Waldstein is back on ebay

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by singlecut, Apr 2, 2011.

1. MacLoud

MacLoud Banned

Thinking to poke a stick into the wasps nest that is Waldstein, I , probably one of many, reported it as a fake.
    Hence Ebay may have got so many reports that they just had to pull it.

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I am laughing at the cavity and also how the backing plate route is flipped. But I have seen more that one replica which has that very same mistake.

3. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Not if you wear a fork for a belt buckle :lol:

4. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

...or a bunch of keys! Seriously, the guy responsible usually does much much better work than that. Maybe it was done on a budget?

5. MacLoud

MacLoud Banned

Several members here have stated that they know who is responsible for "Waldstein" the latest being Sgt.Pepper.

Why the secrecy?

The auction has been pulled, the chap is a looney.

It is obvious to the most casual observer the guitar is not a '59 so why the coy responses?

Please let us all in on the joke.
    Although this has been entertaining it is time for a new amuse bouche surely?

River likes this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Not surprising considering that Waldstein is VERY, VERY old and apparently holds the answers to ancient and mystical secrets.

edit: would anyone be so kind as to PM me the actual details of this guitar? I will keep them to myself. Pure curiosity.

7. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

You seem very well versed in the British guitar scene as well as authentic vintage guitars. Surely you already know the answers. I was only talking about the aged finish which to me looks very cheesy.

8. MacLoud

MacLoud Banned

9. MacLoud

MacLoud Banned

I am not being disingenuous I have no idea what is being sold here, is it a replica, fake, or the husk of a real Gibson from, say the 80s?
    Some illumination in the dark corners of this thread would be welcome.

10. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

replica.

11. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

He's baaaaaaaaa-aaaack! Item # 190525078052. Opening bid now set at $25k, lol.

12. hardrivr

hardrivr Senior Member

The more I see this guitar the more I think it's very ugly regardless who made it!

13. ryan7olson7

ryan7olson7 Senior Member

i like how he believes that because someone ripped him off and sold it to him as "REAL" and "GENUINE" and that by posting the excerpt from that ebay listing, somehow makes it legit and "genuine" now? $25K not in this life.... what a clown.

14. gleath

gleath Junior Member

Here is what he has listed on ebay, I want everyone to have a chance to laugh before it gets pulled:

