out of the Wampler pedals I've owned over the years - they always strike me as voiced for strats first and foremost. The Tumnus is a keeper.

1 person likes this.
  14. wwit

wwit Senior Member

I am really digging the Tumnus. I find its not quite right for every situation IMHO. It just maybe the current settings on my Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. In the Burn and Crunch mode, its a little to over the top. Sounds really good in the Clean, but really shines in the Blues mode. To me the Blues channel is nice, but a little sterile. With the Tumnus pushing the Blues channel its anything but sterile. Its like a brand new amp from heaven. I haven't tried it with my other gear yet.

15. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

ok guys I'm resurrecting a year old thread...I could start another of course but I want to talk Tumnus so here I go. My guitar is the LP Studio which came with stock 490R &T.
    I bought the Tumnus 'cause quite frankly it was the best OD I had ever heard on You Tube.
    Perhaps that's not the place to judge the audio of a pedal but I was aware of Wamplers excellent reputation and the great reviews that pedal had received.
    Bottom line is I simply cannot find the sweet spot of that pedal with my LP and my amp which is a Marshall DSL40C.I'm finding that pedal to be very dark and in conjunction with an LP that ain't a good thing. In fact I am considering selling it.
    You LP owners still using that pedal is it still a great pedal for you.? Do you use another OD pedal to drive it or perhaps a treble booster?
    Just curious about any tips you guys may have about using that pedal in conjunction with an LP, Tumnus settings you use etc., etc.
    Thanks. I appreciate any info you'd care to share.
    BP

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  16. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I don't use it as a drive. I use it to color the tone into my drive. I have the gain at around 10:30, treble around 1:30, and level as low as 8 o'clock.

Out of curiosity, I've just tried it as a drive. Gain at around 3:30, level at 9 o'clock, and treble still around 1:30. Doesn't sound dark at all here. I might leave it like that for a while, and see if I like using it as a drive pedal.

My LPs have vintage-voiced pups. In my experience, they sound much brighter than LPs I've had with 490R/Ts in them. I'm going into a Blackstar HT-100's clean channel, and that's set with ISF most of the way towards the 'American' side. That's probably a little brighter than the DSL40 you're going into.

Can you tell us more about how you're using the Tumnus, and how you have the DSL40 set?

17. BanditPanda

Thank you Stuff. My settings on the Tumnus are all over the place 'cause I haven't found the sweet spot.
    I've tried straight into the amp ( by passing a true buy pass pedal|)
    I've tried driving it with an EH LPB1 ( clean boost )
    I've tried it with a compressor in front of it driving it.
    On the DSL40C I try to keep all knobs uniform no matter which guitar I'm using.
    Those settings would be Tone @ 4 / Mids @ 7 / Bass @ 5 /Presence @2 / Resonance 0 /
    I run the Marshall clean channel and have experimented with the Tumnus at on amp gain factors from 5 to 10
    I have the usual time based effects running thru the effects loop.

Funny you mention the pups 'cause I had been inquiring 'bout member's overall opinion on the 490's in particular because I have a set of Duncan Antiquities that I have been debating replacing the 490's !

18. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I'm not familiar enough with the DSL40C to offer any advice worth anything there. Maybe someone else could chime in?

I had a set of 490s that came with my Custom. Hated those pups, and upset a few folks on here by what I said about those pups. If you're looking for a more vintage tone, you'll probably end up swapping out the 490s.

Are the 490s causing your dark tone problems with the Tumnus? Can't say for sure. I'd suggest trying your Tumnus with other guitars and/or amps first (any friends or a friendly local music shop that'll let you give it a go?) to work out whether its your guitar, amp, or Tumnus that's not co-operating.

Hope that helps.

BanditPanda likes this.
  19. kboman

kboman Senior Member

In my experience, Antiquities are bright, detailed and friendly pickups well worth trying in their own right.

bulletproof and BanditPanda like this.
  20. BanditPanda

NP Stuff.
    I do have several guitars which I have run thru the Tumnus.
    I'll search the forum to find out exactly what you said about the 490's.
    The fact that your LP Custom came stock with 490's is a pretty good Gibson endorsement of those P/U's. What does your LP carry now?
    DSL40C is known as a pretty bright amp.
    What styles of music are you playing?

Stuff likes this.