Waiting my NGD... Charvel model 6

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by paco1976, Jul 20, 2017.

1. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

Hi all,
    I have found a real steal for a Charvel Model 6, from 1988.
    Regarding pointy guitars this is a classic in my book, I am not really into that style but well, I saw it and I wanted it.
    It is really a steal when I see the price they normally sell for. Let's say, $300 is a good price for you? What do you think?

I will receive it by mid next week, can't wait. I've heard that these ones have a serious tone, really fat. Neck trough, active mid boost circuit that really rock, electronics and hardware is really good etc.
    People say "on par with the made in USA Jackson of the time", others say they were close.

IMG-20170716-WA0008.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Benjammin, El Pablo and tzd like this.
  2. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I bought a 86 Charvel model 4 new, it took me a whole year to save for it. I bought a 88 model 7 Charvel at an auction for 5.00 a year ago, its pretty rough. It has a reversed headstock maple neck/fretboard which I was told were hard to find these days. One day i'll fix it up. Congrats on a killer guitar!!!

Attached Files:

paco1976 likes this.
  3. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

I bought my Model 6 when it was brand new in 1987 and still have it. I think I paid about $775 at the time. Back then, it was the guitar to have in that price range and killed anything Gibson and Fender were putting out.

As for the plusses:
    1) The electronics were standard Jackson electronics that went into the US and Japanese guitars. The unit sounds very good and really fattens things up. Just be sure to remove your guitar cord whenever it is not in use or you will be buying batteries daily, seriously! And if the battery goes dead, you get NOTHING! I opted to scrap the preamp in mine because it ate batteries.
    2) The craftsmanship on the 6 was excellent. The fretwork was very good and the guitar feels very balanced in your hands.
    3) Tuning hardware is same on US and Japanese guitars and works well.

As for the minuses:
    1) The Jacksons and US guitars used better quality woods. You can feel and hear the difference between a US Jackson and a Japanese Charvel.
    2) The 3 mini toggles for pickup selection is impossible to use live. It is just too cumbersome. I had my tech remove the top two switches and replace them with a Strat 5-way switch. I left the bottom toggle as a coil tap for the humbucker.
    3) The Jackson licensed Floyd is made of cheap cast metal and I was constantly stripping screws on it. I eventually ditched mine for a real Floyd.

All in all, for $300, you will not find a better guitar. They are well-built, play great and sound awesome. Enjoy!

paco1976 likes this.
  4. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

awesome!

you stole that, great guitars, congrats

i have a few model series charvels, but the m6 has eluded me. definitely a bucket list fiddle for me

paco1976 likes this.
  5. bungle

bungle Senior Member

IMG_0263.JPG Congrats & welcome to the club. Killer guitars, my main axe for over two decades.

paco1976 likes this.
  6. fett

fett Premium Member

A great find. Congrats.

paco1976 likes this.