READ THE ENTIRE AD

INTRODUCING The Grainger Corby Burst aka WALDSTEIN
    Waldstein was Beethoven's best friend maybe he can be yours too!!
    *** THE ENIGMA, THE EXCALIBUR OF ROCK N ROLL! IF Wayne would have known of him, he too would have coveted and wanted this guitar as MANY do! ....... due to popular demand T shirts will be available in the near future here on Ebay....... parts of the original ad from which I purchased the guitar HERE on Ebay, last year is below ((Ebay Item #110578853121.)) I can send you the entire ad if you like...,
    This is the famous Gibson Les Paul Waldstein. He is well known around the world by players and collectors alike! He started his life as an original Gibson Les Paul that has had MUCH work done to him. May have been retopped and or re-routed. Long Long ago... Head is Holly The guitar has been refretted at least one time and probably many more times.. The guitar has been verified by Gibson as an authentic Gibson Les Paul. There are secrets about this guitar that I will only reveal to the new owner, so please don’t bother emailing me about them as I will not answer those emails. I will reveal all the info I have accumulated including correspondence from Gibson in regards to his authenticity to the winning bidder. Phil at Maverick Music, whom owns MANY famous Guitars and has bought and sold MANY Gibson Les Pauls also confirms it is an authentic Gibson that has had much work done to it. I have a letter stating history and how the guitar was aquired on letterhead and signed by Phil as well. I guess if you doubt Maverick and Gibson, then don't bid, please. Though I know the guitar is vintage, I cannot verify exactly how old he is... He plays. looks and sounds unfricking beleivable!!You just need to know he is VERY old. There is no question about that. I have my own discoveries, opinions and beliefs, but I will not post them here… I want to keep the listing advert to include only that which has been verified and true by OTHERS, about the guitar. Though there are Les Paul bursts out there that are verified as authentic 58, 59 or 60 and their characteristics conform to the “norm” that collectors and those that are in the business of selling these guitars expect And are accustomed to seeing ( lol) , he is at the least their equal in sound and playability and without question, better than 99% of what is out there! He looks better than all of them in my opinion/\. He is an old warrior and has made the Concert circuit world wide! The guitar can also be heard on recordings as well as having toured extensively. He was owned by Professional touring/recording musicians as far back as the early 70’s but more recently was owned by Gary Grainger of Rod Stewart Group fame and was last owned by Michael Corby founding member of the British Rock group the Babys that launched the careers of a few Professional rock n rollers including John Waite ( “missing you” song and Bad English) . Corby is a musical Genius in his own right and should be a Producer as far as I am concerned. The guitar has a well known traceable history. Michael purchased the guitar in the late 80’s and owned it for at least 17 years. He was owned by Gary before that time… The guitar is second to none of many of the "so called" verified 59s that other people own and parade on the internet, in sound, and the top is STUNNING in person, let alone in photos!. It is really an amazing guitar! Anyone that has had the opportunity to own or even play this guitar can testify to this! The guitar can rival any burst owned by any Rock n Roller past or present, professional or collector. Though those that are in the business of selling bursts would argue otherwise, you cannot argue with the facts of how he looks or sounds. A very SUBSTANTIAL 5 FIGURE SUM exchanged hands for the guitar with all the hardware on him but whats more is Waldstein is proof you do not have to spend $300,000 to get the look or the sound!. Any work done to the guitar was not done to deceive anyone in my opinion and any cosmetic work was done to enhance looks as most of it was done MANY years ago .This guitar is Very OLD! The guitar was NOT purchased From Maverick as a 1959 Les Paul and is NOT offered as one, Truth is nobody knows the exact age of this instrument and it WILL remain an ENIGMA!! In some of the pics, the finish may look odd because the guitar is crazing very much. I have collected vintage art pottery ( living in Cincinnati, Rookwood pottery is everywhere!) for over three decades and I know finishes very well and how kilning effects them and how they look with age etc... This finish too is VERY old!
    When the guitar changed hands in the past, he was always offered as a Gibson that has had much work done to him. This is how he had been offered to Michael and Gary for that matter! When he was offered for sale by Michael, the guitar was offered as a Gibson that has had much work done to him… and Michael suggested to the interested party ( Maverick, that sought out Michael) to bring an expert with him to go over the instrument and the purchaser did in fact do this, then bought the guitar from him at his Castle in Scotland. Michael Corby is also well known for having sold Jimmy Page one of his favorite Les Pauls for a sum that had never been achieved in those days. 1000 pounds! In 1974 a les paul had NEVER sold for such an amount, and Page paid Michael for that guitar. Jimmy also toured with that guitar in 77. Ask Page, he will and has verified all this information! Much to the Chagrin of some.. Mike still has the receipt (signed by Page and him) and it can be viewed on his my space account on the web too! He knows his Gibson Guitars very well and actually visited the plant back in the 70's when the Babys were invited there by Gibson.........
    Michael offered all the information that he had, as anyone would and has when he sold Waldstein. He is a person of intergrity and he is a true gentleman in every sense of the word, regardless of the “rocknroll” past! In my research on the guitar, he was invaluable in obtaining information and would have NO vested interest the instrument, so he was a great source of real information. In my search for more information about this instrument, our paths crossed and I have made a good friend in Mike. Though there are people that have done much research on this guitar, he will always remain and enigma. There are characteristic that baffle the most well read authorities on these guitars and I can testify to this myself..This is one of the most recognizable bursts ever made. If you were to take 20 Les paul bursts out there and put them in front of many collectors and Les paul afficionados, side by side. They would pick out Waldstein before ANY of the others I can assure you this!! There is no other out there that comes close to his Adonis Beauty!! He is WINNING!!!
    When I took ownership, the guitar was stripped of all his hardware. He was offered and sold by Michael with PAFs, original 59 hardware including Bumble bee caps and a cali girl case to boot! He also had a bigsby attached .This was all stripped when I got the instrument.
    Now; The bridge, trc, tail piece, tuners and selector switch including tip/poker chip are of 58 or 59 vintage. The Volume and tone knobs are newer Gibson. The Harness is from a 73 Les Paul custom complete with green bean caps. The neck pup is a t-top from an early 70’s LP custom. The bridge pup is a very rare, t-top dirty finger, double white that were never offered for sale as far as I know and most likely were special ordered. They sound amazing and rival many PAFs that sell for thousands! For the true guitar player chasing sound and tone. Your quest will end with this Tiger top! There is no bigsby any longer on the guitar as you can see in the pictures. I have an original Gibson case that I will pack him in.

