VST Plugins

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by armycopter, Sep 28, 2017.

1. armycopter

armycopter Senior Member

Hello, I am completely new at home recording with a DAW. I am using Reaper which I like so far. I’ve plugged my guitar into a Focusrite interface and everything works well.

I’ve found a few free VST plugins and messed around with them a bit but I would like to reduce the amount of time I mess with the technology and increase the amount of time I am playing and recording. So... I was hoping some smart people could point me in the right direction. I would like to have a couple of “go to” guitar tone setups. I’m looking for 1. A nice rock tone for my Les Paul. Some bands I like are 70’s/early 80’s Judas Priest, Great White, Foreigner, Dokken, GNR, Most any 70’s/80’s Rock. etc. and 2. A nice clean ambient tone for my Strat. Bands like The Fixx, The Outfield, The Police, Alan Parsons, etc.

I don’t mind doing the tweaking, just looking for some suggestions to get started. I think amp and cabinet are what I am looking for. Reaper seems to have all the other things (compression, reverb, delay, chorus, etc).

I would prefer free plugins but open to paid. Thank you.

2. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

3. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

So reaper is a DAW and it comes complete with Plug-Ins that replace some processing hardware. However it doesn't have a guitar amp simulator. So you need to either buy one or look (Google search) for free VST amp packages. Amplitube and Guitar Rig are two of the kind you buy. They can be used just like any other plug-in when inside Reaper and plug in like you usually do with your Focusrite. Or you can run a Mic into your Focusrite and Mic your guitar amp.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  4. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Working with VSTs and spending less time tweaking are contrary simply because there is such a wide range of possibilities. But I like Amplitude and it has pedal, amp, cabinet, room and rack FX all in one. So you'd cover a lot of ground just with that. I especially like Amplitube's cabinet and room simulation. I still have Amplitube 3, but I hear the room sim is even better in Amplitube 4.

I really think the room simulation makes or breaks these amp modelers.

Concerning free plugins, they are out there, but like most things, you get what you pay for. There's a lot of work in these VSTs so while you may find a free one that you really like, you're more likely going to find what you want in something like Amplitube.

Looks like you can get Amplitude for free with a limited number of amps etc. Great way to give it a try and then you can add on whatever amps etc you want.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubecs/

5. armycopter

armycopter Senior Member

Thank you, I downloaded Amplitude 3 Free and it seems to have an easy to use interface. It’s limited to certain presets but I think it will work - at least to get me going. If I like it, I may purchase the full version 4.