Here is a portion of the original ad from which I purchased the guitar HERE on EBAY in late August of last year. The guitar was verified as an authentic Gibson from Maverick music and I have the complete original ad including questions and answers and pictures. I also requested verification from Gibson, and received verification from Gibson that he is authentic. I will give everything to the winning bidder..:::

Ebay ad from which I purchased the guitar, as written by Maverick Music in August of 2010

"original & genuine Gibson Les Paul, it is years old & was the guitar of choice for the longest time for Michael Corby of "The Baby's"……, not sure quite how old the guitar is as it has undergone various conversions in it's life to look like a 50s burst, it has been issued with a SN number denoting a 59 serial number 9 0536, Michael Christened the guitar 'Waldstein" for reasons best known to himself, I bought this guitar from him directly in Scotland in 2006,it was a very well known guitar prior to that, the guitar is in excellent playable condition with zero issues, the truss rod works perfectly, there are ZERO repairs no neck or fret issues, it was equipped with a Bigsby so corresponding screw holes exist, interestingly, this guitar can be re imported to the EU VAT & DUTY free as it will be returning to the last country of export, the guitar has a superb top, whatever you decide to do with it is your choice but many options are open, it can simply rebuilt with repro parts & you're ready to go immediately, no repairs are needed,…., original 50s parts or reissue aged parts could be installed to provide a convincing burst look for stage or studio, the guitar can be heard on recordings, it doesn't have a case but we know how to pack & it will ship securely for any journey, home or international, I travel to London every month so hand delivery is possible for a fee, we ship internationally via secure & traceable means, local pickup or viewing welcome, this is a valuable rebuild project………."
    THIS IS only a Portion of the ORIGINAL AD FROM WHICH I BOUGHT THE GUITAR HERE ON EBAY LAST YEAR FROM MAVERICK MUSIC
    NOTICE THE WORDS ORIGINAL AND GENUINE IN HIS AD
    Lower 48 States only.> No international. I reserve the right to end the auction at any time and to cancel any bid at any time. Bidding is open to EVERYONE except those with more than one Negative feedback; if you have more than one negative feedback, your bid may be canceled if you do not contact me first BEFORE bidding. Ask any questions before bidding. I welcome all new bidders as well. Welcome to Ebay you will Worship this guitar!! I PACK very WELL. Shipping includes packaging costs and insurance. If you are farther West shipping may be a bit more. Again Insurance is manditory and is calculated as part of the shippimg..!!! May return if it is not as described MINUS shipping cost...You will NOT be disappointed and you will WORSHIP this guitar!! SOLD AND SHIPPED to Paypal confirmed address ONLY. If you want quicker shipping we can arrange for this at added expense otherwise the $100 will be for ground shipping/packaging and insurance. Signature will be required! Local pick up is OK in Cincinnati. I ship lightning fast once payment is received! Please don't hesitate to email me with any questions or concerns. I WILL ACCEPT A RETURN within 7 days for any reason... as long as it has not been damaged, or changed in any way... I will allow you to bid if you do not have a Pay Pal account now, but YOU MUST have a verified account by auction end....****** I WILL ACCEPT A RETURN FOR ANY REASON WITHIN 7 DAYS OF PURCHASE*********

15. gleath

gleath Junior Member

I'm asking for cavity pics. Wonder how he will respond. :naughty:

16. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

so after reading up on this in multiple threads... Is it actually a reworked Gibson, to look like a 59' or much older than it actually is? According to Eric's site it is a reworked Gibby now> I have no idea, just curious.

17. Mercutio

Mercutio Senior Member

i asked for pickup cavity pics as well as why the back plate is screwy, especially when compared to "my 2 authentic" les pauls.

18. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

I asked basically the same thing and never got an answer.

19. Bottleneck

Bottleneck Senior Member

I want a Waldstein t-shirt.
    I can't decide if I want it to say "Where's Waldstein" or "Remember Waldstein".
    I think he's on to something.....

20. Sterling # Sound

Sterling # Sound Senior Member

?